2018 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Are we forgetting it was the Morgan's who initially asked Marilyn & John to look after Raffy way back when the syndicate was after them, then just as she settled back home, she had to move out again because of Brody's ex druggie gang being after him, then Robbo was being hunted by the River Boys. It was agreed all round it was more settled at Marilyn & John's the better for her to concentrate on her school work.  I don't remember there having been that many times them asking her over for lunch/tea with them, stay over night.  Of course I'm forgetting evil Marilyn & John are keeping her prisoner and apart from being allowed out to go to school she's not allowed any contact with her family - has there been any formal agreement between J&M and the Morgan's?  Are they paying John & Marilyn to look after Raffy? Raffy herself referred to John & Marilyn as her 'family' it was Marilyn she turned to and asked advice from when she first had feelings for Ty, not Tori, her half sister, and Marilyn she turned  to for comfort when Ty came out again not Tori. 

Yes, I pretty much am forgetting all that, because Raffy stayed with the Morgans pretty much the whole time the syndicate were after them, it was Marilyn who took it upon herself to invite Raffy to move in with them during Brody's recovery when it was originally Kat looking after her, and although Justin asked John and Marilyn to look after Raffy while Robbo was causing trouble, it was only meant to be temporary and it was them that took it upon themselves to talk Raffy into making the move permanent, without any consultation with the Morgans who were just supposed to accept it.There's no formal agreement, it's just John and Marilyn thinking they can do whatever they like.Raffy didn't turn to Marilyn about her feelings with Ty, mainly because John and Marilyn (with Justin's agreement) were too busy slapping a chastity belt on her to pay attention to what she wanted: It was Brody that she had the first real in depth family chat with.Similarly, her first response when Ty came out was to blame John and Marilyn for keeping it from her and go back to the Morgans' for support, only for them to bully and guilt-trip her into coming back to them.

Jasmine really is too nice for her own good.I'm glad Irene had a go at Robbo for letting her down because she obviously wasn't going to, even though leaving her waiting for hours without so much as a phone call is pretty bad boyfriend behaviour.Again, credit to Tori for doing her best not to interfere with their plans.A part of me wishes Jasmine hadn't been a martyr and sent Robbo to her, but I guess if she hadn't it would have been on her mind all through their date.I guess she got her reward in the end, although if we're meant to see them as some sort of power couple...sorry, I'm not really feeling it.

I can't really decide how I feel about Chelsea.Colby's comments about her wanting an idealised version of him a few weeks back may have more than a little truth in them, and given that he constantly lets her down, she does kind of either need to lower her expectations or cut her losses (as Willow indicated in the promo).What she should do of course is report Colby, but if she did, then no doubt he'd deny it, Dean would back him up and he'd carry on getting away with it, probably with more self-righteous "I did it for my sister", when for all the use he's been, he could have stayed behind to help his friends and shared that cell with Dean without Bella being any worse off.Instead, it feels like we're meant to think that because it was years ago it's somehow okay.It's like if Hunter came in "good" and then announced after a few weeks that he burned someone's house down once, I suspect even more people would have been fine with him getting let off, in the same way that people see Colby as "good" so think what he did isn't so bad.I'd say Colby is more corrupt now than Kat was for at least her first year on the show: Obviously, she was worse than this by the end, but given how far down the slippery slope he is already, I dread to think how he'll end up.

Anyway, we get a few insights into what Dean's life was like growing up, and a follow-up on his comment a few weeks back about not knowing who his father is.And from the comments here, we can deduce that he's 25, which gives us some idea of how old Colby and Willow are.

Nice use of the Summer Bay House set today, not only seeing upstairs but a scene shot from inside the pantry, I can’t remember the last time we had that.

They also seemed to confirm that Alf has the attic room as there was a sound of him coming down some stairs to Roo on the first floor landing.

