Are the current producers ruining Home and Away?

JamesC10

The question you got to ask. Is the current format performing? To be honest yes. I've said the content regardless of ones individual interpretation. Is not the issue technically. It's the rating. Most of the content is pretty racy at times. PG seems a bit tame. Not that I see them upgrading the rating to M all anything any time soon. But I'm just saying a lot of the topics in the show are more pushing boundaries should I say. Then they were in 1995. Or even ten years ago. Unplanned Pregnancies, sex in elevators, crime, violence etc. So you know. That's not to say I don't enjoy that stuff in reason. But I think the key is consistency and balance. I do agree with the notion it could be An unwillingness to risk, or try anything new.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Luke39 said:

The question you got to ask. Is the current format performing? To be honest yes. I've said the content regardless of ones individual interpretation. Is not the issue technically. It's the rating. Most of the content is pretty racy at times. PG seems a bit tame. Not that I see them upgrading the rating to M all anything any time soon. But I'm just saying a lot of the topics in the show are more pushing boundaries should I say. Then they were in 1995. Or even ten years ago. Unplanned Pregnancies, sex in elevators, crime, violence etc. So you know. That's not to say I don't enjoy that stuff in reason. But I think the key is consistency and balance. I do agree with the notion it could be An unwillingness to risk, or try anything new.

I think its just the nature of Soaps now to create more conflict and breakups than to make a new Sally or have someone come in new to  become  its next Aussie export to the USA. when they decide to move on?

I like to see more kids and a stable family without any issues.

Some comedy now and then would be nice.

Bring back the Australia I admired in the 80s and 90s!

That's my wish

2 hours ago, samdanfan said:

I think its just the nature of Soaps now to create more conflict and breakups than to make a new Sally or have someone come in new to  become  its next Aussie export to the USA. when they decide to move on?

I like to see more kids and a stable family without any issues.

Some comedy now and then would be nice.

Bring back the Australia I admired in the 80s and 90s!

That's my wish

Yeah I've always loved h and a as a kiwi. Because the Aussie lifestyle and culture. ATM I can't say I'm seeing that in the present show. Lack of balance possibly. Without spoiling the UK lot. Season Final was an improovement in that regard. So love to see a new family next, ahem this year LOL. Who's just a typical, stable Aussie family. Without any issues. Other then the typical. Sutherlands, Holdens, Palmers, Walkers etc. That's my one wish for 2017. That and the Fostering aspect returning. As for comedy, we'll just put Matt and Roo in the same room. And it's a riot :D

2 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Nowadays Neighbours is the much better soap, and makes H&A look very inferior. It is everything H&A used to be. H&A is closer to Blue Heelers and Underbelly than H&A.

So True I been noticing that. remember when I said they should add more police to Summer bay. I didnt mean turn it into Mt Thomas! Neighbours have better actors who have a devoted base and that keeping them around.

I still think H and A is more watchable then Neighbores. Technically Neighbors is superior. But I still enjoy H and A more. But I don't think h and a being more like Underbelly, is a reason why it's bad imo. The content is fine. It's the current format. I mean theirs clearly a majority of the audience who loved the Braxtons. And their is prob a majority of the audience who enjoy the Morgans stuff. It may may not be traditional. If your a nostalgic. But it's popular with a large proportion of the audience. I guess it's just one persons individual interpretation end of the day.

15 hours ago, Luke39 said:

I still think H and A is more watchable then Neighbores. Technically Neighbors is superior. But I still enjoy H and A more. But I don't think h and a being more like Underbelly, is a reason why it's bad imo. The content is fine. It's the current format. I mean theirs clearly a majority of the audience who loved the Braxtons. And their is prob a majority of the audience who enjoy the Morgans stuff. It may may not be traditional. If your a nostalgic. But it's popular with a large proportion of the audience. I guess it's just one persons individual interpretation end of the day.

I love to recreate the magic of 80s era Aussie TV. To that end IF new characters were created for the bay here what I suggest.

A family moves to the bay and in a twist has NO issues. The father is a Doctor who wanted to get out of the city and he has 2 girls one 12 and one 16 both who would be at the high school. His wife who  from a previous relationship has a 2 grown sons both who take jobs in the bay. It be nice to have a happy family trying to fit into a new town.

My only issue Im torn between casting whether it be icons or do as many are doing now and bring in unknowns?

I think in the modern television climate they fear introducing characters that don't have some sort of mysterious, dark secret. They feel (quite rightly) that viewers need to be immediately gripped by the new characters. However I find it infinitely more interesting and watchable when these characters are introduced with realistic family issues such as infidelity in the parents (Walkers), and children bored in their new countryside home and missing the city (Walkers and Sutherlands).

Witness Protection, cult or gang involvement as a backstory doesn't do it for me in the slightest. But these themes have come up again and again in recent times.

4 hours ago, cadyctslover said:

I think in the modern television climate they fear introducing characters that don't have some sort of mysterious, dark secret. They feel (quite rightly) that viewers need to be immediately gripped by the new characters. However I find it infinitely more interesting and watchable when these characters are introduced with realistic family issues such as infidelity in the parents (Walkers), and children bored in their new countryside home and missing the city (Walkers and Sutherlands).

Witness Protection, cult or gang involvement as a backstory doesn't do it for me in the slightest. But these themes have come up again and again in recent times.

Yes as a former source in melbounre told me they like to see conflict and many actors enjoy playing the bad role.

Your right I do not see the trend changing it be nice though to have a happy ending and a as you said its realistic bring city kids to live in the bay which I hope never goes out of style.

Archived