2018 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Thing is Ryder wasn't there to study he'd just been dumped there, without pre-warning Maggie, to keep him out of trouble or so Leah and Alf saw it. Although he shouldn't have shouted at Maggie like he did he was right she was being treated as an unpaid babysitter. They, the adults, were as he said playing pass the parcel with him.  Wonder he lasted as long as he did at the Astoni's before blowing up.  Coco did overreact at Ryder using her precious green marker pen.:rolleyes:  The dynamic of their friendship has suffered since Ryder & Coco's second break up, it was so much easier before he & Coco got feelings for each other and were just friends.  They were the first people he really connected with when he first arrived playfully flirting with them both and causing Justin some grief, he didn't have any male friends until Ty arrived. Poor Raffy is stuck in the middle, wanting to have a joke along with Ryder but also wanting to study alongside Coco and be serious. Alf was right he is in danger of reverting to the lad he was when he arrived with his sleep  and attention issues - hey they haven't been forgotten - so they meaning him and Leah as Roo is away need to give him some direction and purpose.  Though I'm not sure ordering him home was a good idea.  Nor I have to add is contriving to keep him away from Dean, when will adults ever learn that telling your kids to stay away from that bad influence never works,  all they do is sneak off to see them behind your back  and leave you wondering where they are.  Much better, I would have thought,  is to let them mix with/see them that way it'll be out in the open and the allure of disobeying your elders will have gone. Dean looked deflated when Alf dragged Ryder off, he seems to have settled down a bit after the pep talk from Willow & Colby and had done his Community Service stint for the day.

I had forgotten Justin witnessed his parents death, in fact his mum died by standing in front of Justin according to his profile, but it does seem to have affected Brody more with the traumas I've mentioned before. I think that is the first time that his age,16, when it happened has been mentioned. I wouldn't call it a sulk, to him it brought up bad/sad memories again. I'm glad Ziggy talked to Justin about it, it was a surprise Brody hadn't told her he witnessed his parents murder, though to be fair not something you can easily drop into a conversation. Good for Justin for not letting Brody off and waiting for him to tell him what was wrong and yes Mason does deserve a rollicking for being so unkind/vicious. Pleased Ziggy  didn't blow up at him for not telling her but was instead sympathetic and echoed what Maggie had said about his playing  the guitar again it would be honouring his mums memory to teach Maggie to cook and she'd be pleased he was passing on his skill to someone else.  I did wryly smile to myself when he told Ziggy he was envious of the Astoni's and how together they were and always there for each other - well even Ziggy raised her eyebrows. Has he forgotten how they first met  - Ziggy on the run from her dad as she had nicked their neighbours car, all the trauma there was when the Astoni's first came to the bay,  Ziggy running away in SALT's van with Brody in the back and him driving her back to the bay, hardly a happy well adjusted family.  Then there was that secret!  The Morgan's have are just as close knit and there for each other, they've had to be.  They have their fair share of arguments with one or the other of them falling out with another one, with one swearing not to forgive the other but in the end they unite again as a family.

Mason does seem to have lost his way since Beth, she brought out the best in him, he went off the rails after she died, and OK before when he was so desperate to save her he pressured the grieving widower, hassled the transplant unit using Tori's name, but could we honestly say we wouldn't have done the same thing if we'd been in his position.   Dempsey doing what she did really has knocked him back, he had a chance for a new relationship together with a family. Lets' face it all the Morgan's have done questionable things since they arrived.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alf's episode count this week:Five, although it looks like we might not be seeing him again for a while.

Robbo and counselling was never a good mix: He pretty much ducked out of the sessions that were part of his bail and refused to take it seriously with the feds.So chances of this one backfiring were pretty high. There's a distinct feeling that Tori really hasn't thought this through, first not considering the implications of asking Robbo to be a donor, then not considering how him becoming a father again will affect him.Still, nice twist at the end with Robbo going back to the counsellor.

I'm wondering if the show's realised they took Coco a bit too far in the bad friend stakes, because she's suddenly being a lot more reflective, more so than Raffy even, and seeing things from Ryder's perspective. After his initial tantrums, some honest talking from Alf seemed to have Ryder turning a corner but then... It's sad about Caroline, but the show did basically have her leave with a death sentence, so it's good that they followed through rather than ignoring it.Very bad timing though.On careful reflection, I think Alf did have a valid reason for leaving Ryder behind (a passport would take days to arrange at least) but he probably could have been a bit more sensitive.So, after their promises Coco and Raffy don't really have any choice but to join Ryder on his "adventure".

Forgot to mention that I was pleased we did actually have Brody talking to Ziggy about his problems: I was worried it was going to be Maggie doing the heavy lifting!

