Are the current producers ruining Home and Away?

JamesC10

46 minutes ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I would say no. But then again I'm not sure. I'm from England though. We have had diversity  in our soap operas for a long time and it really isn't a big deal anymore. Our shows acknowledge different types of people. We don't get to see a lot of australia's good dramas unfortunately. Although we know there is so much talent there. Neighbours and home and away are still the main shows that we associate Australia with here. They  are both shown on the same channel. One after the other. So There is  obvious difference between the two. I think only guys from Australia can answer your question. There is diversity in all of our soaps. Home and away stands out like a sore thumb over here. 

How an earth can they justify having an all white cast for five years

So true Im thinking they want to show the beach life in NSW more than anything else based on what I been told.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, samdanfan said:

I'm thinking they want to show the beach life in NSW more than anything else based on what I been told.

And people of all colours go to the beach in NSW - as do people with all sexualities, abilities and disabilities. Hell last time I was there a fat and ugly person like me was allowed on too...

I'm loving this conversation, and I want it to continue, but I think it should be moved into the diversity thread. 

Moving back towards this thread's topic, TV Week released a list of HAA's scariest shootings, with over half of them taking place in the Lucy/Braxton era. http://www.tvweeklogieawards.com.au/galleries/galleries/2017/1/home-and-aways-scariest-shootings/

Does this show that there has been a severe repetition in storylines since 2011, as this gallery only depict the "deadly" and not ones like Kat's or Brax's close calls. 

27 minutes ago, joany208121 said:

I'm loving this conversation, and I want it to continue, but I think it should be moved into the diversity thread. 

Moving back towards this thread's topic, TV Week released a list of HAA's scariest shootings, with over half of them taking place in the Lucy/Braxton era. http://www.tvweeklogieawards.com.au/galleries/galleries/2017/1/home-and-aways-scariest-shootings/

Does this show that there has been a severe repetition in storylines since 2011, as this gallery only depict the "deadly" and not ones like Kat's or Brax's close calls. 

I agree. 

6 hours ago, joany208121 said:

TV Week released a list of HAA's scariest shootings, with over half of them taking place in the Lucy/Braxton era. http://www.tvweeklogieawards.com.au/galleries/galleries/2017/1/home-and-aways-scariest-shootings/

Every time they repeat a storyline, unless they're really creative about it (and that's not a word I associate with modern H&A), it loses some impact. Like thinking back to the very early days with Kerry Barlow's shooting. That was shocking, though not graphic. Nowadays it is the other way around. In this era of high drama, it's only a matter of time before another shooting (or gun-related scenario) comes around, so they are more routine than scary. Are the writers running out of fresh ideas? You could say they did that 20 years ago I suppose.

7 hours ago, harrietjames said:

And people of all colours go to the beach in NSW - as do people with all sexualities, abilities and disabilities. Hell last time I was there a fat and ugly person like me was allowed on too...

Then see that on the bay?

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Every time they repeat a storyline, unless they're really creative about it (and that's not a word I associate with modern H&A), it loses some impact. Like thinking back to the very early days with Kerry Barlow's shooting. That was shocking, though not graphic. Nowadays it is the other way around. In this era of high drama, it's only a matter of time before another shooting (or gun-related scenario) comes around, so they are more routine than scary. Are the writers running out of fresh ideas? You could say they did that 20 years ago I suppose.

Yes Its routine anymore

On 1/15/2017 at 3:52 PM, harrietjames said:

I think they're still basing the show loosely on the location of Palm Beach. Up there the vast majority of residents are actually white (not talking about tourists), it's quite glaringly obvious when you live in a more inner city beach location in Sydney which is massively multi-cultural, then you head up a few hours North of the city - it's very white. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that Imo. But I do think that Summer Bay isn't Palm Beach so they could definitely make the show more diverse and I'd really enjoy watching the show if it was a lot more multi cultural.

I think the problem is that it's just one show - there are more multi-cultural shows and dramas made in Australia and I think it's improving more and more as the years go by, but international audiences only really see H&A and Neighbours which don't accurately represent the Australian industry as a whole and they shouldn't, that's not their job. I actually think Neighbours is also very out of touch with reality to be honest. Yes it's got more diversity but the types of personalities they are writing don't really represent the majority of Australians I don't think.

On 2017-01-13 at 9:04 AM, Edward Skylover said:

Producing quality TV generally means taking risks and pushing boundaries, which H&A doesn't.

You don't seem to understand. It's not depicting Aussie life. That's the whole point.

Here here. Average Australian does not live under witness protection neither experience a plane crash in the desert.

in not sure I agree with that. H and a have been taking risks and pushing boundaries since 2011. That was a big part of The Braxtons. And now The Morgans. That and the racy content. I said before I think the content is fine, the rating should prob be M. To reflect the current content. It's not exactly PG anymore. Not that I expect a rating change or anything. 

So I don't understand that comment. If anything they are not depicting Aussie lifestyle correctly. I agree with that. I think H and A do depict Aussie life most of the time. It prob lacks balance and consistency. I still maintain I prefer a H and A that feels like it's a show in 2017. A lot to do with that. Is the set designs and the environment. Compared to Neigh Bores. Where it feels in terms of its set designs. Are stuck in the nineties. I'm not saying H a A is perfect. Far from it. But later end of 2016. Things improved. I would like to see the Fostering Aspect return. As for Diversity. I still maintain yeah it's important. But I don't think it should be their main priority or anything.

Archived