2018 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Leah said exactly what we did Red about Robbo wanting to be involved in his son/daughter's life that it was of the  reasons she chose him.  Tori and Robbo had some deep talks about it all, he came across as very understanding if Tori chose not go any further with it. She has to be sure she is comfortable with him being part of the babies life though they were getting way ahead of themselves about how they explain it all to him/her, she's not even conceived yet!  That hug that Jasmine saw was a genuine 'it's not what it looks like' moment, though of course she doesn't know the real reason for it. Be interesting to see how it goes down when she does find out. Oh yes Leah's face when Irene told her Jasmine has seriously got the hots for Robbo! 

Must have been frustrating for Jasmine, loved her dress btw, trying to pluck up the courage to admit to Robbo that she did have feelings for him, must have hurt when he called her his friend and wanting to discuss her suggestion about self defence classes. Then once again he dashes off to talk to Tori. 

Willow obviously knows Dean's mum and what damage she caused him in his youth by her reaction when she found out he'd called her.  Either those few hours they kept referring to before they were due in court were stretched out or everything got sorted out quicker than it appeared on screen.  If Dean didn't need to have a shower before Willow shoved him into the bay he did after.  Had to smile at Robbo's bemused expression watching them.  Justin's straight talking did do the trick in the end, suggesting Willow's sacrifice would have been in vain if neither of them showed.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Home and Away does love to tease actions having consequences and then not deliver.We get weeks of build-up about how characters might go to jail and then they get let off with community service and/or a good behaviour bond.For extra anti-climax, have the court stuff happen off screen and have the characters just come back and shrug their shoulders.Dean and Willow aren't the worst example of this by any means but...meh. I am however liking the dynamics at the beach house.At the risk of being a broken record, it's good that the show seems to be accepting that time's moved on and letting Irene act maternal towards young adults instead of being a mother figure to people younger than her grandchildren.It's created an almost sisterly relationship between Jasmine and Willow, as seen here with their night time conversation.I'm not as keen on Irene looking daggers at Leah and trying to pressure her into betraying confidences.It is possible to be too involved.

Given that Tori and Robbo want to keep their arrangement on the downlow, them very openly going away together seemed a rather odd choice.And given the number of people that know about Tori's request, there was no way they weren't going to guess what the answer was.Justin seemed a bit less callous here, shifting from "I'll help Dean because it'll help Willow" to "I'll help Dean because it's what Willow would want".

Oh boy, do I have a lot to catch up on! 

Well, to start off, Brody playing the guitar for Maggie was sweet, but I'll admit it came very unexpected, though his anxiousness about it did make sense later when it became clear about the memories of his mom. I'm glad he opened up to Ziggy about it and I really liked the scene with him and Maggie, I don't  think we had any scenes with just the two of them since Maggie had cancer. I'm also thrilled that someone remembered that Raffy is part of Brody's family, though I would prefer if she was there with Mason and Dempsey and Tori having a baby, but...meh, I'll take with what I get. 

I know I probably shouldn't be jumping the gun since she's new, but I really like Chelsea a lot. I do, like Red, sympathise with her more than Colby, despite her seeming a bit pushy, because I have always sympathise with Colby and the search for his sister, it sounds like she was conflicted into covering for him or sticking to her job, no-one could really blame her for doing the latter. I'm not entirely liking Colby pushing her into leaving, though I'll admit I am very surprised that they were engaged. I look forward to see what the two will decide next.

I'll be honest, I have been disliking Ryder a lot since Ty left, and last week hasn't really been helping with him acting like a jerk towards people and possibly getting some poor employee fired because Ryder decided to mess with gym equipment when he was told not to. I'll admit I did feel a bit sorry for him with him feeling alone. And while I get why Alf would think, with a lot of justification, that Dean isn't the right role model, he did give some solid advice. But what I really rolled my eyes at was Leah being so anti-River boy all of a sudden, considering how much she fawned over Brax. Some very disturbing news from Hawaii, though I actually forgot all about Caroline's disease, even though it was quite a major storyline back in 2016, with her trying to keep it from Duncan and Ash trying to get her drugs. I feel really bad for her, and Duncan and Byrce too. ?