It was really quite funny seeing Jasmine fishing for information to Colby regarding Robbo.  Although she went right back to being annoying getting into Mason's ear and winding him up during the boxing class just because she couldn't handle the fact that Robbo went off with Tori.  I wasn't keen on Mason telling Jasmine about the pregnancy but her reaction was worth it.  Still she was trying to make it all about her.  "Why didn't he tell me?", "He's my friend".

I do think it's the correct approach Robbo having counselling to assess his state of mind and to determine if he's a suitable donor.  I really didn't like the way Tori was acting afterwards mouthing off to Leah about it so I was glad Leah could see things from Robbo's point of view.  I do think Tori had a point though.  You could argue it would be a shame if she changes her mind about this although if she did, I suspect if Jasmine finds out she's going to be rubbing her hands with glee.

McCarthy made me laugh re Colby and Chelsea - "Just what this station needs a pair of jilted ex lovers".  I was actually pleased when Chelsea gave John a parking ticket considering how up himself he normally is but wasn't happy when she let him off.  Regardless if he was reporting a crime, if it had been someone else in his position John wouldn't have accepted the cops letting them off.  The way Chelsea's was acting towards Colby last week again made me think the behaviour could be perceived by some as stalking if she were male.

Coco's pretty self-absorbed so I was a little surprised she was concerned about Ryder and it seems quite out of character.  It's difficult because I don't think she's responsible for Ryder's actions even though she wasn't a good girlfriend.  Either way I just don't think her being friends with him is going to work because it's too soon for him to be over her.

On 19/10/2018 at 17:32, CaptainHulk said:

Anyhoo, Ryder WAS being a tool. Anyone else would told him, "Look, if you're not here to study, go home." Maggie is recovering and doesn't need that kind of BS. Then again, Considerate Teens are rare breed in H&A.

Huh? Ryder didn’t want to be their and even asked Maggie to leave. The convo went like this

Ryder: I don’t want to be here and you don’t want me here so can I leave?

Maggie: No because Leah and Alf said you can’t leave. 

:huh:

That was a pretty clever ending on Friday, Tori knocks on the door to the flat, the door opens, Robbo is standing there, but he's at the counsellors telling her he's ready to talk.  I do have to say she was very pushy, I thought Counsellors were supposed to just probe to get answers out of their patients. Seemed to me more like a police interrogation, but of course the Counsellor doesn't know how or why they died.   Counselling isn't for everyone but hopefully Robbo will see it doesn't mean he's weak for seeking it out. That is, I think, the first time he's actually talked that much about Lauren, Luc and Sofia. He had to suppress his feelings about their death to be able to carry on with his job and the longer he left it the harder it was to come to terms with and the way they died. That work out he was putting himself through must have helped him focus his mind. Leah has become Tori's confidante  so no surprise she talked to her and Leah did give good advice.  Will we see the conclusion tonight or have to wait.

Good to see Coco realise she's been neglectful of both Ryder and Raffy, though even Raffy admitted she'd not been keeping in touch with Ryder.  I guess it would have seemed to Ryder they only decided to talk to him because they felt sorry for him, but luckily he got off his high horse and joined them at the juice bar.  Liked Ryder's ultimatum that next time they do something he suggests which turns out to be, guess what, exploring Dean's 'haunted' house.

Knew as soon as Alf told Ryder he wouldn't be going anywhere (and if you'd read the plot lines in the TV mags) he soon would be.  Is it usual for a lad of Ryder's age not to have a passport? You tend to forget Duncan is Ryder's half-brother.  Now I may be getting way way ahead of myself but if Duncan comes back to the bay could that not cause a further complication with Tori and Robbo and the baby plan, they had been a sort of item last time he was there?

On 19 October 2018 at 14:39, H&Alover said:

Mason, OK before when he was so desperate to save her he pressured the grieving widower, hassled the transplant unit using Tori's name, but could we honestly say we wouldn't have done the same thing if we'd been in his position. 

To be honest, I couldn't say that I wouldn't have behaved the same way he did back then, what he did is understandable, he was worried for his girlfriend, as anyone would, but it still doesn't make his behaviour with the husband right even if it is understandable. That's the kind of thing I have felt for a very long time with character's actions on the show, that they're relatable and understandable but it doesn't mean that it's still the right thing to do. I had the upmost sympathy for Brax when he lost Casey and when he was looking to get revenge on Pirovic, I was thinking to myself "To be fair I would be feeling the same thoughts of revenge as he is," but it still doesn't make the idea of revenge the right way, no matter how satisfying it may feel to some. My heart broke for Evie back in 2016, and I understood where she was coming from when she covered for Josh, she has already lost so much, of course she was afraid of losing anyone else, but it was still no excuse for covering up a murder and breaking the law. To me, this same principle applies here. I feel so sorry for Mason, he has had the worst relationship luck on the show since Leah, in my opinion, but it's no excuse to act like a jerk towards everyone and making things worse for Brody with what he knew was a hurtful comment. 

