Characters that could return ?

-Kevin-

I think seeing as Lucy Addario has virtually zero interest in the history of H&A I cannot see any returns soon unless they are a highly forgettable tattooed ex gangster enemy of the Braxtons. They ruined Sally I think when she returned. I grew up with the Alan Bateman H&A and if Lucy had the Bateman style of the show then she probably would bring back some memorable characters and not have them ruined.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Characters with a connection to Alf or Irene are the best bet if you're going for older characters, Irene's children are long overdue a return although how feasible that is in real world terms I don't know.

As we all know, Dannii Minogue has been very vocal about her wish to appear again, I'm not quite sure why they haven't seemed to take her up on it - after all, Emma is still Alf's niece. I guess there is the disadvantage that any quick appearance in a couple of eps (presuming she'd be too busy for a few weeks stint) would just be seen as an attempt for a ratings grabber with no real substance, but it is the sort of thing that happens in real life, people just nipping in if they're in the area.

As you say, bringing her back just for the sake of it is counterproductive, if all she's going to do is pop her head round the door, say "Hi, Alf" and then disappear again.I think the only way it would work is if there's some sort of event, maybe Alf has another birthday or gets an award, and she comes back for a couple of episodes to share it with him, so she isn't the main focus of the episode.

I have to say, I'm still at a loss as to how Sally was "ruined" by her 2013 return, unless it's simply by virtue of the fact that she's now associated with an era and characters that some people don't like very much.In which case, it's kind of a no-win situation.

I've always thought that characters returning is a good idea and can provide a connection to the show's history but I think that people underestimate the difficulty and complexity of pulling off the successful return of a character.

Firstly, if the character has no connection with current inhabitants of the Bay then that connection has to be established or re-established through some sort of lead up.. As Dan and RR1 have pointed out that means that characters connected with Alf and Irene are the obvious choices. They would have obvious and relatively easy storyline hooks through which they could be re-integrated into the Bay.

Second, characters from a bygone era may not fit comfortably into the current atmosphere of the show. The show has changed over the years as Australian society has changed. Those characters would have changed in the time they have been away from the Bay and those changes would have to be explained and accommodated into storylines.

In either case for a character's return visit to be a "success" care would have to be taken with good lead up storylines to re-establish the character and then some specific purpose provided for their stay in the Bay.

This purpose can't reasonably be to take the show back into a past era that some people liked better than today's show. The character that returns must have the potential to become part of today's show and part of its future.

I thought this was done well with Sally's return. She had the obvious connection to Alf and Marilyn and care was taken to have her meet and interact with current characters. Her storyline surrounding Pippa's illness allowed for her to meet the Bay's current residents and for them to become involved with her in a meaningful way. She once again easily became part of the Bay.

I just didn't really like the way the storyline was written when Sally came back. It felt like it was a bit of an afterthought and it was quite repetitive where we would often here her or Alf saying very similar things quite often. If Sally hadn't ever left and the storyline was played out identically within the current H&A format, I would feel the same way. It's the way the show is written overall that I dislike.

I agree that if a character returns, they should have a purpose or reason to return. That's why I've repeated myself so many times over the years about bringing back Irene's biological kids because it's actually really strange that they haven't ever returned to see someone they supposedly 'care' about - there is a storyline in that.

I felt that Sally's return was good in the couple of first episodes. Then it didn't develop and became repetitive which is typical for H&A now. I think that Pippa's condition was too tragic. It did offered some good scenes the first days, but all in all - i think that if her reason for return was made less tragic she could have had scenes with the others without the constant nagging about money, and making Alf and Roo look like idiots and making Brax the hero was just stupid.

I would liked to see more of Pippa jr. and Darcy together. And I would have liked Sally to work at the school for a while, could have been an assistant to help Bianca after Ginas death.

I do agree that the characters need a reason to return, but I don't think it has to be so complicated. Visiting their hometown, or staying there for a while to do a small job and catch up with old friends is sometimes enough. It doesn't have to be serious illness, problems with a stalker or a murder to make old characters return.

I'd like to see Irene's kids come back, it's time they returned! Would the actors who played them originally be willing to return though?

Agree with Martha returning, would love to see her and Roo have scenes together.

