Endless Summer: 30 Years of H&A - Tuesday 17th July

John

1 hour ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I don't understand everyone always saying it would be tricky to bring a character back as they only know Alf etc and all their associated characters have left.

Yeah, I don't really see how only knowing the biggest character of all time would make it tricky to bring her back. If anything, it would make even more sense. Besides, she'd have met Marilyn before even if she might not remember her that well, and she'd probably have met Roo off-screen. I love Dannii Minogue, always have. She is underrated, has an excellent music back catalog, and the thought of her returning to H&A is amazing. I don't see it happening, but I understand that the producers are incompetent so I totally get why they won't ask her back.

Perhaps Neighbours should ask Dannii to do a cameo, not as herself, but as a guest character. Neighbours seems to have a tradition these days of employing former H&A actors that H&A is too stupid to bring back.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems Debra Lawrance has said that the show of today is a very different show to her days, like what many people say. She does belong to the "real" H&A. Yes, it does seem Neighbours and H&A keep swapping actors now. We may one day see Tina Thomsen, Laura Vazquez or Julian McMahon in Neighbours.

As I said, my dream casting in H&A for a former Neighbours actor would be Robert Forza (Rocco Cammeniti in Neighbours). If ever I found that Robert Forza/Jeff Kovski/Annie Jones was coming into H&A I would jump with joy, even for just a guest role.

It's a shame that Angie (Laurie Foell) has been completely forgotten in all these celebrations.  Not a single mention or clip of her. I know there's been a truck-full of villains and bad guys in the past 15 years, most of them replaceable and forgettable, and also many before her too, but people seem to have forgotten just how much impact her character had. She changed the show.

21 hours ago, Dan F said:

Yes that did jar a bit, cutting to that when Ray & Kate were clearly talking about her proper departure.

But then they oddly included the hug from 2008 right at the end of the sequence....so they obviously had the right footage to hand! ?

Yes, that was so odd.

I’m surprised they didn’t show Chris Hemsworth’s cameo given they showed Lleyton Hewitt’s.

Speaking of, Bec Hewitt’s memories were more story related, given how long she was on the show I’d have expected more anecdotes.

2 hours ago, Sally Keating said:

It's a shame that Angie (Laurie Foell) has been completely forgotten in all these celebrations.  Not a single mention or clip of her. I know there's been a truck-full of villains and bad guys in the past 15 years, most of them replaceable and forgettable, and also many before her too, but people seem to have forgotten just how much impact her character had. She changed the show.

Angie certainly did, yes. She was a villain back when they were actually three dimensional and actually memorable (as opposed to the revolving the door of villains we've had since the mid 2000s), but then bringing Laurie back as Josie was just a joke, which is perhaps why people have avoided mentioning her?

I'd say Angie would be in the top three villains, along with perhaps Saul and Dodge. 

7 hours ago, Sally Keating said:

Well most of the female villains (Jade, Charlotte for example) have just been poor imitations of Angie

22 hours ago, adam436 said:

Angie certainly did, yes. She was a villain back when they were actually three dimensional and actually memorable (as opposed to the revolving the door of villains we've had since the mid 2000s), but then bringing Laurie back as Josie was just a joke, which is perhaps why people have avoided mentioning her?

I'd say Angie would be in the top three villains, along with perhaps Saul and Dodge. 

When you say Josie was a joke, are you referring to her being played by the same actress, or because you didn't like the character and didn't think she worked?

I personally loved Josie and I liked how different Laurie Foell played her to Angie. Whereas Angie was cool and icy, Josie was warm and open. She made mistakes during her time in Summer Bay, but she wasn't a nasty person. She genuinely cared for people and wanted the best for people. The trouble was, because she looked so much like Angie, people thought that she would be as calculating as Angie and they didn't give her a chance for a while. I would love it if she came back one day.

7 hours ago, Jamie! said:

When you say Josie was a joke, are you referring to her being played by the same actress, or because you didn't like the character and didn't think she worked?

A bit of both I suppose, but more so that the Josie was played by the same actress. Nothing against Laurie, as she's clearly a talented actress, but it was just too much. The character didn't last long, so I can't be the only one who think she wasn't really working out. 

I watched the special today and have to say I thought it was a rather sweet tribute. You are never going to please everyone, and considering we are talking the length of 30 years they are obviously going to choose between what they include/omit. I thought the spread of cast members they interviewed was pretty balanced between the "originals" and the "newbies". Had to laugh at Ada recounting her chat to Chris H - how he may not make it in Hollywood and then BAM! 6 weeks later he is Thor! ?

I feel like Ray and Kate offered the most in terms of insight into what the show was like at different stages, and it was fascinating to hear Ray and Lynne speak about how they view the River Boys era of the show. I always appreciate it when past cast members speak fondly of their time on the show, and I think as a fan, that is all you can really ask for. I do not think it is fair to continue to ask actors who have left if they would come back. This was their job, and as a professional, you generally do not go back to the place you once worked after you have left. It would be weird.

A very kind tribute to the show, and I think the special really was one for the fans which I appreciated.

I watched it tonight and really enjoyed it. It was great to take a trip down memory lane, but as others have mentioned, it could have been longer, maybe 90 minutes or so. There are so many fond memories to choose from. Melissa George surprised me in a positive way, I didn’t expect her to make that good of impression at all. It would have been great to see many more actors talk about their memories, but with only 47 minutes the time is limited. 

Archived