Are the current producers ruining Home and Away?

JamesC10

On 1/6/2017 at 6:54 PM, dee123 said:

Well this is a show that in 2017 that doesn't have a regular gay, disabled, black, or Asian character. I'm not asking for minority bingo and to have them just because they are a minority but to not even have 1 speaks volumes...

I get lack of diversity. But I think it's hard to cast an actor to play multi cultured, or LGBT characters.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Luke39 said:

I get lack of diversity. But I think it's hard to cast an actor to play multi cultured, or LGBT characters.

So how do you account for the fact that Neighbours has or has had "multi cultured, or LGBT characters"?

1 hour ago, Luke39 said:

How it is hard exactly to cast a character who's gay? Gay people come in all walks of life.

6 hours ago, Luke39 said:

Yeah it must be really hard to cast a gay character out of probably 10s of millions LGBT people in the world. And the however many billions of straight people.

3 hours ago, Luke39 said:

But I think it's hard to cast an actor to play multi cultured, or LGBT characters.

It's hard to cast an actor to ACT? Tim Campbell(Dan) and Kylie Watson(Shauna) were both actors who convincingly played straight characters while being gay in real life.

14 hours ago, harrietjames said:

It's hard to cast an actor to ACT? Tim Campbell(Dan) and Kylie Watson(Shauna) were both actors who convincingly played straight characters while being gay in real life.

I never said that. I am just saying I get the show need more diversity in the show. But I Don't think the show should be looking at casting characters/actors simply for the sake of having an LGBT Character, or an Asian, Pacific. Maori. Aboriginial e.t.c. For me personally does not bother me. I never said it is hard for actors to play gay or straight characters. I am just of the opinion H and A are not equipped. And have prooven in the past, they suck at it lol. I mean we got a taste of it with Charlie and Joey, I know i am bringing that up again. As that is the last time they attempted at any diversity in this show. And it fell flat on its back. Charlie a confused straight woman, Joey Gay. Diddn't work. So I Guess they need to cast a character, who just happens to be Gay. The one from neighbors, sorry name escaping me is a good example. The Brennan. So I am just saying their is alot to consider. From the shows point of view. 

Luke, lots of other people have interpreted your words as such based on their responses.

It wouldn't take much to inject a bit of diversity. The character of Nate could have been any nationality rather than English it and still would have worked. Caroline could have been an African American rather than White. Or If Spencer and Maddy had been two boys or two girls when they rocked up, running from families so they could be together. 

6 hours ago, Luke39 said:

I never said that. I am just saying I get the show need more diversity in the show. But I Don't think the show should be looking at casting characters/actors simply for the sake of having an LGBT Character, or an Asian, Pacific. Maori. Aboriginial e.t.c. For me personally does not bother me. I never said it is hard for actors to play gay or straight characters. I am just of the opinion H and A are not equipped. And have prooven in the past, they suck at it lol. I mean we got a taste of it with Charlie and Joey, I know i am bringing that up again. As that is the last time they attempted at any diversity in this show. And it fell flat on its back. Charlie a confused straight woman, Joey Gay. Diddn't work. So I Guess they need to cast a character, who just happens to be Gay. The one from neighbors, sorry name escaping me is a good example. The Brennan. So I am just saying their is alot to consider. From the shows point of view. 

Trouble is, they dont even portray straight white people in a proper way. And if your point is true I would suggest they get out of their little box quick smart and work out a way to write for people. Real people, gay, straight, black, white or bright green. (As roxy would say). 

Its sudden me that in the past we had Stephanie, Aaron, Jai, Elijah, Kevin, Kelly etc. Characters that were just there. They never felt like "token" characters. And now you think they are incapable of that? It's ludicrous. 

And look how the current episodes are dealing with Shannon's sexuality in the repeats. Might not be perfect, but for that time I'd say it was a positive thing. They weren't scared of complaint but 22 years later they could be! Something's wrong here. 

Archived