Endless Summer: 30 Years of H&A - Tuesday 17th July

John

2 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

I watched it. One bugbear is when they show old clips, they always seem a bit blurry and distorted when I know the original broadcast quality was much, much sharper in the 1990s. When I watched the episodes originally in the 1990s they were crisp and clear, like the 7Two reruns.  TV picture quality was still very sharp and good before this HD came in.

Not sure about this, any slight vibrations in my house and I lost a picture on my portable TV and had to stand adjusting the aerial! Even worse with channel 5 you could only pick 5 up on a clear windless day and even then it was full of static! LOLOL 

the good old days

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

I watched it. One bugbear is when they show old clips, they always seem a bit blurry and distorted when I know the original broadcast quality was much, much sharper in the 1990s. When I watched the episodes originally in the 1990s they were crisp and clear, like the 7Two reruns.  TV picture quality was still very sharp and good before this HD came in.

Old tapes and also different cameras and lighting techniques.  That makes a big difference.  You've also got to remember TVs have got bigger and flatter since the 90s.  I particularly remember the Summer 2012 reruns on 5* looking far better on a CRT than they did on a flatscreen set.  CRTs generally are more forgiving of certain artefacts than their LCD, Plasma and LED successors are.

I imagine what really causes the issue is "zooming" in a 4:3 picture into a 16:9 frame - which is why the post-2001 stuff didn't look quite so bad.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure Home and Away is shot progressive now as opposed to interlaced (the change happening when HD came in in 2003) so including old interlaced shot clips in a progressively shot show may induce conversion artefacts.

Would love to see Melissa George back but only Alf and Irene would remember her of course.

Good to see Debra too.  She's not been back for a while, but if Morag gets an onscreen funeral I think you could reasonably expect Pippa to return for that.  Potentially a way to bring Emma back as well if Dannii Minogue is up for it?

45 minutes ago, James Martin said:

Old tapes and also different cameras and lighting techniques.  That makes a big difference.  You've also got to remember TVs have got bigger and flatter since the 90s.  I particularly remember the Summer 2012 reruns on 5* looking far better on a CRT than they did on a flatscreen set.  CRTs generally are more forgiving of certain artefacts than their LCD, Plasma and LED successors are.

I imagine what really causes the issue is "zooming" in a 4:3 picture into a 16:9 frame - which is why the post-2001 stuff didn't look quite so bad.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure Home and Away is shot progressive now as opposed to interlaced (the change happening when HD came in in 2003) so including old interlaced shot clips in a progressively shot show may induce conversion artefacts.

Not to mention if you were watching on Freeview in the UK the picture quality of 5Star is shocking anyway, which certainly wouldn't do the old footage any favours. If I remember rightly the channel is not even broadcast at the full SD resolution, so the old footage would be going through many up and down conversions...

45 minutes ago, James Martin said:

Would love to see Melissa George back but only Alf and Irene would remember her of course.

And her good friend Maz.... Dylan's godmother?

26 minutes ago, jaybok1 said:

So since I’m not talking about an actual episode, I’m hoping I can get away with asking where I can watch this online ? Because I live in NZ and it didn’t air but I’m dying to see it 

5pm, Sunday 29th July on TVNZ 2 ?

(the full version of our rules do state that the same applies to other shows ?)

So after watching Endless Summer last night the first thing I thought was why didn't they have more people on it as they only had 15 or 16 past actors on it. here are a list of people and would of loved to seemed on it and my reasons why.

Joel Mcilroy- His Character Flynn was a very popular and iconic character and he was part of one of the  most iconic couples so I would of loved to here his view on some storylines and Flynn death

Beau Brady- Same reasoning as Joel he was popular with fans and Noah was one of the most loved characters when he was on screen and still is today

Adam Wilits- Steven was a OG and bought back so many times during the show. He was a fan favourite and apart some of the most popular storylines and I would loved to hear Adam take on the pilot and Steven and Selina relationship

Tempany Deckert- She was one of the most popular teenagers in her era and apart of one of the most unexpected relationships I would loved to hear her take on that storyline

Roger Oakley and Vanessa Downing- The show began because of then I would loved to hear there take on the pilot the storylines they were in and what the show like now

Lincoln Younes-  He was a fan favourite and apart of allot of major storylines

Paul Obrein- He was apart of one of the most popular couples ever and I would loved to hear his take on Jack storylines and Jack and Martha relationship

Mark Furze- He was a popular  actor who played a likeable character and I would loved to see him and Ray reunite

there are so many mores but here are just a few I would of liked to seen on it

Archived