1994 Episode Discussion

Dan F

To tell you the the truth, I really don't think Irene is cheap like we're supposed to see her.

After seeing people like Cheryl Braxton, Irene from the 90's looks first class.

​The only thing wrong with Irene is her double negatives which do grate...

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I’ve just caught up on about a month’s worth of episodes, up to 1414. And I have to admit I felt more than a bit sorry for Roy. His downfall may have been his own stupid fault but he was well-intentioned, despite everyone, especially his son, being very quick to think the worst of him, and wanted to turn his life around, only to lose everything in one swoop. Tug on the other hand I don’t think I’ve felt more than the occasional twinge of sympathy for. His self-pitying is very unattractive, and when he drops it it’s just so he can go back to his other unattractive quality, acting as though he’s “entitled” to Sarah and it’s only a matter of time before she realises what a mistake she’s making by not being with him. I could do a tirade here but I’ve flogged that dead horse enough.

Angel was another one that it was hard to have sympathy with for lengthy periods. She insists on telling Dylan she’s his mother against the advice of people a lot more intelligent and objective than her, coming across as quite the fantasist, then blames them all for being right. I was glad Shane called her out on going into a sulk just because Dylan didn’t yell “Mummy!” and dive into her arms. Shane’s been very likable lately yet he’s not a complete straight arrow: It was a nice touch to have him be insensitive towards Sarah but then make up for it, and another role reversal when he’s less keen than Damian on guilt tripping Nick.

And we say goodbye to Adam, who’s been there since the days of Frank and Roo. Everyone seemed quick to judge him as well, with Alf and Don branding him a thief on very little evidence, but it was good that he had that final chat with Don (which is obviously what I’ve been mixing up with Don’s speech at the end of ’93). A low-key but ultimately positive note to end on. And I haven’t gone completely crazy, Irene does end up borrowing Fin’s clothes after the fire as well as after her things were stolen when she came back.

I remember first time round thinking Nick does an incredibly poor job of warning Roxy that Fin can hear her badmouthing Irene: Instead of saying something like “Hi, Fin” he does a vague “You don’t mean that” act. So, things are definitely in motion for Irene to buy the beach house but given my memory of who ends up sharing it with her I’m intrigued to see just how the pieces slot into place. Given that she seemed to forgive Ailsa for not wanting her as a partner (ironic given that she’s now best known for owning the Diner) in the gap between episodes, she seems to be holding onto the grudge against Roxy a bit.

Despite being a bit of a brat, Sam is now fully integrated into the Ross household, and Don’s overly sulky behaviour (despite agreeing when he first moved in to leave discipline to Michael and Pippa) is redeemed by some lovely scenes between him and Sam in the aftermath.

Oh, and James went. He seemed to go through a fairly extreme jerkification in the process.

​You said everything that I've been wanting to say.

And James left? I missed one episode last week and I guess he left in that one...or I just hadn't paid attention to him leaving. He was a badly written character.

Another thing that struck me was the way the ouija board scene played out: Angel thinking the message was about Sam never really felt right (since they got the message long after he was rescued) but it's somewhat unusual, especially around this time, for a Home and Away scene that seems to hint at the supernatural to give a definitive mundane explanation.

Like Red, I went in for like three weeks worth of H&A:TEY and am at the same point.

Tug "Poor Me, Nobody likes me waaah" O'Neale is going back to what he was the year before. He's been craving the same time of punch he likes to dish out for a while.

Irene didn't look too bad in that lengthy stripey number of Fin's though I doubt modern Day Irene would be seen dead in it.

I always thought The Shack was on Caravan Park land for some reason but waaaay out.

Adam isn't one for mush so his end scene is a good one, too bad :lol:

He turns back into 1991 pre-Accident Adam taken up to Eleven when he returns in 1999

. I like how he outlasted so many other post-pilot characters. Ironically, Mat Stevenson was disillusioned about a year in and stayed another 4! 

Sam got off way too easy (okay, he nearly got BBQd but technically It'd be his own fault, sorry if that sounds harsh). The little monster could have caused a serious accident. 

