Question about early years reruns contract situation

Sally Keating

It has been a while since the administrators/owners of this website have heard from the Content Rights & Distribution at the Seven Network, as noted on the main site's article about the cancellation of the 7TWO repeat run at Episode 1880.

I note a lot of people have been asking questions as to when or if they are going to resume the repeat run, starting at Episode 1881, and the claims about the number of plays allowed for those episodes as quoted in what Dan F was officially told, don't really seem to hold water. Episodes beyond 1880 have appeared on the Seven Network's own official website, in "Births, Deaths & Marriages" (eg. Michael's death) and "Most shocking moments" (eg. Alex's blinding bomb blast).

Are the people in charge, as mentioned in the articles published on the main site, going to allow us to see the rest of the series because it's getting on to 2 years since the last update.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

It has been a while since the administrators/owners of this website have heard from the Content Rights & Distribution at the Seven Network, as noted on the main site's article about the cancellation of the 7TWO repeat run at Episode 1880.

I note a lot of people have been asking questions as to when or if they are going to resume the repeat run, starting at Episode 1881, and the claims about the number of plays allowed for those episodes as quoted in what Dan F was officially told, don't really seem to hold water. Episodes beyond 1880 have appeared on the Seven Network's own official website, in "Births, Deaths & Marriages" (eg. Michael's death) and "Most shocking moments" (eg. Alex's blinding bomb blast).

Are the people in charge, as mentioned in the articles published on the main site, going to allow us to see the rest of the series because it's getting on to 2 years since the last update.

I've just sent off another periodic email to Angus Ross (I did send others after that last one mentioned on the site) - again asking about the presence of episodes from this batch on 7Plus; whether that means any of the issues had been ironed out; and if not, whether they could be added to 7Plus as an alternative like shows such as A Country Practice and Blue Heelers have been.

The reply in full:

Hi Dan,

No update at this time unfortunately. The network has a few bigger financial issues to deal with first.

Best,
Angus

So the official line is still that this particular batch of H&A will incur significant costs for some reason (moreso than the 1000+ eps of A Country Practice they're apparently in the process of uploading in full, and the 510 eps of Blue Heelers already on there).... ?‍♂️

As a follow up, whilst appreciating the issues Seven are facing at the mo, I again pointed out the confusion surrounding those eps on 7Plus and the ones repeated in the UK, and asked about the possibility of the run being picked up from the next batch of episodes as a last resort—presuming that one doesn't have the same issues.

No reply as yet...

13 hours ago, Dan F said:

As a follow up, whilst appreciating the issues Seven are facing at the mo, I again pointed out the confusion surrounding those eps on 7Plus and the ones repeated in the UK, and asked about the possibility of the run being picked up from the next batch of episodes as a last resort—presuming that one doesn't have the same issues.

No reply as yet...

Seems pretty obvious they are full of bullpoop.

Thanks for the update Dan. You should let us know as and when these communications happen rather than wait until someone asks. Make us feel like we're all part of the same community rather than being kept on a "need to know" basis.

• 4 months later...
On 09/07/2020 at 13:00, Bobby Forever Missed said:

i've given up on the 90s eps returning to be honest as it's been three years and nothing

Same to be honest...

It's been over three years now and I believe 7Two's Home and Away: The Early Years reruns are as dead as a door nail.

Also, I did wonder about the ratings, maybe they weren't getting enough ratings and decided to take the reruns down and felt embarrassed to mention the real reason why they did.

See for me I really just want to know what the situation with Amazon is at this point. I really just want to see more of this show and I feel like we were getting so close to having a good thing and got it yanked away.  LOL one day maybe we'll get to see these classic episodes...

Amazon is pretty bad for yanking stuff away I've noticed. I was hoping to watch all of Water Rats from the start and it vanished overnight. Some films I watched have gone too. Very frustrating. It's a real shame they aren't putting the whole lot up on a streaming platform so that viewers worldwide can enjoy those older episodes. So many other TV series out there get to enjoy a second life on streaming platforms - why not H&A. We're talking here about episodes which aired long before many of the current cast were even born. 

On 24/11/2020 at 23:23, cymbaline said:

Amazon is pretty bad for yanking stuff away I've noticed. I was hoping to watch all of Water Rats from the start and it vanished overnight. Some films I watched have gone too. Very frustrating. It's a real shame they aren't putting the whole lot up on a streaming platform so that viewers worldwide can enjoy those older episodes. So many other TV series out there get to enjoy a second life on streaming platforms - why not H&A. We're talking here about episodes which aired long before many of the current cast were even born. 

I would love to see soaps in general on streaming platforms (as in, older episodes) but I think there must be a reason they're not - maybe too expensive of lack of demand, given how many episodes they produce a year, or too much of a hassle with contracts and music rights. Hopefully that'll change at some point but who knows.

• 6 months later...

I know the reruns are long in the past now, but was wondering in the show’s rating may have changed around 1996 which could have increased the number of PG and later M stories that we would have seen had the repeats continued. 
If that is the case, would 7two have been unable to air this darker content so early in the morning?

Archived