2018 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

2 hours ago, c120701 said:

I don’t think this is popular opinion, but Ryder is rapidly becoming one of my favourite characters, he’s very well formed - fun, lost, scared, a little broken, good-hearted and well intentioned. I quite like the little teen group, Coco is probably my least favourite of the three.

I’ll second this. All this! 

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is what it takes to get Raffy in the same room as the Morgans: Her to be ill in a hospital bed! At least she got to croak a few lines at them before passing out.John and Marilyn pretty much seemed on the outside here.The hospital really needs more staff, given that the only people available to work on Raffy were her brother and sister.Ryder ultimately provided some pretty useful information.I can understand John having a go at Ryder but it wasn't necessary, he's beating himself up already.Coco and Raffy acknowledged that they went with him by choice and it was even Raffy's idea to use the tunnel.I'm surprised Justin didn't have a go at Ryder too given his recent bad temper but instead he got a nice scene with Tori.

Maggie finally gets the all clear, it's good that they've followed through on this even though it's only been about 12 weeks since the transplant so apparently they lost a couple along the way! (The huge jumps didn't help.) Of course, the celebration stops Coco being involved in Raffy's storyline even though Ziggy's there supporting Brody; I did like her little bits at the Diner and the fact she helped look for Ryder (although it might have helped if someone had gone after him straightaway instead of waiting however long!).

I'm a Ryder fan too though he does try your patience at times.  I don't know why he was beating himself up when Raffy was brought in, he did fine, he obviously stayed with her until help came which was absolutely the right thing to do and there wasn't anything else he could have done  for her.  His recollection of all Raffy's symptoms, her not remembering she said she'd wait for him, mention of  a headache, the choking and her behaviour when he found her, seemingly unrelated to anyone else, helped Tori enormously to diagnose what was wrong with her.  I feel I must mention I thought it was a bit remiss that teacher/adjudicator didn't spot that there was something  off with Raffy, she was standing right behind her. No Maz there was nothing you should have spotted  so don't blame yourself, as Tori said Raffy herself wouldn't have realised anything was wrong.  Even if she had been at home - her other one - no guarantee anyone would have noticed and that's with two doctors living there.  it was good to see everyone there for her and unusually no-one started shouting at Tori or Mason which is the norm.  The bleed as Tori explained was a slow one and she had had scans at the time and nothing showed up.  I did  notice all the other doctors and nurses had abandoned NDH so Tori, with Mason's help, against, not for the first time, protocol,  had to operate on a family member. Not just fixing a broken limb either, no using a drill to put a bore hole in Raffy's skull, is Tori that qualified?  John's outburst at Ryder  was totally out of order, though I can understand he was upset, Marilyn was a lot more understanding towards him. Hope John manages to find him.  It was mentioned it was a week ago the accident happened but at the same tine it was 15 days to go for Maggie's all clear.:unsure:   Raffy's age was given as 15 and apropos of nothing isn't it time Coco was 17?  Liked that little scene in Tori's office when Justin asked her if she wanted to be the one who told Raffy she'd put off her ICF injection because of her.

Good news though for Maggie and the Astoni's - she's clear of cancer - lovely of Tori to give the news in person.  You could tell by her manner when she came in it wasn't going to be bad. Six monthly check ups is good too.  Shame that their celebration party was marred by the news about Raffy and of course Ziggy would want to be with Brody.  I didn't realise Justin knew Brody had put off that TV show because of Maggie's scare about the bruise, but it seems he did and just as Justin was going to ring them to give them the go ahead they hear about Raffy.  As an aside though great all these foodies are pitching up at Salt, but I hope it's not at the expense of them crowding out the locals who have always dined at Salt.

Mixed feelings about Dean's mum.  I think she's an unstable and dangerous person and needs to be locked up in a psych ward.  But if she hit John when she was driving and that would have meant his character being written out of the show, I would have been OK with it.

