2000 Episode Discussion

Guest Dan F

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They really did make a huge effort to delve into the characters pasts in this season - Eve Smith turning up, Ailsa/Shauna and visiting her childhood home, Sally's non-wedding, Les Smart's return, Joel returning to the family home with flashbacks, Edward Snr's video, Harry's mother arriving - and that's just in the space of about 6 weeks! Really did feel like quite a treat.

I guess the plan was to entice back old viewers with Sally's non-wedding then keep them by really establishing/exploring the new cast, with Ailsa's story, Sally's OCD and Don/Judith/June being there so in the meantime they aren't inundated with just the newer characters.

I can understand why Peta dug her heels in and supported Edward but Judith kind of had a point there:A decade or so later(so...now then), Edward's gonna be dead and she's going to be left on her own with no qualifications.On the other hand, I can also see why she'd want to spend whatever time he had left with him.The little bit of Edward telling Judith he'd always wondered if his father would like him was sweet.

Joel's flashback/vision thing was a bit weird and you have to boggle at the way his dad is credited as Joel's Dad even though we'd already been told his name.Still, it was nice to see him and Gypsy back on fairly good terms and her subtle approval of him and Judith.Gypsy and Hayley's chat was a nice moment as well and Gypsy's comments on the couples' future was oddly prophetic.

Rhys' humour continues to get most of the best laughs, with the way he managed to get the teens to do all the jobs he didn't want to do.Shelley starting to take an interest in the Nashes.It's taken Dani about a week to go from "could have been a musical star" to "sings like a dying warthog".The Sutherland twins finishing each other's sentences is another character trait that I don't think lasted long. Jade chattering about Star Wars when we're only a year off her cringing at Julius trying to discuss Lord of the Rings with her felt odd(and the day will come when Nick would chop off his arm to get with her).Kirsty's being a bit of a madam but is still likeable whereas Dani's just been a pain so far.

And would even Leah really think that Vinnie was the best person to talk to Sally?

I know a couple of people have commented on Dani's supposed role in a musical, and the fact that within a couple of weeks we find out she can't sing, but I wonder if maybe we're supposed to believe that Dani faked the potential job offer to deliberately make Shelley feel guilty? Also why is Dani always wearing a dog collar, was this a 2000 fashion I failed to pick up on, or was this a network 7 wardrobe department error? Was there a canine star in another 7 show who was mistakenly wearing a necklace and earings?

Archived