Would like to see Sally back but it's unlikely with kate Ritchie pregnant. A passing comment from Alf about how Pippa's treatment is going would be good at least.

I'd also love to see Irene's family return. I think it's absolutely criminal how underused an amazing actress like Lynne and of course her character of Irene is. Seriously, when will the writers give Irene a more substantial storyline. She deserves so much better, and by bringing back her family or the numerous kids she's took under her wings, like Geoff and Annie would be nice.

Like others here I'd love to see Irene's children make a return, especially Damian and Finlay. I don't think we'd see Finlay again because Tina Thomsen is no longer acting these days and this was confirmed by Lynne McGranger a few years ago. I think Matt Doran who portrayed Damian is still acting though so there's a scope for a return there potentially.

Martha is another one that could slot back in nicely especially with Alf and Roo around, but the problem with her though is that Jodi Gordon didn't leave the show on the best of terms and the character of Martha left in circumstances where she could do jail time if she's caught harbouring a fugitive in Hugo. She was never the same character for me after Jack died but her character can easily be fixed as we see her develop an on-screen mother-daughter relationship with Roo.

I wouldn't mind seeing Emma make a return after all these years, but it would most likely be a brief one in my opinion if it did happen. The problem with Emma is that she was more connected with Ailsa as opposed to Alf and with Ailsa no longer around it's hard to see her ever returning unless Dannii Minogue heavily persuades the producers to bring her back even if it's only for a brief period of time. I'd love to see Duncan come back especially with him being married now (he got married off-screen in 2009) and potentially having children.

Another character that could return and would really appeal to the Early Years viewers is Carly. Carly could easily fit into Summer Bay again and act as a caring mother to her children and with children now this gives the writers plenty of opportunity to have her children become a part of the community and to interact with the current younger cast. I guess bringing back Ben would be a little difficult since Julian McMahon is acting overseas but his absence could be explained with him being in the Army still or the producers could just recast him if no other solution to his absence can be explained.

I'd also bring back Dodge just for the sake of it after nearly 20 years, but without Steven being around anymore it's hardly going to happen :P

I'd also love to see Irene's family return. I think it's absolutely criminal how underused an amazing actress like Lynne and of course her character of Irene is. Seriously, when will the writers give Irene a more substantial storyline. She deserves so much better, and by bringing back her family or the numerous kids she's took under her wings, like Geoff and Annie would be nice.

I think the writers are just into the Braxtons and crime and lust related storylines and ignore characters who dont fit into the current format of the show hence why Irene and Alf just get the odd "Enjoy your meal" and "Strike me roan" lines. Lucy and Louise seem to have very generic minds when producing the show and want a generic show with no identity.

Characters with a connection to Alf or Irene are the best bet if you're going for older characters, Irene's children are long overdue a return although how feasible that is in real world terms I don't know.

As we all know, Dannii Minogue has been very vocal about her wish to appear again, I'm not quite sure why they haven't seemed to take her up on it - after all, Emma is still Alf's niece. I guess there is the disadvantage that any quick appearance in a couple of eps (presuming she'd be too busy for a few weeks stint) would just be seen as an attempt for a ratings grabber with no real substance, but it is the sort of thing that happens in real life, people just nipping in if they're in the area.

Irene's children, though particularly her 2 grandchildren which would be more feasible, are something that Lynne McGranger has been hoping for for a long time - when I mentioned that Paul & Mark would be 16 last year, she was quick to point it out to Louise Bowes. (though I don't say that to start up an anti-producer discussion, let's just keep it as who we'd like to see and how it could happen) I am all for Dannii Minogue returning and it baffles me why they haven't taken her up on it. Dannii posted a pic at Palm Beach on her Instagram a few weeks ago and my heart skipped a beat but it was to do with Dani Im filming a single I think?!

Emma does have a reason to return and this could give the show a much needed ratings boost in the UK as people are always saying they want Dannii back on TV! The media would have a field day with it.

I'm baffled as to why people think Sally was ruined when she returned?! I think it was a great story. I'm just annoyed it was never confirmed whether she had sold the house or not. And I don't think Kate would have returned if she felt Sally was ruined. She's said time and time again Sally is her best friend and I doing she would

go back to destroy her.

Archived