What exactly was Tori expecting, that Robbo would have nothing to do with the kid? She really should have thought about it a bit more, but I'm glad they sorted it. Their story has me conflicted, on one hand, their scenes are very nice and it would make a lot of sense that she choose him as her donor. On the other hand, I think I would have liked one storyline with Tori without Robbo getting involved, I really like their friendship, but the two of them have been involved with each other's lives  since the start of the year. I also would have perferred Justin not to be breathing down Robbo's neck every second about how stressful this is for his sister without remembering how difficult it must be for Robbo, considering his kids. I also call this storyline, "the Story of Bad Timing", with Jasmine realising she has feelings for Robbo just when this whole baby thing came up, then Tori interrupted their meeting at the gym before she could reveal her feelings, and then she sees the two hugging on the beach and comes to the wrong conclusion. I still do like Jasmine, I want her and Robbo to try a relationship, and I do feel sorry for her because it must be very frustrating , but, in all fairness, there's little point in her being jealous when she's the one who's been hiding her feelings for so long. 

And now we come to more people who have done wrong but get off lightly, or all together. To be fair, what Dean and Willow did were minor compared to others who were treated like saints when having done despicable acts (*cough Hunter cough*), but still, after all that build up about them doing time, they got community service. I guess I'll just have to accept it, because in all fairness they do actually felt remorse for it, well Willow anyway, who gets some points for actually turning herself in to give Dean a chance, despite Colby's rather unprofessional conduct (after all his talk with Robbo not a while back about not letting personal matters deal with professional). It must be frustrating for Justin to keep bailing out Dean for Willow, though I appreciate his patience. The stuff with Dean's mum sounds interesting enough, with Dean not going away, I wonder if we'll learn more about it. 

This is absolutely wonderful!  Jasmine being completely out of shape because she believes Robbo and Tori are together is a delight.  I loved the way she was throughout that episode, especially when Willow told her Tori and Robbo were going away for a couple of days and Jasmine thought they were going away as a couple.

In one hand Justin made me laugh at his reaction to Tori announcing she was going to have the baby with Robbo but on the other hand I didn't like that he objected given how he pressurised Robbo last week to make a decision.

Didn't particularly like Tori suggestion getting a legal contract regarding the baby but probably the sensible thing to do (as per the advice of Justin).  It would be ideal if she and Robbo would conceive the natural way but I'm sort of expecting her to get up the duff, Jasmine and Robbo to engage in a relationship anyway, Robbo and Tori to bond over the baby and they end up together.

You would have thought Dean was sentenced for 20 years the way he's been acting.  He should count his blessings.  He's been extremely fortunate.

Both Willow and Dean were both lucky to get community service - six months is a long term though, usually a couple of months - and Dean has a good behaviour bond.  It was mentioned the fact Dean helped set up the raid for the police at SALT went in his favour plus he's got a job and home. He did scrub up well though.:wink: Does Brody know he'd 'lent' his suit and shirt to Dean? The locals did appear to take the news pretty well, even Alf who got bashed just muttered 'strewth'.  Willow it seems from what I could gather with her row with Dean had something to do with his mum being estranged from Dean.   The news soon spread via bush telegraph as Irene welcomed Willow home and as far I could see wasn't told on screen. Willow is going to have to fit her first few hours of community service round her doing double shifts at the gym while Robbo is in the city for a couple of days.  Whose going to talk sense into Dean now seeing as he has disappeared when he's due for his and Willow's Community Service induction course.