At the risk of turning this into a character discussion...It feels like they're inverting the usual regular police officer path of having them come in by-the-book and becoming increasingly compromised by making Colby someone who's broken the law in the past but is trying to be more responsible.So at least he's heading in the right direction, but the fact he's never served his time means it's hard for me to view him as having earned the right to move on, especially when they keep bringing up what he did.Bringing in Chelsea has made it worse, since she seems to be having the normal arc of being led off the straight and narrow by a dodgy if likable boyfriend, and that's him! I think they should have made Colby's dismissal from the police stick, because it's hard to accept him as a force of law and order.It also doesn't help that we get Willow incredulously asking "You're not planning to turn him in?", as if no-one could ever do such a horrible thing to good old Colby, and idealising the River Boys while glossing over the fact that the "direction" they gave boys from poor homes probably involved picking fights and dealing drugs.I want to like Colby and Chelsea together, but I'm not convinced that he'll be good for her.Anyway, hopefully Colby and Dean drawing a line under their time in Mangrove River will stick.I'm assuming the letter confirmed the AFL star is Dean's dad, even though no-one actually said so.I can understand Dean feeling he's managed without a father up until now and the decision should be his: The guy does, after all, know about him yet made no effort to have anything to do with him.

Roo again turns out to be a bit rubbish at the parenting thing when it requires her to do more than be a cool aunt who gives lots of hugs.She was too busy patting herself on the back over sorting Ryder out to notice that he was writing himself off and chucking his exams away, although she's right that he needs to stop using Raffy as an excuse.I can understand the Morgans limiting Raffy's visitors, since when everyone did pile into her room it provoked a seizure, but setting some time aside for her friends to visit would be good for all of them.At least we've now got Alf back and he's very quickly got Ryder sussed out.

I'm actually glad Justin and Tori took a hardline stance with John and Marilyn especially when they were being so pushy wanting to see Raffy.  I do think that Tori was harsh but I don't have any sympathy for Marilyn.  It was probably the only way she could get through to her anyway.  Even later on after that - "I can't wait to take her home so we can look after her properly".  Acting like Raffy's a baby and she can have Raffy all to herself again.  I was glad when Tori told them it was best for Raffy to come home (Did you see the look on Marilyn's face??).  Do John and Marilyn seriously think the Morgan's are going to let Raffy stay with them after what's happened to her?

One of the best things about Jasmine's disappointment at her postponed date with Robbo was her excitement and happiness beforehand.  I didn't like Irene having a go at Robbo as he's pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place and even if he wasn't it's really none of her business.  Jasmine did seem to be supportive towards Tori but we'll see how long she can keep it up for before she gets fed up.  The whole arrangement is pretty ridiculous anyway.

20 hours ago, c120701 said:

Nice use of the Summer Bay House set today, not only seeing upstairs but a scene shot from inside the pantry, I can’t remember the last time we had that.

They also seemed to confirm that Alf has the attic room as there was a sound of him coming down some stairs to Roo on the first floor landing.

I was wondering about the larder/pantry the other day and the fact we hadn't seen it for ages made me think they'd got rid of it.

Bit of a slog for an bloke like Alf to be stuck in the attic.

I was sure the Morgan's farmed  Raffy out to John & Marilyn to keep her safe from the Syndicate as I think the Syndicate didn't know who she was, but obviously misremembering that and other things.  One thing I do remember is Raffy asking Justin  she could come home after the Ty revelation but he told her she couldn't.  John & Marilyn had only just found out Ty was gay the day before and besides it wasn't really their secret to tell.  The Morgan's have still very remiss with Raffy, took them ages to tell her about Tori's IVF treatment, they weren't told about her grades slipping  And Raffy herself was calling John and Marilyn her family and reading her bio it seems she has been backwards and forwards between both houses for ages,   One of the times Raffy moved out was so she could study in peace as it can get pretty chaotic at the Morgan's.

Btw I noticed Justin said when we tell Raffy she's coming back home, don't you mean, you'll ask her if she's coming home?

Are you suggesting Slade that  Raffy's accident is now John  & Marilyn's fault and it wouldn't have happened if she'd been at the Morgan's?  It was no-one's fault it could have been Coco or Ryder that had got hurt.  It's like saying Ryder wouldn't have managed to slip out to the house if Roo & Alf had been at home.

Dictionary definition of corrupt is 'having or showing a willingness to act dishonestly in return for money or personal gain' which, unless I'm mistaken, Colby hasn't done. Made bad decisions yes, but so did Kat and Charlie, but neither of them or Colby has gained anything from them. A proper corrupt cop was Dylan Carter and the other cops involved in trying to kill the ones who had turned them in, not to mention Ranae Turner all of whom were ready to sacrifice and kill people to keep their status and power.  It wouldn't serve anyone well for shiny girl to turn Colby in and he has turned his life around and while making some dodgy decisions since he's been in the bay, must have done a good job in his previous stations to be a senior constable in his mid 20's. Willow after giving her the lowdown  what being a River Boy meant, although, yes, it was softened somewhat.  Maybe that is how it started off, like minded lads from broken or damaged homes finding a 'new' home and a family better than the one they already had, certainly in Dean's case.  The two suggestions Willow made to shiny girl would have been the ones I would have made, either SG accepts what happened in Colby's past is the past and lets it go, it has made him what he is now a good cop who tries to do his best or she realises she can't and walks away which will be less hurtful for both of them.  Oh and Colby did tell her that other guy (can't remember his name) died.  I still can't take to her though. Wonder how long the engagement will last this time?