Angel, the position of Naive Teenage girl already has been filled, and it's by Sarah. Dylan wasn't gonna miraculously call her mummy. Everyone tried to tell her but Angel is as Angel does!

Talking of Sarah, that line always stuck in my head about her looking like Shirley Temple/Ronald McDonald! :lol::lol:

Nice to see Ailsa's opinion of Roo hasn't changed.

So we find out that Sarah's mother took off, Not surprised so much. Matthew, while more reasonable than Barlow still carries the same air of backwardness. I always assumed Janet died.

Bye, Bye James. That's Roxy left single until

A former Summer Bay Son by the name of Rob Storey pops up later this year

Oh yes, I forgot about the Ailsa/Roo thing.I was already finding it a bit of a stretch that "visiting Blake and Karen" seems to have become the default explanation why Ailsa isn't in an episode after everything that happened in 1993, with Ailsa and Karen practically hating each other by the end and Blake blotting his copy book by hurting Fin, but I was starting to rationalise it as evidence that they'd both got their lives sorted and the relationship with the Stewarts had been repaired.And then you have Ailsa refusing to visit Roo with Alf because "we never got on", even though last time we saw them together in 1989 they were getting along fine and it was Roo that Ailsa chose to have with her when she gave birth to Duncan, and I'm left wondering if anyone working on the show then actually bothered to check how characters had left.

Adam isn't one for mush so his end scene is a good one, too bad

:lol:

Hidden Content

. I like how he outlasted so many other post-pilot characters. Ironically, Mat Stevenson was disillusioned about a year in and stayed another 4! 

​Has anyone here in Aus noticed Mat Stevenson as the 'lead' in a current medical commercial about returning to work after injury?  He has his arm in a sling, but doesn't deliver any lines... I'm sure it's him, slightly thinning on top now.

I actually recorded it on my PVR as it was in a H&A commercial break!  I may post a link later...

Like Red, I went in for like three weeks worth of H&A:TEY and am at the same point.

Tug "Poor Me, Nobody likes me waaah" O'Neale is going back to what he was the year before. He's been craving the same time of punch he likes to dish out for a while.

Irene didn't look too bad in that lengthy stripey number of Fin's though I doubt modern Day Irene would be seen dead in it.

I always thought The Shack was on Caravan Park land for some reason but waaaay out.

Adam isn't one for mush so his end scene is a good one, too bad :lol:

Hidden Content

Sam got off way too easy (okay, he nearly got BBQd but technically It'd be his own fault, sorry if that sounds harsh). The little monster could have caused a serious accident. 

Angel, the position of Naive Teenage girl already has been filled, and it's by Sarah. Dylan wasn't gonna miraculously call her mummy. Everyone tried to tell her but Angel is as Angel does!

Talking of Sarah, that line always stuck in my head about her looking like Shirley Temple/Ronald McDonald! :lol::lol:

Nice to see Ailsa's opinion of Roo hasn't changed.

So we find out that Sarah's mother took off, Not surprised so much. Matthew, while more reasonable than Barlow still carries the same air of backwardness. I always assumed Janet died.

Bye, Bye James. That's Roxy left single until

Hidden Content

​Totally agree with you about Sam. Its his own fault! He shouldn't be playing with matches. :/

He could have also caused a major accident prior to the fire, suppose he squirted Nick and Nick ran him or that park guest down or even ploughed through the van and killed said guest? (okay, the last bit OTT, but my point is valid)

​So everyone agrees? Sam's a major brat. :P

Adam isn't one for mush so his end scene is a good one, too bad

:lol:

Hidden Content

​Has anyone here in Aus noticed Mat Stevenson as the 'lead' in a current medical commercial about returning to work after injury?  He has his arm in a sling, but doesn't deliver any lines... I'm sure it's him, slightly thinning on top now.

I actually recorded it on my PVR as it was in a H&A commercial break!  I may post a link later...

​Yes it is him and yes he does have lines and yes, he sounds exactly the same.

Archived