Now be fair Irene, if you were in Leah's shoes you'd be doing the same, refusing to say anything because it isn't your secret.  You would have to have been blind not to see the looks between Robbo and Tori when they popped into the Diner. Didn't Tori and Robbo agree not to tell anyone about their plan until it was more settled so what does Tori do tells Leah, who was her advisor so I'll let that go but also Justin.  Robbo can't confide in anyone. Can't remember is Mason in on the big secret? Gave Robbo a bit of a jolt when Tori mentioned there would be counselling, as there would be, he's not good at opening up to strangers.  It would have looked to a lot of people seeing Tori and Robbo jumping into his truck that there was something going on, although they weren't snogging the faces off each other they looked very comfortable in each others company. I suppose they could have gone separately but wouldn't have taken too long before it was mentioned by say Justin 'oh Tori has gone to the city for a couple of days' then Willow saying the same thing about Robbo (oh that's right she did) to get people putting two and two together.  I like that Willow and Jasmine have made up so Jasmine has someone else to confide in over her feelings for Robbo.  Seemed to me Irene was trying to convince Jasmine, herself even that Tori and Robbo's hug was innocent which we know was, but couldn't think of a reason why they were hugging.

I think both Leah & Irene are in the same boat they like looking after people, Leah's got Tori, Irene's got Jasmine so are protective of both.  Didn't Tori bring up the subject of Leah acting as a surrogate mum for Ryder while Roo is away?

I can see Justin's concern for Tori, he's doing his big brother thing, looking out for his little sister,  he doesn't want to see her get hurt or let down if something should go wrong. May have seemed clinical his suggesting a form of contract but he knows from bitter experience with Ava what could happen and he and Nina had been an item, of course his having to disappear on the WPP didn't help even if there had been a contract. The contract would protect both Tori and Robbo, but when would it start as soon as Tori falls pregnant so Robbo gets a say in her pre natal care or only after the birth? Would either of them have the right to vet the others future partner? 

I'm not sure about the way Robbo and Tori's news got passed around town here.I can understand Justin telling Mason: He's family, he knew about Tori's IVF plans.I didn't object to Mason telling Jasmine: She was asking questions and it's not like he'd been sworn to secrecy.But when Jasmine then went and blabbed to Irene...I don't blame Jasmine, because no-one told her to keep quiet, but somewhere along the way people should have been told not to spread it around.I continue to like Grumpy Mason with his rebuttal of Justin and Willow being a bit self-absorbed.Ironically, with half the town in the know, Colby, who was Robbo's initial confidante, doesn't seem to have a clue.McCarthy is left tearing his hair out again at the immature idiots that comprise the regular police characters.Colby can't really go around refusing to work with Chelsea so it's probably the right idea to push them together and see how they handle it.

Dean hasn't quite hit the self-destruct button but isn't exactly in a shiny happy place either.And has to deal with John as his community service supervisor.I can understand Willow prioritising Dean but it sounds like Karen might have some sort of mental health issues.

And back to normal with the credits, so I guess yesterday was just a glitch!

That was an interesting unravelling of the 'secret'. Mason was honestly telling Jasmine the truth he didn't know anything about Tori and Robbo being a couple, which they aren't, but she piqued his interest enough to quiz Justin.  He in order to squash an untrue rumour had to let him in on the truth, leaving Mason just as gobsmacked as Justin was  when he was told. I guess then Mason felt Jasmine did deserve to be let in on the secret and it was just in effect a business arrangement. Maybe she should or maybe she shouldn't have told Irene but Irene isn't daft she would have sussed something was up and got it out of her eventually.  At least Irene realised why Leah was so edgy, hope she tells her she knows.  I don't think it will go any further, at least I hope it doesn't.  I can see why Jasmine's thinking it's all over between her & Robbo before it's begun, true there is no romantic tie between Tori & Robbo so no reason why they can't get together, but and it's a big but, he will, if all goes to plan, be a future dad so have added responsibilities, so no woner she wants to cut her losses now.  Btw I wonder how Tori and Robbo will feel when they find out more people know about the IVF than they wanted, hope Tori doesn't blame Leah who hasn't said anything.  Colby did say he'd been away and I don't think Robbo told him before he went away.

