Are the current producers ruining Home and Away?

JamesC10

I used to work in a seaside town which has a family who are similar the Braxtons in H&A. They have a reputation for sheer violence and if you get into a fracas with one of them and any other family members are nearby, you get dog piled on and end up severely kneecapped. One of them is a local boxer and he has appeared in local newspapers charged with GBH on a few occasions. They are not the sort of family I should get to know, nor would want to know, if you unintentionally step on their toes, you end up getting battered. The Braxtons had a reputation for violent crimes so Home And Away having a criminal family in a seaside town is what can happen in real life, it is just since they have arrived, that format has been built upon.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

I used to work in a seaside town which has a family who are similar the Braxtons in H&A. They have a reputation for sheer violence and if you get into a fracas with one of them and any other family members are nearby, you get dog piled on and end up severely kneecapped. One of them is a local boxer and he has appeared in local newspapers charged with GBH on a few occasions. They are not the sort of family I should get to know, nor would want to know, if you unintentionally step on their toes, you end up getting battered. The Braxtons had a reputation for violent crimes so Home And Away having a criminal family in a seaside town is what can happen in real life, it is just since they have arrived, that format has been built upon.

When read the Aussie news and there crime stories posted some I think wow that happen on BLUE HEELERS.

On 15/01/2017 at 2:40 PM, samdanfan said:

So true Im thinking they want to show the beach life in NSW more than anything else based on what I been told.

Sydney has one the biggest gay population outside of San Francisco. I guess 7 thinks they don't go down the coast :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, sindikatas said:

Again, I don't think that plane crashes and witness protection storylines could be called as pushing boundaries. Especially since there were so many similar storylines since 2005.

Well no but I was more referring to the racy content, they have been depicting since 2011. Your right they did that stuff ten odd years ago. But they have been pushing their own boundaries, in terms of the format. I agree with the fact, that their are families like The Braxtons and The Morgans who do exist in Aussie towns e.t.c. So I don't think its unrealistic to depict them in a show like Home and Away. But H and A should be a sleepy, backwards, beach town. I just think balance and consistency is the key. They did develop their format since 2011, on that Braxton Formula. Like the day they all invaded the beach. Since then the community feel has returned gradually. But it's not an over night fix. Home and Away though is in a lot better place then it was around that 2012-2014 awful periord. 

And on the point of Diversity. Move this post if it should be moved to another thread now. But as for the Psycho Lesbian Trope. I don't think it was ever suggested Tabitha was obsessed with Olivia, because she was some frustrated Lesbian. OR they were reinforcing that trope. I simply think it was established, she had a sister with Cancer from what I Recall. So she could of been from a psychological perspective, latching onto Olivia. And obsessing about her. Like the scene where she undressed. Was unnerving. Malinged almost. But she did sleep with Hunter, so who knows where the showrunners were heading with that one. And I guess the show could have a few LGBT characters. But you know they could also have a few Aborigine characters. But has been said after Charlie and Joey. They may be shy about the whole thing. You know portraying diversity in any form. So don't get me wrong. I would love Diversity on the show too. I just think its a complex issue. 

Much as I was no fan of the Braxtons and associates, and I'm on the fence with the Morgans, you can draw parallels between the arrival of these new families and the overall premise of newcomers from a different social situation shaking up established life in a small town (the pilot episode).

Originally it was more about the locals' attitudes to wayward teens, who maybe let down some tyres, stole some garden gnomes and burnt down the odd caravan, whereas these days, it's more about being pursued by armed criminals, cutting the brakes on cars, hostage situations and shooting down planes.

The series works best when exploring the difference in people from different classes and backgrounds in society, but also within a family and community setting. To some extent the Braxtons continued that theme, but in a much more extreme way. One other difference, which has been mentioned many times, is the moral compass of the series. It is very disappointing that in recent years, bad behaviour has generally gone unpunished and the "heroes" of the series are no longer the respectable moral decent folk, but, more often than not, those with criminal associations.

59 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Much as I was no fan of the Braxtons and associates, and I'm on the fence with the Morgans, you can draw parallels between the arrival of these new families and the overall premise of newcomers from a different social situation shaking up established life in a small town (the pilot episode).

Originally it was more about the locals' attitudes to wayward teens, who maybe let down some tyres, stole some garden gnomes and burnt down the odd caravan, whereas these days, it's more about being pursued by armed criminals, cutting the brakes on cars, hostage situations and shooting down planes.

The series works best when exploring the difference in people from different classes and backgrounds in society, but also within a family and community setting. To some extent the Braxtons continued that theme, but in a much more extreme way. One other difference, which has been mentioned many times, is the moral compass of the series. It is very disappointing that in recent years, bad behaviour has generally gone unpunished and the "heroes" of the series are no longer the respectable moral decent folk, but, more often than not, those with criminal associations.

So True

On 15/01/2017 at 10:55 PM, samdanfan said:

When read the Aussie news and there crime stories posted some I think wow that happen on BLUE HEELERS.

Although out of that violent family, I did work with someone from the family who appeared to be the only level headed member, and others said he was the only decent one out of them as they knew his family's reputation. So there is always a good member somewhere. Out of the Braxtons in H&A I think Kyle was the nicest one.

Alan Bateman said that he got the idea for H&A when he stopped off for an ice cream in a remote NSW town inbetween Wagga Wagga and Yarrawonga (in Vic, but near the NSW VIC border)and got talking and some residents were up in arms over a new foster home being built, some were willing to give them a go, others said their quiet town will be full of "Druggies and bludgers and the streets will be unsafe at night". So the Braxtons arriving sort of reinforced that but the focus then switched onto them and their style.

17 minutes ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Although out of that violent family, I did work with someone from the family who appeared to be the only level headed member, and others said he was the only decent one out of them as they knew his family's reputation. So there is always a good member somewhere. Out of the Braxtons in H&A I think Kyle was the nicest one.

Alan Bateman said that he got the idea for H&A when he stopped off for an ice cream in a remote NSW town inbetween Wagga Wagga and Yarrawonga (in Vic, but near the NSW VIC border)and got talking and some residents were up in arms over a new foster home being built, some were willing to give them a go, others said their quiet town will be full of "Druggies and bludgers and the streets will be unsafe at night". So the Braxtons arriving sort of reinforced that but the focus then switched onto them and their style.

As a Aussie member of one of my clubs said "For every bad Aussie there 10 good ones"  after I told her some of the issues I had with some in Queensland and Melbourne.

Archived