On 19 October 2018 at 00:20, Red Ranger 1 said:

I thought from the promo that yesterday might be the episode where I tired of Grumpy Mason. But while I thought his comment was below the belt, I actually didn’t have that much sympathy for Brody. He starts the day stealing all the milk again in a way that’s either thoughtless or deliberately pushing Mason’s buttons. And then, after being dealt that zinger, he goes and takes it out on Ziggy, not for the first time lately, in much the same way everyone’s criticising Mason of doing. So actually, I don’t think he’s any better, yet Brody’s the golden child and Mason’s the one people are quick to turn on. 

Anyway, Brody finally got over his sulk after a talking to from Justin but it feels like he really needs to trust Ziggy and stop using her as a verbal punchbag.

I respectfully disagree with this. I mean, even if Brody was pushing Mason's buttons (though I wouldn't think deliberately, I mean, what would be the point of doing it deliberately), since it was over a little thing that I believe it doesn't excuse what Mason said to him. And it wasn't in a blind rage or something like that when Mason said it, he passed on that remark in a calm, and rather crude way that left me with the impression that he knew that comment would strike Brody. Mason's not stupid, he knew Brody's past and his bad memories. Also, please don't see this as a personal attack, but I wouldn't call a reaction to remembering a traumatic experience of watching his own parents get murdered before his very eyes a "sulk" as you have. Don't get me wrong, it's no excuse for him to be treating Ziggy like this (in fact I'm rather disappointed lately that Brody hasn't until recently been talking about his past with his supposed 'soulmate'), he shouldn't do that, but it's a lot more going on than just a 'sulk' and it still doesn't excuse what Mason did, which, to me, is actually kind of worse because I believe he intended to leave Brody hurt.

In any case, I'm glad that Justin talked Brody around and that he actually talked to Ziggy about it, as (see above) he should have done before. 

Ryder has been exceedingly annoying last week. I again do sympathise with him feeling alone, but it doesn't at all excuse him for treating Maggie appallingly at the Astoni house and disrupting the study course where Coco and Raffy were actually trying to study, though to be fair, Leah and Alf just dropping him at their house wasn't the best idea they could have thought of. He wasn't much better on Friday, just assuming Alf told Coco and Raffy to hang out with him and him just blocking them out, though he was quick to realise he was wrong and apologise for it. Really terrible news about Caroline, ?, though, as Red says, I'm glad that the show is actually following along with it, though with Alf saying he wasn't going anywhere and then getting the phone call was really bad timing. Coco is again coming around to being tolerable again, thinking about what they could do to help Ryder. I'm actually surprised Ryder brought up that old house Dean told him about, though I did expect it to come up again, I just didn't think it would involve the two girls as well. Being Summer Bay though, it probably won't go well. 

I couldn't imagine being in Robbo's shoes, I feel so bad for him, it must have been terrible being forced to remember his dead family, it's no surprise he walked out, but he could have done much better than blocking out any attempt by the counsellor (who, as H&Alover said, was really pushy and made it sound like a interrogation rather than a talk) and Tori. Then again, both him and Tori really should have thought it true more and how the past might make Robbo feel than just running into it. And Tori could have been a bit more sympapethic to his his point of view, so I'm glad Leah did, and personally I think that thinking about dropping Robbo as a donor and going back to step one isn't the best idea. Still, I feel very sorry for Tori, because she doesn't want to rush Robbo, because that wouldn't be right, but she can't wait either, because time might be running out to find another donor. It's good that Robbo gave the counselling another chance. 

Not got round to Monday yet, and multiples of five are easier to deal with. So my thoughts on the last fortnight prior to today's episode....