Chelsea confessed she asked for a  transfer to the bay to be near/stalk/get back with, take your pick,  with Colby, I'm not being a rabid feminist, but if a bloke had done that he'd be accused of all sorts of things. She may well be a very nice woman, but I want to slap her, she can't take no for an answer or even just step back a bit and give him some room. OK her appearing in SALT when he was there may have just been bad timing but she does seem to be shadowing him, every time he turns round there she is. McCarthy may not always have his eye on the ball but he picked up on the tension between C&C and even did some digging, finding out they'd been engaged so was able to pull Colby up when he told him they'd just dated a couple of times.  Actually, bloody good idea of his, thrusting them together, testing their ability to keep their private and professional lives separate. If it doesn't work, quite rightly Chelsea would be the one to be transferred back to her last post, the last in, first out rule and nothing to do with her being a woman.  Was there a thawing of Colby's attitude at the end?

Surprisingly they did make a good team when they turned out to John's call re the graffiti,  listened patiently and quietly to his moaning, including the  'in my day' whinge. I noticed Colby's lips twitch when Chelsea slapped John with the parking offence ticket, she turned John's argument right back on him.  Colby, like most cops once they have been in a small place like the bay for a while, learn to know when you can be a bit more lenient with the locals and he did manage to convey that to Chelsea who after John's blustering and attempts to wriggle out of the fine said she'd let it go  this time.  Btw I don't think Dean is behind the graffiti, it's not his thing.

Did John volunteer to be the Community Service supervisor or was he chosen?  There certainly will be lots to do at the Surf Club and surrounds and he won't take any nonsense. Dean didn't get off to a good start, but he show up eventually. Colby it seems also knew Karen from back in the day so knew and understood both Willow and Dean's feelings towards her.  Wow threatening to stab your son would be enough reason for Willow to want Dean to have nothing to do with her, she was trying to save his life. It hasn't stopped Dean worrying about her and blaming himself for leaving her, but he had no say in it, he was inside and in hospital before that. From what Willow was saying it seems she was always putting Dean down and telling him he was rubbish.  Willow's declaration "I want nothing more to do with him" didn't last long and it was nice to see her and Colby be there for him,  they might all have their fall outs with each other but, unlike a lot of families funnily, they rally round when one needs the other(s).

Mason does seem to have be left out of the caring loop lately.  Brody is happy with Ziggy, Tori has had her mind on other things and Justin has been absorbed with Willow, even Raffy hasn't been there to lend an ear or shoulder.  Not surprisingly he had a go at Willow for dumping the afternoon sessions on him though the circumstances were beyond her control, she had her Community Service Orientation to attend.  She had told Robbo she'd do the extra shifts but perhaps she said yes to that before the CSO was decided. Robbo is only going to be gone two days anyway. How has  Mason got it in his head Brody is replacing their mum with Maggie? At first he seemed pleased Brody was playing the guitar again, but his face darkened when Brody mentioned it was because of what Maggie said, now he's got the jump because Brody is teaching Maggie to cook.

Did we miss something with Maggie deciding healthy eating is the way to go as part of her recovery?  I thought her cooking was OK before this, not high dining but tasty, no-one had died, been poisoned, no complaints  as far as we know.  What has happened to the market garden Brody had, he said he got all his veg and stuff from an organic supplier. Laughed out loud at Ziggy suggesting to Maggie she'd have to show a lot more cleavage to compete with Nigella!:lol:  Btw Maggie the meals you cook up at home never look like the ones in magazines, it's all to do with the lighting, arrangement, even the plates. 

What was wrong with the credits Red, ours squish so quick I can't read them anyway.

Well, Dean certainly needs to check his attitude, he just got escaped prison, he could actually act a bit more responsible. Though I am glad that we got more information about him and his mum,  it sounds like a very unhappy relationship, though it is possible that there were mental health issues involved. Willow and Colby were good friends, giving them good advice so hopefully Dean will understand that he'll take things seriously and fix his attitude. Meanwhile I don't appreciate Colby refusing to even look at Chelsea, so it's good that McCarthy got the two to work together. Also I really liked the way she shut John down in his ranting, I really like her, she's independent and strong, even if she would seem a bit pushy, though to be fair, she was right when questioning Colby's relationship with Dean, I mean, he was going to leave work to look after him if McCarthy hadn't stopped him. So much for keeping personal life and professional live separate. Chelsea is right, he needs to accept some responsibility. 