Dean really did have a rough childhood, being back home bought back some pretty bad memories, wonder he isn't totally bad without any sort of conscience or feelings.  I worked out the age thing, date on the paper 1992 ,making him 25/26 so I guess Willow and Colby are more or less the same age. Rather sad, in a way, him finding Karen did keep things of his safely put away meaning she did care for him and I do feel bad saying this, assuming  that as she had such a chaotic lifestyle,  the house would be a mess but it  was quite tidy and not too shabby.  It was a jump from reading the date on the newspaper being about a year before Dean was born that Rick Booth AFL star had to be his dad.  But then Dean opened 'the' letter and it was confirmed he was.  Same old story, he was married he & Karen were just a fling, only she got pregnant and he didn't want to know rather like Hunter and his dad at first. Colby was right he was/is a rat bag. Wouldn't defacing the town sign be classed as vandalism?:D  Brief news that Karen is in lock down for now so Dean can't visit her yet and hasn't been assesses.

Irene seemed more upset at Robbo cancelling his date then Jasmine was, she did give him the OK after all, but yes a phone call wouldn't have hurt.  It wasn't any business of Irene's Jasmine is perfectly capable of standing up for herself. She understood these things take longer then they ought and just because an appointment is made for a certain time doesn't mean you will be seen then. She didn't have to rush after Tori and have that talk with her, she could have just let her walk off and kept her date with Robbo, though, Jasmine being Jasmine, it would have played on her mind.  Their date, although not what was originally planned was rather sweet, simple just right for them. 

Welcome home Alf, you've walked back in to a right mess haven't you?  Ryder has done a very good job of covering up his drinking and pulling the wool over Roo's eyes, though of course the fact he lied about taking his exam was bound to come out. Raffy is going to be furious with him for doing that.  He had to be told she has epilepsy but that is just going to make him even more guilty. Wonder how Roo & Alf would have handled the situation if they had been there?  Now Alf has found him drunk and hiding grog how will he and Roo deal with it.  May seem out there but I think if Ryder spoke to Dean, he'd put him straight and tell him not to waste his life as he has a good brain and he should use it to get on with his life and not be a drifter like him.

Nice little mention of Duncan and Bryce and how they are trying to readjust after Caroline's death.

Well, it appears that the difficulties of being in a relationship with someone and having a baby with someone else has finally caught with Robbo (I love when I get to say sentences like that ?). While I get that Tori would be nervous about the first ultra-scan, I can't really see why Brody or Justin or Mason could have gone with her,  and Robbo would have stilled stayed on his date with Jasmine. I still enjoy Tori and Jasmine's friendship in all this, and how both of them were trying to send Robbo to the other. I was afraid that their friendship would have broken down as a result of all this drama, but I'm happy to see that's not the case. Jasmine continues to show the decent person she is by preparing to sacrifice her first date, but happily both she and Robbo got to have it. While I'm certain there'll be more bumps on the road, I'm hopeful they'll get through since I really like them both. 

I am thrilled that Raffy will actually be going back to her real home. John and Marilyn continued to be annoying acting like no-one can touch Raffy other than themselves, so I'm glad that Justin and Tori took a polite but firm stance with them.

I'm conflicted with Chelsea also, while I still like her, I think she kept Colby hanging longer than needed. Just accept him or go home. I did enjoy her conversation with Willow, who gave a really good description about the River Boys' past:  while I do believe that it doesn't in anyway excuse their crimes, it does give us a better understanding to their background and to why they don't really have other options except the gang. So while I don't think bringing back the engagement is really a good idea to do so quickly, but...meh, it was sweet. 

Dean has really transformed for me, from someone I really didn't like, to, after seeing his memories in his old home, someone who I really want to hug. I find it amazing that after all that, he still finds it in himself to care deeply for Karen, as seen when he almost beats up the old boyfriend who insulted her. The stuff with the father came unexpected, but ultimately, I think Dean said it right: he managed without his father so far, and the father made no effort to get to know him, so he might be better off just leaving it. Though I'll expect the curiosity to eat him up from the inside later on. 