I'm quite liking the 'rebellious Ryder' storyline, I must say, largely because most of the parties involved seem to deserve being rebelled against. Okay, so Ryder is being a bit of a brat, but I think Coco, Raffy, Leah and Alf can at least share the blame here. Of course he's not going to feel inclined to hang around Coco straight after they've broken up (and likewise vice versa), and it would have been nice to see Raffy realise that and set aside some time to spend just with him - but there seems to be an assumption with this lot that they're either a trio or nothing. Then Leah didn't help matters with her very unsubtle suggestion to the effect that he needed to find some male friends - it's clearly a sensitive issue for him, and she should have handled it better. (Although I will say that it's nice the show is addressing it post-Ty, who he's obviously missing.) Then when he actually finds a friend, Alf and Leah can't ruin it for him fast enough, despite there being no hint that Dean has got him involved in anything dodgy. Since then, everyone's basically been taking turns to babysit him just because he's been seen talking to Dean twice - well, why shouldn't he? Why shouldn't they play pool together? Not for the first time, I'm left wondering why Alf and Leah can't just leave him alone rather than treating him like a 12-year-old. They can't have it both ways, and I'm not surprised he acted up at Maggie's house. If they're going to insist he's minded every second of the day, they can't then start outsourcing that duty to random friends, especially his ex's family. It was clearly just humiliating for him. Obviously Alf has to go to the states with the (genuinely sad) news that Caroline had died (I really came to like her in her stint with Duncan not so long ago) - but it's definitely going to be counterproductive for Ryder, as now Leah's going to have carte blanche to baby him like she does every kid she randomly ends up living with, until he inevitably snaps. Next prediction: something bad's going to happen in the 'haunted house' and Dean will get the blame for it, of course.

Mason, meanwhile, is being far more of a douche than Ryder, and should be old enough to know better. Presumably Dempsey has had the termination by now, although the fact we haven't had confirmation of that meanss I won't be at all surprised if she returns still pregnant down the line - or with a child even further down the line. In the meantime, being generally mean and spiteful to everyone isn't helping to engender sympathy - and what he said to Brody was particularly unnecessary. Still, I enjoyed the Brody storyline more generally and particularly the opportunity for him and Maggie to bond. Obviously she'll never replace his mum and that's nobody's intention; but it doesn't mean they can't have an unconventionally close mother/son-in-law relationship.

I'm pretty much down with Tori and Robbo having a baby; I think it's a nice development, although clearly there are some issues that Robbo needs to work through to help him prepare for it. Meanwhile Jasmine continues her incessant bleating about Robbo having feelings for her, and her having feelings for Robbo - and to compound matters, Irene won't shut up about them each having feelings for the other either, apparently construing Jasmine's confidence in her as permission to spread it around town like wildfire. By the time Leah and Marilyn started getting in on the act, I was more than ready to hurl something at the set.

Glad that Willow and Dean managed to avoid prison sentences (incredible as that seemed in Dean's case), mainly because I've come to quite like them - although seems Dean's woes aren't over as the stuff with his mum kicks off. I was a little curious that Dean's dad not being around and Ryder's not being either were mentioned in quick succession; hopefully that's just a sign that it's something for them to bond over, and not a sign that their dad is one and the same person. :lol: Not so interested in this Chelsea character and her attempts to woo Colby; it just feels like Jasmine all over again. Chelsea feels like one of these black-and-white morality cops (in fact I think Colby even said it in dialogue) - which is incidentally what I quite like about Colby so far, that he isn't one of those. But at least Chelsea's doing it with a sense of humour, which is more than can be said for predecessors like Kat and Charlie.

8 hours ago, H&Alover said:

You tend to forget Duncan is Ryder's half-brother. 

Actually, he's his (half-)uncle!

So, today. And Leah picking up the baton from Alf in the "Keep Ryder away from Dean at all costs" stakes, not that she wasn't quick to join in before, is pretty annoying.At least Ben put her straight, while Dean and Ryder are at opposite ends of the spectrum with Dean unable to get his mother to acknowledge him while Ryder's surrounded with people smothering him with concern.Again, I do and don't get it.Dean has done enough stuff for them to mistrust him (including leaving Alf lying injured), but I hardly think he's going to drag Ryder along breaking and entering.In fact, there seems to be more danger of Ryder being a bad influence on him, with his rather childish attempt to get Dean to ditch community service.

And we get Robbo's extremely long counselling session (I'm guessing the counsellor had the afternoon free!).The details of his last conversation with Lauren are another reason to feel guilty, although when you think about it, him feeling he should have been there to save his family was pretty much a given.And...Mason.I continue to feel sorry for him, and I think Tori was being pretty insensitive (Had she even spoken to him about what happened with Dempsey?).There also didn't really seem to be any reason for her to send him home, unless he was actually being rude to other staff and patients, which there was no real evidence of.It was a private conversation between them, and it was her choice to have it in public, so it just felt like her trying to teach him a lesson.I get his viewpoint that trying to do the right thing has led to him being repeatedly kicked in the teeth, which is why I'm not willing to be too hard on him for a few nasty comments, but I do miss Nice Mason and want him back.

