Endless Summer: 30 Years of H&A - Tuesday 17th July

John

1 hour ago, Mks200 said:

I’m hoping it’s just the promo that has made it look that way. Hopefully there’s a bit more depth to it. 

The fact that they have bothered to get Nicolle Dickson and Alex Papps for it indicates at least some attention is going to be paid to the early years. 

But, yes, I do think a good chunk of focus will be on Chris Hemsworth, Heath Ledger etc. 

I hope so. I don’t mind Kate Ritchie but in my opinion, when I do see talk of the early years, it’s  always exclusively about her

14 hours ago, alexx said:

Sorry to be a downer and I hope I'm proved wrong, but I get the feeling this is going to be a gossip fest about who thought who was hot, how people had flings with each other and the stock standard answers to stock standard questions. I'd rather it be a detailed/informative documentary about the show and characters, writing, casting, how it's put together etc.

Hopefully it will be a nice mix about both. In my opinion actors who are secretly dating each other have a different dynamic on screen when they act together, that’s always interesting to see. I’ve had a few suspicions but let’s see if we hear all the secrets or only what is common knowledge like Danni and Julian . 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Home And Away: The truth about Dieter Brummer and Melissa George’s relationship

WHICH of Home And Away’s on-screen couple’s didn’t get on behind the scenes? Which actor was unhappy with the way her character was killed off? And which two scenes does Kate Ritchie still find mortifying?

They’re some of the juiciest revelations in the one-off TV special Home And Away: Endless Summer which will air on Tuesday, July 17 to celebrate the program’s 30th anniversary.

Here’s a sneak peek at some of the best bits.

SHANE AND ANGEL

Dieter Brummer [who played Shane] and Melissa George [who played Angel] may have been lovers on the small screen, but those feelings certainly didn’t translate into real life.

“There was a lot of pressure on us,” George recalls in the special. “We had to look like the perfect darling couple in public.”

They were anything but, though.

When asked what the two of them were really like off screen, Brummer makes it clear they weren’t the best of mates.

“It wasn’t like anything off screen,” he says with a cheeky grin. “It was all on screen.”

Ray Meagher [who plays Alf] adds, “I’m not sure that they got on personally 100 per cent, 100 per cent of the time”.

Dieter Brummer with Melissa George Home And Away.

Dieter Brummer with Melissa George Home And Away.Source:News Limited

AILSA’S DEATH

Judy Nunn’s character, Ailsa Stewart, was killed off Home And Away after suffering a heart attack. But after 12 years on the show, Nunn confesses that she was less than thrilled with her character’s demise.

“I was bored witless, it was an awful way,” she says.

“I would have loved a glorious death scene, of course. Something a little bit more befitting than clutching your chest with some fake perspiration on your brow and smashing to the floor among the cutlery. It wasn’t very dignified.”

Ray Meagher and Judy Nunn during Ailsa’s death scene.

Ray Meagher and Judy Nunn during Ailsa’s death scene.Source:News Corp Australia

RIVER BOYS ANGER

In 2011 the ‘River Boys’ burst into Summer Bay and breathed new life into the TV show.

Played by Steve Peacocke, Dan Ewing and Lincoln Younes, the Braxton brothers were a hit with viewers who couldn’t get enough of their bad boy antics.

But some of the older cast members of Home And Away weren’t so impressed with them.

“Sex, drugs and rock’n’roll wasn’t the basic mission of Home And Away and so to have the show weighted heavily that way, in my opinion, was a bit of a mistake,” Ray Meagher says.

Lynne McGranger adds, “with hindsight I can see that it was a successful move because it just made the place a bit more dramatic”.

Lincoln Younes, Stephen Peacocke and Dan Ewing, aka the River Boys.

Lincoln Younes, Stephen Peacocke and Dan Ewing, aka the River Boys.Source:Supplied

KATE RITCHIE’S MORTIFYING MEMORIES

Ritchie played Sally Fletcher on Home And Away for 20 years and won two Gold Logies in the process. But not all her memories from Summer Bay are happy ones.

“I often talk about getting my first bra on the tele and how mortifying that is,” Ritchie says in the TV special.

“I think I’d been wearing a bra for about 12 months before they realised maybe little Sally Fletcher wasn’t so little anymore, so they needed to catch up. I still remember the scene I think where I walk into the kitchen and I tell mum and dad at the time. It was awful.”

But, Ritchie adds, it’s “probably not as awful” as the time she had to kiss a boy on Home And Away for the first time and then sit in her loungeroom at home and watch it with her dad.

Cringe.

Kate Ritchie when she was just 8 years old.

Kate Ritchie when she was just 8 years old.Source:News Limited

KATE RITCHIE’S TOUGH TIME

When Ritchie finally walked away from the show, she had a hard time adjusting.

“This is going to sound ridiculous, but I felt that anything that I had ever done in my life, any achievement or anything great, was because of Sally Fletcher,” she says.

“I’ve come to terms with all these things now, but I didn’t feel like Kate had ever done anything. I hadn’t ever done anything and if I had, it had only been because of that show.

So that was the thing that really struck me.”