And now we have Mason. I do get why he would be frustrated with Willow and Justin taking up his time, and why he's acting like this after all he suffered these past few weeks, but...he's acting like a real jerk towards everyone and I can't really handle him like this, acting like he's the only one with problems. I personally don't think it was his place to tell Jasmine about Tori and Robbo about their trip to the city, it is Robbo's place since he's close to Jasmine and it really has nothing to do with Mason other than the fact that he's family. And the way he laughed at the idea at Robbo being Tori's donor, and the way he shook his head at the Astoni family having a good time (also, it's great to hear Maggie is getting better), and when he says sarcastically "Yay for you" to Brody actually getting past the trauma of his parents' deaths very unlikeable, and even like a bully, acting like everyone else can't be happy just because he isn't. And now  he, with that smug smile of his, has put Brody's relationship with his wife's family in jeopardy because Mason doesn't want his brother to be happy. But then again, that doesn't surprise me, to me Mason never really knew how to react appropriately to a bad situation; from risking his family's lives  just because he wanted to keep his girlfriend, attacking Brody at least two times now unprovoked, telling Evie rather disturbingly when they were just on a friends-with-benefit relationship that he'd kill anyone who got close to her, to pressuring a man who was close to losing his wife to save his girlfriend...yeah, Mason doesn't exactly have what I would call a good reputation. 

I thought from the promo that yesterday might be the episode where I tired of Grumpy Mason. But while I thought his comment was below the belt, I actually didn’t have that much sympathy for Brody. He starts the day stealing all the milk again in a way that’s either thoughtless or deliberately pushing Mason’s buttons. And then, after being dealt that zinger, he goes and takes it out on Ziggy, not for the first time lately, in much the same way everyone’s criticising Mason of doing. So actually, I don’t think he’s any better, yet Brody’s the golden child and Mason’s the one people are quick to turn on. I did like the brief glimpse of the old Mason when he asked Brody about his guitar playing, until the mist descended again. Bit tough of Maggie to force Ben to eat her cooking so she didn’t have to! Anyway, Brody finally got over his sulk after a talking to from Justin but it feels like he really needs to trust Ziggy and stop using her as a verbal punchbag. Also, has everyone forgotten that Justin also witnessed their parents’ murders, and even indirectly caused their mother’s death? (Which Tori and Brody turned on him for while Mason was slightly more sympathetic, although again people are very quick to forget Mason’s good points… Personally I think he's one of the nicest people on the show, usually, yet life continually dumps on him.)

No idea what to make of John’s ticket. I smiled at Chelsea turning the tables on him, but why did Irene then think John could get out of it by talking to her and why did it work? Surely once the ticket was issued that’s it? Unless Chelsea was running some sort of long game to puncture John and get Colby on side… The latter seems to have worked anyway. I don’t think McCarthy specified which of them would leave and frankly, given how much trouble Colby causes him, he might be glad of an excuse to get rid of him!

I’ve empathised with Alf’s attitude up until now, but here he and Leah really did start behaving in a ridiculous manner, dragging Ryder around on a leash to keep him away from Big Bad Dean. Dumping him on Maggie was a disaster waiting to happen and I pretty much cheered when Ryder finally snapped and refused to play the game any longer. That said, he was being an obnoxious brat disrupting the study session and it actually made me feel sorry for Coco, who was trying to knuckle down but had to deal with Ryder’s antics. Alf’s right about one thing: He’s in danger of being as annoying as he was when he first came in.

9 hours ago, H&Alover said:

What was wrong with the credits Red, ours squish so quick I can't read them anyway.

Basically we got them twice on...Monday? We got the Oz credits running along the bottom of the promo, then we got the usual ones afer that!

ROTFLPMSL @ Kidnapping Ashleigh Brewer and forcing her to go back to Nabes! ??

Anyhoo, Ryder WAS being a tool. Anyone else would told him, "Look, if you're not here to study, go home." Maggie is recovering and doesn't need that kind of BS. Then again, Considerate Teens are rare breed in H&A.

Archived