2000 Episode Discussion

Guest Dan F

I always forget about those rather random whip-pan transitions you sometimes got between scenes around this time, often with a bizarre sound effect.

I also think that Nancye Hayes actually played Ailsa quite well really, given the lack of preparation she would have had with it being a last minute emergency replacement - as RR1 says, they could have done a heck of a lot worse.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did they add Edward and Judith on the end in 1999?I don't think those credits have anything like a full overhaul until 2003.The references to Natalie kind of underline that her era is kind of so near, so far, and then there's that empty frame next to Joel in the credits where she used to be, just to rub the salt in...It suddenly occurred to me during Pippa's speech about her that Leah was still very new at that point, might even have been the most recent arrival until the Sutherlands.Yep, these episodes are that old.

Rhys!Shelley!Dani!Kirsty!Jade!Okay, I could have just said "the Sutherlands" but might as well get it all out there.Gosh, Rhys and Shelley look young, whatever did they do to them?Rhys' dry sense of humour already in evidence.(Love his bemused "Thanks for that" when Colleen says she'd lend them her telly if it was working.)Colleen acting like it's open house still...I wondered if that episode was going to remind me of the Fletchers moving in in the pilot but actually it's not that similar, although you've got Alf coming over as the old owner, them meeting the eccentric permanent resident and a nocturnal drama.Dani's characterisation does mostly seem to be Gypsy 2.0 but there's a few similarities with 1988 Carly, especially her complaining about leaving her boyfriend behind.It's interesting to see all the character traits that were quickly dropped:Dani's frizzy hair and quasi-goth style thankfully doesn't last long(resulting in her looking very little like her first shot in the opening titles and her being one of the few people to get it updated), ditto Kirsty's skateboarding and Jade's asthma(I think we get a "You haven't had an attack for a while" in a few weeks).Oddly quaint how they get listed right at the end of the guest cast as 'The Sutherland Family'.

Few things starting to build:Mitch's possessive attitude towards the Drop-In Centre and belief that only he knows how it should be run seems to be behind his questionable decision to give a couple of randoms the run of the place.(Doesn't it feel strange hearing 2000 Alf casually name drop Adam Cameron?Maybe he's been drinking whatever continuity juice was being knocked back in the previous episode, although I suppose his 1999 stint made him a recent memory.)Sally's OCD kicks in remarkably quickly and loved Harry's bemused "This is a female thing?" when Shauna talks about using running water to disguise crying as if it's the most normal thing in the world.More great comic timing from Norman Coburn with Don's pained expression during Martin's speech.

And I know the face is offputting but I do think Nancye Hayes has captured the spirit of Ailsa well.Come on, it's only a few months on from Fake Mitch, they could have done worse.

Ah, yes, Fake Mitch, who managed to turn it from Cameron's cooler older brother personna to a needy, creepy version for a couple of weeks.

Mmm. I'm reading this discussion with interest for all of those characters I recall being mentioned.

Of course I'm Oz based so can't get the replays.

If you see someone lurking in the shadows of this discussion just to hear all those names and remember it will probably be me. :ph34r:

Snap.

I forgot how good a couple Rhys and Shelley were. It's a shame what they did to them.

As for "So tell us again why moving to this dump is going to be the best thing in the world for all of us?"... if only you knew Dani...

The comment from Kirsty about Duncan looking like E.T. still surprises me, wonder what Brendan McKensy thought of that :lol:

She's only saying what we all thought!

Oh I'm not denying that, it's just hearing it on-screen :P

Never noticed a line that came later where she asks Duncan to hand her the hose - "Munchkin, or whatever your name is...."

These episodes are great for those recording them, one ad break and no C5 announcer babbling all over the closing titles. It's almost as though someone from C5 is reading these forums...

When did Sally's OCD first become apparent? Was it only following the non-wedding to Kieron?

Haha I think no one's babbling due to the 4pm timeslot....there will always be more babbling prime time after 6pm:p Even when they showed it at 10am 6 years ago, don't think there was voice crossover with the credits due to the early slot....but yh I hate that guy's voice when the credits run! its too non-presentery

The 10am showings had both the babbling and the dreaded credit squeeze - it's refreshing to have neither this time around (and part of the reason I'm replacing some of the originals on my hard drive), but I'm not expecting it to last :P

Archived