Ryder continues to throw his life down the drain, and while Roo did try hard to get to him after hearing the results, I feel like she was too convinced afterwards that he was alright. Alf really came back at the wrong time, and now Ryder's really going to start answering. 

3 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Dictionary definition of corrupt is 'having or showing a willingness to act dishonestly in return for money or personal gain' which, unless I'm mistaken, Colby hasn't done. Made bad decisions yes, but so did Kat and Charlie, but neither of them or Colby has gained anything from them. A proper corrupt cop was Dylan Carter and the other cops involved in trying to kill the ones who had turned them in, not to mention Ranae Turner all of whom were ready to sacrifice and kill people to keep their status and power. 

I agree with you here, while I think Colby has made some pretty enormous mistakes, I wouldn't call him a corrupt cop. He actually wants to help people and do his job, and that makes him, I think we can all agree, a far cry from Carter or Turner. And, to be fair, the things he's done are pretty minored compared to others who have done worse and gotten off scot-free, such as Ash, Hunter, Andy etc. I think you're right in calling him and Charlie corrupt is a but much and both of them did/do want to do what they thought was the right thing, even if it went against the Job, so I think they're still good cops. Kat, though, to me, can't really fall into that same category. 

9 hours ago, H&Alover said:

One thing I do remember is Raffy asking Justin  she could come home after the Ty revelation but he told her she couldn't.

That's...not an entirely inaccurate description, but it wasn't because Justin didn't want her home or because they couldn't cope with her, it was because he didn't want her to move back in with them just because she was angry with John and Marilyn.

I worked out the age thing, date on the paper 1992 ,making him 25/26

If it was the year before he was born (and the date was June), that would make him 25.I'd guess that Willow's the same and Colby's about 27.(I think it's been mentioned he's a bit older than Dean.)

Dictionary definition of corrupt is 'having or showing a willingness to act dishonestly in return for money or personal gain' which, unless I'm mistaken, Colby hasn't done. Made bad decisions yes, but so did Kat and Charlie, but neither of them or Colby has gained anything from them.

4 hours ago, D.B said:

I think you're right in calling him and Charlie corrupt is a but much and both of them did/do want to do what they thought was the right thing, even if it went against the Job, so I think they're still good cops. Kat, though, to me, can't really fall into that same category. 

Well, I definitely think Colby fits the "personal gain" category.His dishonesty has kept him out of prison and kept him in a decent job where he can use the police resources for personal reasons.I agree he does what he thinks is the right thing (as did Charlie and indeed Kat) but I also think all of them often got "the right thing" wrong, behaving in a biased and self-righteous manner and showing poor judgement.Colby hasn't quite got to the point of doing more harm than good, in the way Charlie and Kat and others often did, but he's sailing very close to the wind.Certainly, his past crimes are on a par with at least some characters in the recent past: I'm struggling to think of anything Ash did that was worse than leaving a friend to die.

Anyway, today! And gosh, John and Marilyn are selfish and annoying and yet I can't shake the feeling that the show expects us to sympathise with them.Again, they treat Raffy like a possession, and seem to view the point of fostering as owning children who already have a loving family.Because, really, why should they have a continued role in Raffy's life, as they seem to think they're entitled to?They're being so possessive I'm surprised they're not camped on Ty's doorstep asking his mother when they can have a go, but I guess Raffy being in the same town as them makes her an easier target.No-one's saying they should never see Raffy again, but they need to back off and accept she's back with her family, not keep trying to force their way back in to make it seem like they're still relevant.

Whilst Ryder often annoys me, I did find myself on his side a bit here with Alf and Roo's utterly myopic "Why didn't you talk to us?" view.Roo continues to be failing badly at proving Ryder's better off with her than he was with Quinn.Any points she gained by managing to sit him down and have a proper chat with him were lost by the reveal that she's forgot his birthday, which is pretty basic parenting.(So, does this mean he had a birthday right before he turned up?)

Maggie was overly snappy in her first scene but I was firmly on her side with the "champagne o'clock" stuff: What were they all thinking? Given how stressed she was about getting all the marking done on time, not to mention how little help Ben's hovering was, the last thing she needed was them whining that she needed to stop working and play with them.Ziggy misread the situation, not surprising when she'd not seen what Maggie was like, but Ben really should have put her straight instead of going along with it.