Jasmine was annoying yet again the way she was going on about the IVF to Tori during their shift and to Irene in the Diner later on.  I do think Tori did the right thing getting Jasmine to tell Robbo how she felt and Tori was funny when she was with Justin and saw Jasmine with Robbo, knew what was going on and made an excuse to get away quickly.  I also enjoyed the banter with Tori and Justin when she was telling him about her cycles and he was grossed out.  The best part of Wednesday's episode was after Jasmine told Robbo how she felt and she went to see him to get his decision afterwards.  She was so certain them being together was in the bag and seemed quite smug about it so I almost cheered when he rejected her and she was crying.  It' was absolutely wonderful.:D

Regarding Ryder's behaviour, I was surprised Leah didn't actually consider contacting Ryder's mum who's a lot closer than his other relatives.

Poor Raffy.  Once again we can see how selfless a person she is, even though she just had a brain haemorrhage, she was more worried about how her state affected Ryder than she was about herself.  Interesting when her BP rose (according to Mason) it was showing on the monitor as 120/80 i.e. within normal range.  It was also interesting seeing Tori momentarily freeze when Raffy deteriorated just before she was forced to make a decision to operate. It was good to show that rather than her being calm most of the time, even when the patient is a family member.

I didn't like the way John blamed Ryder as it seemed quite petty but I don't have a particularly high opinion of John anyway i.e. my comment above.

Well, after my thoughts last week, I greeted Roo's return with more of an eye roll than cheers.At least we didn't get subjected to her being a magic cure-all for Ryder's problems and by the end she's struggling with him as much as Leah did.Even though I disagreed with John talking to Ryder the way he did, I was dreading Roo going all mama bear on him and giving him a tongue-lashing, but thankfully it was restricted to one frosty moment and all good by episode's end.I'm glad too that she let Ryder visit Raffy: It may not have done much good, but it was better than keeping him away.Still, he needs to have a think about whether throwing his education away is actually what Raffy would want, given she was the one who got him to go to his exams in the first place.I was disappointed that, after a good scene near the start which again showed some overdue selflessness, Coco promptly disappeared for the rest of the episode: I want her to visit Raffy too.Not looking too good for the Raffster at the moment but hopefully things can only get better.

I wasn't at all impressed by Tori's "Yay, Jasmine got hurt and I got what I want" behaviour last week, so I'm glad that she seemed uncomfortable with it now the euphoria's worn off.I did feel for Jasmine, she's a good person, although objectively I did find her a bit petulant in her last chat with Robbo.There's not much logic to her reaction, I get that it would be embarassing now Tori and Robbo know how she feels, but she'd have to deal with Tori getting pregnant even if last week never happened.Justin continues to be a douche, not caring if Jasmine and Robbo are miserable so long as Tori's okay.Whilst she's not exactly making a sacrifice, Tori did finally manage to be a good friend to Robbo at the end instead of delivering ultimatums and emotional blackmail.Mind you, I'd still prefer Mason/Jasmine to Robbo/Jasmine, and I'm glad they had a scene together as he does for her what she's tried to do for Robbo, put the feelings aside and just be a friend.(Of course, he also had Tori trying to get him to tell her how he feels, but fortunately he didn't get a "If you don't, I'll never have a baby" so thought better of it.)

Yes Coco did indeed redeem herself after her not being such a good friend behaviour of late, her finding Ryder and reassuring him was nice with no awkwardness.   She didn't blame him and even said it was her and Raffy's choice to go with Ryder.  But no matter how many people tell him that, even if he recognises it himself on one level, he is still going to blame himself. Was a bit odd that after seeing Ryder home she did disappear once Roo rocked up, but I guess she was respecting the fact they needed time on their own.  Roo's return has taken the load off Leah and Ryder was pleased to see her.  Good that Roo kept out of the John/Ryder dispute and let them sort it by themselves, John's apology was a bit offhand but Ryder seemed OK with it.  I think Ryder needed to see Raffy, not putting his mind at rest exactly but being able to tell her he was sorry.  Jasmine was very good with him, no patronising or treating him like a kid.  I agree with you Red Raffy would give Ryder a right ear bashing if she knew he wasn't going to do his exams because he felt there was no point.