Home And Away: Endless Summer will air on Channel 7 on Tuesday, 17 July at 7.30pm.

Source

Kinda funny to think that it sounds like Judy would have preferred an ending she'd get today as opposed to the one she got.

I definitely feel like it's gonna be an hour long gossip fest but it's more than the actual show has given us.

14 hours ago, Mishyy said:

Home And Away: The truth about Dieter Brummer and Melissa George’s relationship

WHICH of Home And Away’s on-screen couple’s didn’t get on behind the scenes? Which actor was unhappy with the way her character was killed off? And which two scenes does Kate Ritchie still find mortifying?

They’re some of the juiciest revelations in the one-off TV special Home And Away: Endless Summer which will air on Tuesday, July 17 to celebrate the program’s 30th anniversary.

Here’s a sneak peek at some of the best bits.

SHANE AND ANGEL

Dieter Brummer [who played Shane] and Melissa George [who played Angel] may have been lovers on the small screen, but those feelings certainly didn’t translate into real life.

“There was a lot of pressure on us,” George recalls in the special. “We had to look like the perfect darling couple in public.”

They were anything but, though.

When asked what the two of them were really like off screen, Brummer makes it clear they weren’t the best of mates.

“It wasn’t like anything off screen,” he says with a cheeky grin. “It was all on screen.”

Ray Meagher [who plays Alf] adds, “I’m not sure that they got on personally 100 per cent, 100 per cent of the time”.

Dieter Brummer with Melissa George Home And Away.

Dieter Brummer with Melissa George Home And Away.Source:News Limited

AILSA’S DEATH

Judy Nunn’s character, Ailsa Stewart, was killed off Home And Away after suffering a heart attack. But after 12 years on the show, Nunn confesses that she was less than thrilled with her character’s demise.

“I was bored witless, it was an awful way,” she says.

“I would have loved a glorious death scene, of course. Something a little bit more befitting than clutching your chest with some fake perspiration on your brow and smashing to the floor among the cutlery. It wasn’t very dignified.”

Ray Meagher and Judy Nunn during Ailsa’s death scene.

Ray Meagher and Judy Nunn during Ailsa’s death scene.Source:News Corp Australia

RIVER BOYS ANGER

In 2011 the ‘River Boys’ burst into Summer Bay and breathed new life into the TV show.

Played by Steve Peacocke, Dan Ewing and Lincoln Younes, the Braxton brothers were a hit with viewers who couldn’t get enough of their bad boy antics.

But some of the older cast members of Home And Away weren’t so impressed with them.

“Sex, drugs and rock’n’roll wasn’t the basic mission of Home And Away and so to have the show weighted heavily that way, in my opinion, was a bit of a mistake,” Ray Meagher says.

Lynne McGranger adds, “with hindsight I can see that it was a successful move because it just made the place a bit more dramatic”.

Lincoln Younes, Stephen Peacocke and Dan Ewing, aka the River Boys.

Lincoln Younes, Stephen Peacocke and Dan Ewing, aka the River Boys.Source:Supplied

KATE RITCHIE’S MORTIFYING MEMORIES

Ritchie played Sally Fletcher on Home And Away for 20 years and won two Gold Logies in the process. But not all her memories from Summer Bay are happy ones.

“I often talk about getting my first bra on the tele and how mortifying that is,” Ritchie says in the TV special.

“I think I’d been wearing a bra for about 12 months before they realised maybe little Sally Fletcher wasn’t so little anymore, so they needed to catch up. I still remember the scene I think where I walk into the kitchen and I tell mum and dad at the time. It was awful.”

But, Ritchie adds, it’s “probably not as awful” as the time she had to kiss a boy on Home And Away for the first time and then sit in her loungeroom at home and watch it with her dad.

Cringe.

Kate Ritchie when she was just 8 years old.

Kate Ritchie when she was just 8 years old.Source:News Limited

KATE RITCHIE’S TOUGH TIME

When Ritchie finally walked away from the show, she had a hard time adjusting.

“This is going to sound ridiculous, but I felt that anything that I had ever done in my life, any achievement or anything great, was because of Sally Fletcher,” she says.

“I’ve come to terms with all these things now, but I didn’t feel like Kate had ever done anything. I hadn’t ever done anything and if I had, it had only been because of that show.

So that was the thing that really struck me.”

Home And Away: Endless Summer will air on Channel 7 on Tuesday, 17 July at 7.30pm.

Source

Thanks

Hopefully someone writes a review for those of us not living in Australia or UK 

4 hours ago, ~Lynd~ said:

Kinda funny to think that it sounds like Judy would have preferred an ending she'd get today as opposed to the one she got.

It's badly worded, or maybe they've taken a snippet of what she said out of context. It's not so much the fact that Ailsa collapsed, it's that she had no story attached to it. After 13 years, out of nowhere, she just clutched her chest and fell, and the next scene was her funeral. All the emotional stuff was skipped. She (the character and the actress) deserved so much more than that. So did the viewers.

She did an interview with a Home and Away website a few years ago where she explained this in more detail but I can't find it now.

Archived