I guess Red, we are not going agree on whether  Colby is 'corrupt' or not.  He hasn't  been the first cop to have used police resources for personal reasons and he is trying to be firmer when Dean and Willow ask him to turn a blind eye/ear or do a favour, he knows he is on shakier ground now as McCarthy is well aware of his past so keeping a better eye on him, not forgetting SG breathing down his neck.

It still seems no-one has asked Raffy how she feels about going home home and that for now Marilyn & John are out of the picture as far as her welfare is concerned.  OK Marilyn & John - well Marilyn mainly - have got possessive but in their favour they can hardly be accused of neglecting her since she's been in their care, in fact she's been well looked after. From the trailer Marilyn & John are at the Morgan's to celebrate her homecoming, so was that Raffy's idea?

Quite agree Red, how naïve were Alf & Roo making that "Why didn't you talk to us" remark to Ryder, so loved his come back "Because you weren't here"!  It did leave them suitably shamed faced. Leah had to be both Roo and Alf instead and although caring and supportive she isn't family.  I hinted before there was nothing wrong with Raffy's memory as she has remembered it's Ryder's birthday and not just any birthday but his 18th! It's everyone else - even his mum and  Coco who was, briefly, his girlfriend - who has developed amnesia. Wonder if he blurts that out when he turns up drunk at the Morgan's after being told she still needs time alone with her family and he finds Marilyn & John there? Something I hope along the lines of "Of course I'm drunk, I'm celebrating my birthday". Raffy seemed pleased to see him.

Although I've ever been in Maggie's position it must be a confusing time for her now, over the moon that she is clear, but I suppose there must be a down side to it as for the past how many months she's had her days filled with treatments, waiting for results, so had a kind of routine, now that's gone so she feels a bit flat and lost.  I'm glad Ben didn't make it just about him being left out but included Coco and Ziggy.  I don't think Maggie knows herself yet how to express her thoughts.

Returning to Leah, I get she was excited about how successful Brody's video was on her vlog but she was being totally pushy about him not just doing another one, but a whole string of them, so well done Ziggy for persuading Brody to say no, and very tactful he was when he told her thanks but no thanks.  He does have a business to run which she seems to have forgotten.  I like how Ziggy is keeping Brody grounded and ensuring he takes time out for himself.

There won't be just bumps in the road for Tori, Jasmine and Robbo if all goes to plan - I am so sorry - I couldn't resist that.

Make the most of next weeks episodes as after next Friday H&A is taking it's UK break until January.

Alf's episode count this week:Three.

Well, we didn't really get to see Raffy being informed of her new living arrangements but she didn't seem to object: She had a bit of a blow-out later on but that seemed to be more about the lack of consultation than where she ended up living.I am reserving judgement so far on John and Marilyn still being involved.I didn't mind them being close to Raffy before they started stopping her going home, so I'm not completely against her continuing to have scenes with them, but now that she's finally home we need to see her having proper scenes with her family again, not scenes where everyone else is there and she's "with John and Marilyn", like when she skipped Tori's IVF announcement.Certainly, John and Marilyn acting like they've got special privileges didn't help with Ryder.I guess I should acknowledge that Quinn doesn't seem to have remembered Ryder's birthday either, but this is increasingly starting to feel like another case of someone taking a child off their family with promises of stability and then not keeping the promises: A year with Roo and Alf, and Ryder's right back where he was with Quinn.For a show that started off being about fostering, they don't half give foster parents a bad name sometimes.That said, my sympathy is limited and, while Ryder's been bottom of everyone's priorities for a while, he does need to grow up and stop hitting the self-destruct and running off every time he isn't happy.I do though think Justin and the others were wrong to keep Raffy's friends away from her: It didn't help any of them, and scheduling visits when they weren't there could have been a good thing.(I'm going to assume the best of Mason and think he turned Raffy's phone off so she could sleep rather than to hide the text.)Mind you, as soon as he has the chance to spend time with her, Ryder stomps off in a sulk.Twice.

It felt like a rather abrupt shift from Ben apparently walking out on Maggie at the end of last episode to "We're going for a walk and everything's fine" at the beginning of this one.It feels a bit like we're meant to forget that last year Ziggy and Coco weren't really close at all, but I do enjoy their alliances.And Ben and Maggie's hyperactive plans were great.Curing cancer?Well, like she says, think big, but good luck with that...

Archived