Are the current producers ruining Home and Away?

JamesC10

Why does it matter? H and A only obligation is to deliver quality tv. I don't think they are under any obligation to show diversity or progression. Sorry but I just think people take this show way too seriousley. Sorry but it seems that way too me. Alot of these tropes that H and A depict, they did not create. You see the Psycho Lesbian, or the Psycho Teenager e.t.c. In many shows, so I don't think its fair to isolate Home and Away soley. But that's just my opinion. I think for a show that has been only nearly three decades. It's doing fine depicting Aussie life and culture in 2017, which it now is. I don't think the show is as bad as people always make it out to be, but thats jmo. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Luke39 said:

Why does it matter? H and A only obligation is to deliver quality tv. I don't think they are under any obligation to show diversity or progression. Sorry but I just think people take this show way too seriousley. Sorry but it seems that way too me. Alot of these tropes that H and A depict, they did not create. You see the Psycho Lesbian, or the Psycho Teenager e.t.c. In many shows, so I don't think its fair to isolate Home and Away soley. But that's just my opinion. I think for a show that has been only nearly three decades. It's doing fine depicting Aussie life and culture in 2017, which it now is. I don't think the show is as bad as people always make it out to be, but thats jmo. 

Sorry but that's out of line i am so sick of those of us who want to see diversity getting responses like THAT

4 hours ago, Luke39 said:

H and A only obligation is to deliver quality tv.

Producing quality TV generally means taking risks and pushing boundaries, which H&A doesn't.

4 hours ago, Luke39 said:

It's doing fine depicting Aussie life and culture in 2017, which it now is.

You don't seem to understand. It's not depicting Aussie life. That's the whole point.

6 hours ago, Luke39 said:

They didn't create it is not an excuse.

It's not "Aussie life and culture in 2017" if you are of a skin colour other than white or not Anglo Saxon or disabled or gay. How must it feel to watch a show all your life and never see anyone that looks anything like you or your family on it.

Your comment annoys me no end tbh.

Comments in this thread are becoming increasingly personal.  That is against Forum Rules. Having a different opinion does't amount to a personal attack or slight.

Members should stick to attacking opinions not the people who express them.

3 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

I feel H&A should show diversity. Neighbours shows diversity a lot better.

yes so true they had an Korean Student on Ramsey street for awhile years ago. Summer bay is your typical Hottie Headquarters if you want to drool over Bikinis and Topless mates. as the bloke told me when he visited the set. Nothing wrong with that sterotype of Aussie culture. which does exist however not all Aussie are alike and it be nice to see some realism now and then.

On 13/01/2017 at 2:35 AM, Luke39 said:

I apologise if I am wrong but at a guess I would say u were a white straight male.?  I don't mean to be personal in any way, but I am sure Australia has a huge mix of people. For one of the main shows of the country to only represent just one demographic I would say thats incredible prejudice to the shows own decrement. I agree with you. It's not an obligation to deliver equality. It should go without saying. I've been in love with home and away since 1988 despite the fact I've never been represented. But enough is enough. There are black people. There are gay people. And shock horror- some of them live in Avalon and Clareville etc. I know them! And some may have even travelled up from the city! To ignore in 2017 is disgusting. I would say that the old school home and away even had a large percentage of gay fans. The current show has stuck two fingers up at them. The last black main character was elighah. When was that 2012? Make me sick to the stomach. 

And again I reiterate. Art should be used to challenge. Not to confirm with establishement. Otherwise what is the point. 

4 minutes ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I apologise if I am wrong but at a guess I would say u were a white straight male.?  I don't mean to be personal in any way, but I am sure Australia has a huge mix of people. For one of the main shows of the country to only represent just one demographic I would say thats incredible prejudice to the shows own decrement. I agree with you. It's not an obligation to deliver equality. It should go without saying. I've been in love with home and away since 1988 despite the fact I've never been represented. But enough is enough. There are black people. There are gay people. And shock horror- some of them live in Avalon and Clareville etc. I know them! And some may have even travelled up from the city! To ignore in 2017 is disgusting. I would say that the old school home and away even had a large percentage of gay fans. The current show has stuck two fingers up at them. The last black main character was elighah. When was that 2012? Make me sick to the stomach. 

Would it hurt if they tried to show some equality!

7 minutes ago, samdanfan said:

Would it hurt if they tried to show some equality!

I would say no. But then again I'm not sure. I'm from England though. We have had diversity  in our soap operas for a long time and it really isn't a big deal anymore. Our shows acknowledge different types of people. We don't get to see a lot of australia's good dramas unfortunately. Although we know there is so much talent there. Neighbours and home and away are still the main shows that we associate Australia with here. They  are both shown on the same channel. One after the other. So There is  obvious difference between the two. I think only guys from Australia can answer your question. There is diversity in all of our soaps. Home and away stands out like a sore thumb over here. 

How an earth can they justify having an all white cast for five years

Archived