Certainly not looking good for Raffs, one step forward six back. Although not quite got to shouting at her, Justin does, as any relative would I guess, keeps wanting Tori to say she'll be OK, but that is something she can't predict, it's all down to Raffy in a strange way and how she can fight it. Tori must be exhausted she's worked hard on Raffy, though wonder of wonders a different doctor operated on her. I know she's only just started her IVF treatment but it can't be good for her health wise. Quite a few awkward moments with Jasmine/Tori/Robbo, all skirting round 'the' issue.  Jasmine was very kind and caring towards Tori and telling her to go and have a quite sit down after seeing how tired she was.  Understand why Robbo would be concerned, he does have an investment in the whole matter.  That was a nice scene between Jasmine & Mason, it's good they are good friends now and he does understand rejection. I don't suppose Robbo really needs Tori's permission to date Jasmine but knowing she's OK with it does make it easier to be in the open. It was unfair of Tori to play the big sister/mentor/boss card to get out of Mason what Jasmine told him in private - nothing to do with work.  Can't blame Jasmine for telling Robbo where to go, she finally opened her heart up to him, knows he feels the same, yet he chose Tori, which she accepts, even if he cares for her.  Now he wants to be with her, I'd be all over the place too, hopefully he'll win her round, no matter how easy Tori thinks it will be there will be conflict.

Karen came tearing back like a tornado in I'm guessing a stolen car. On one hand Dean's going to be relieved she's OK but on the other he's responsible for her again. 

Awww poor Jasmine.  So we're supposed to feel sorry for her whilst Raffy is fighting for her life.  No chance.  Yes rejection is tough.  Although I guess she knows how all the other guys she knocked back (Robbo included) felt.  It was annoying that the whole poor me, Robbo doesn't want me partly overshadowed the seriousness of Raffy's condition.  And it was really annoying when she confronted Robbo and wanted him to give her space, ignoring the fact he went to check on Tori because her sister is poorly.  But it's more important he avoids Jasmine to spare her feelings (because she can't handle it) than it is to support Tori who's sister is very ill.

I think that at some point, while planning this episode, one of the writers must have thought, "Isn't Raffy related to the Morgans?" Yes, I am that petty to bring this up now! ?

All jokes aside though, I found the scenes at the Hospital very tender, with all the Morgans most of the time not saying anything, just being there for comfort for each other. Some brilliant acting from Olivia Debbie these last few episodes, her showing Raffy's fear and distress was supreme, and, as Slade pointed out, her worrying about Ryder even after going to the hospital shows the considerate person she is. It must have been extremely difficult for Mason and Tori to operate on her, but I was extremely impressed by their overall professional attitude. I'm beginning to like Mason again, the way he was a good friend to Jasmine and comforting Tori, just shows the kind guy he can be (and was for a lot of this year and the previous), and that I want to see more. John's outburst at Ryder was pretty much unnecessary, because, while I get John is worried for Raffy, he doesn't really get to have a go at Ryder like that in my opinion, and also, as others had pointed out, it wasn't Ryder's fault. Coco and Raffy could have said no to the trip, it was their own decision. I agree very much with c12070's opinion of Ryder: while I think he can be a tool sometimes, he has a good heart, and underneath all that cool attitude is very sensitive. Also, welcome back Roo. I do get Red's point of her not contacting Ryder this whole time, but I'll let it go since she was busy with the death of her sister-in law and also she trusted Leah to take care of Ryder. 

While I think that this particular love triangle has being going on a bit too long now, I'm glad that Tori is encouraging Robbo to tell Jasmine how he feels. I feel for Jasmine, because she really does care for Robbo and it must have hurt and awkward, and also because she is a decent person (as shown when she was with Tori and Ryder), even though I think she was a bit cold and snappy in her last conversation with Robbo. I really did like Tori here, because she still going ahead with her plans, takes care of her sister, and encourages her friends to be happy, though I'm not entirely sure about that it won't mix with Tori and Robbo's plans. 

Also, I forget, is Mason working as an actual employee at the hospital? Because if he is, why would he need to have shifts at the gym?

Archived