Oops so he is Red.:blush: 

Glad TPTB followed the story on from Friday and didn't leave us dangling. Does counsellor have a name - no matter - this time she was a lot better, let Robbo do the talking with just a little prompting. It all makes a lot more sense now  why Robbo has been so reluctant to talk about his family before, he not only felt guilty because it was his job that lead to their death, he'd argued with Lauren that day(?) so never got the chance to make it up with her. I'd like to think now he has started to properly open up, any further discussions will be easier.  Counsellor was right though he does need to tell Tori, if all still goes ahead she'll be the other half of his new family.  The counsellor did suggest he maybe be trying to replace Lucas & Sofia but I don't reckon so, you could never replace a dead child, he's wise enough to know that, I think it's more of him having a second chance to be a dad plus this time round he won't have the under cover job to worry about. Then of course Tori told Robbo she has changed her mind, but from what we saw in the trailer it's Jasmine of all people who asks her to give Robbo another chance. 

I do feel rather that Mason has been sidelined by the rest of the family with all the other Morgan dramas going on, is it because Dempsey is no longer around so a touch of out of sight out of mind to the families way of  thinking.  It may have been insensitive for Tori to bang on about her IVF troubles, Mason did ask after all, but he said it right she is obsessing about an as yet  non-existent baby, he had a real one on the way, it shouldn't have been in public with staff and patients about and I think she was right to send him home, he wasn't in the right state of mind to treat patients.  I did like there was a follow up conversation back home and he told her how he was really feeling. He has been hitting out at his family but that is what they are there for after all. I kind of get he's fed up with doing double shifts at the gym leaving him short of time and having to rush from the gym to the hospital. Robbo's tied up with other things at the moment so not there to help out though Willow to give her her due did dash off straight after her CS duties to be at the gym.

I said Brody's reaction to Justin's rebuking wasn't a sulk too D.B. .

Leah has been kind of dumped on with looking after Ryder, but on the other hand she does like having someone to cluck over so is in a way in her element.  But Ryder is 17 and they've only known each other a few months and isn't related to him so although she feels responsible for him while Alf & Roo are away needs to be careful and treat him as the near adult he is. I had to smile when he asked her rather pointedly if that was the reason VJ left to get away from her (s)mothering him. If only you knew how close you were to the truth, it took her years to accept he was no longer her 'little' boy.  I also liked the way Ben took the wind out of her sails when he told her Dean had just as much to do with Ryder going home as he did. Little do any of them know there is a cunning plan behind Ryder being so compliant. :wink:  I'm guessing Dean gave Ryder a vague location  of 'the house' in Mangrove River.  It was my thinking exactly atrus if something bad happens , what am I saying, when something bad happens there Dean is bound to get the blame  for it, just for telling Ryder about it and therefore putting ideas in his head because he doesn't have his own mind and is  incapable of thinking for himself.

I thought Dean, Willow and the others had already started Community Service but anyhoo (I listen to Graham Norton too CaptainHulk:wink:) it's begun now.  I did tend to agree with Willow, although very worthwhile them clearing the beach of litter and making it look pleasant for everyone not exactly inspiring the offenders to get motivated in turning their lives around, no sooner they would have done all that picking  up more will be back, says more about the locals and tourists if anything. Why aren't any skills they have being put to use, she could teach keep fit to older people be good for both parties, even Dean offered his services to John, he may not be a trained mechanic, but he does know his way round an engine and with supervision could be put to much better use or anything else he is good at.  Dare say the same could be said of others in the group.  Did like John's no nonsense attitude, the complete opposite of Maz's!:lol:  I'd like to think they appreciate the fact he's not all gushy but tells it like it is.

After a lot of soul searching Dean decides not to contact or go and see his mum but let her come to/contact  him if she wants to. He did seem more at ease, especially after Willow confirmed she and Colby were his family, decent/brave of her to offer to go with him to see her when you remember what happened last time. 

So, "a version of" the old Mason is back...which means he has neurotic women shouting at him and has to support everyone without getting much in return.I notice Jasmine didn't volunteer that she blabbed to Irene (whose business it really is none of) and get yelled at, but she again shows that she's a good person at heart by doing what's right by Robbo even though it doesn't exactly benefit her.Irene continues to be very over-involved in their non-relationship.Oh, and the counsellor's called Meredith, according to the credits.

Ryder's little adventure seemed to fall a bit flat, which was a shame.It was interesting that Coco was engrossed in his ghost story while Raffy was heckling him.And Coco did indeed do a very bad job of lying to Ben, even if he didn't pick up on it! I'd forgotten that Dean gave Ryder the road that the hideout was on.

Archived