2000 Episode Discussion

Guest Dan F

At the risk of posting in the wrong place..... How good was that seeing all the old faces from so long ago, and er Nancy Hayes who I'd completely blanked from my memory until today it seems. Having said that I do admit to shedding a few tears seeing the old Home and Away I used to love (and hopefully get to love all over again for some time to come). I also realise that at the age of 30 I'm something of a dinosaur now and everything I used to love (Home and Away included) has changed now, and mostly not for the better. But great to see the old eps anyway, long may they continue, and great to have another excuse to come back to back to the bay, if you see what I mean.
I would love to hear what the young whippersnappers who hadn't watched the old episodes before thought about them, although admittedly todays weren't exactly typical episodes from the era I guess, but certainly different from the Home and A-Braxton-Way of today.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I vote for discussing it in here:I seem to remember there was an Early Years thread in here back in the day which got abandoned because of the technicality that they stopped showing them.Besides, if all goes well in a few months we'll be heading into 2001...

Wow.First shock of the day:Given that every subsequent version of that style of opening titles has Irene up the top with the Smiths, felt very strange seeing her randomly shoved in with the other oldies near the end.Obsessive compulsive part of my brain ticking off storylines from the previous two weeks that have been skipped this time round.(Missed Peta setting up Joel and Judith...Missed Will meeting Sandy...Missed everyone finding out Fake Ailsa is Shauna's mum but things are still frosty so they've probably not been to her childhood home yet...)We did get to see Edward's breakdown as others discussed a while back, it's incredible the way he actually seems to be crying when he's making jokes and you're convincing yourself he isn't until you realise he is.Gypsy!God, I was in love with her so much back then, mostly in a paternal sense.(Ditto Peeta:Aleetza Wood, 22 playing 17.Imagine being 21, finding that out and having your head messed up.)I love the way she snaps at Judith and you understand why and that she doesn't know but wish she hadn't...and then she goes round and apologises and you love her all the more.(Whoever was responsible for her 2011 return should watch these episodes on continuous loop.Oh, wait, there he is, playing Mitch.The memory cheats, Cameron.The memory cheats.)Sally and Leah look so young!Donald looks so old after years of seeing his late 80s/early 90s self!Pippa...actually looks surprisingly young as well, if you've got 2009 in your mind.Nick looks like he's about eight.Alf realising Vinnie and Will have both run out on him and Nick's the only person left to help him set up the reception is a great moment.

And a lot of returns.The ending of Donald and Martin's first scene together is one of the funniest moments in the show's history:Norman Coburn has great comic timing.Almost topped by everything featuring Lance and Martin, who always pick up where they left off like best friends do.The last mention of Pippa's daughter to date and cheer as she calls herself Pippa Ross(I really don't remember her ever marrying Ian, could be wrong).Remember watching this for the first time in 2001 and having my mum convinced Pippa had been recast.("Well, technically, Mum, but that was 10 years ago, before we watched it, so you should know this one.")Remember having absolutely no memory of Carly's 1997 appearance and thinking it was the first time I'd seen her, remember having no idea who Martin and Floss were but loving it all the same.And what's happened to Jack's voice?He sounds a lot posher than he did in the 90s.All the references to Sally having children will soon be very poignant.

And not just because of current Aus storylines, which I'm repressing all knowledge of for the next few weeks.

Think I'm going to spend the next few days shouting out the names of characters as they appear.That's what I did last time these episodes were on.Also think I'll come down from this high and start following the storylines properly at some point...

It was so good to see everyone back. I love the way that it's as if Pippa never left and takes over the house. There's something comforting about the old verbal "knock knock" at the Summer Bay House door and Pippa sticking her head out from the kitchen, teatowel in hand as she does when Sally arrives. I also love how Pippa turns to Leah & Shauna and says "aww, Floss" and they don't know who she is so really don't care. She does something similar at Alf's 60th.

Yes, Jack's voice is really jarring as he sounds nothing like he used to. I also find Ailsa's really formal "Hello Shauna" everytime she sees her, even when it's five minutes after the last time she saw her really hilarious, especially as she basically ignores everyone else in the room, other than the "Welcome home Pippa, we've missed you."

@PiercedMusie you're not alone with that I'm sure. 5* happens to be on one of the lowest power multiplexes I think, and during the episode my signal suffered a picture break-up, I've got a feeling my modern digital recordings are gonna be as frustrating as my 2001 Channel 5 ones were (anyone remembering the fuzzy grainy analogue channel 5 picture and the fact that the channel struggled with sending out the PDC signals at the correct moment?).

It was so good to see everyone back. I love the way that it's as if Pippa never left and takes over the house. There's something comforting about the old verbal "knock knock" at the Summer Bay House door and Pippa sticking her head out from the kitchen, teatowel in hand as she does when Sally arrives. I also love how Pippa turns to Leah & Shauna and says "aww, Floss" and they don't know who she is so really don't care. She does something similar at Alf's 60th.

Yes, Jack's voice is really jarring as he sounds nothing like he used to. I also find Ailsa's really formal "Hello Shauna" everytime she sees her, even when it's five minutes after the last time she saw her really hilarious, especially as she basically ignores everyone else in the room, other than the "Welcome home Pippa, we've missed you."

Voices change. It'd be unrealistic to expect Daniel Amalm to sound the same as he did 15-17 at 21.

My signal also played a few tricks... picture broke up for a while.

That aside, I really enjoyed watching these episodes and hope 5 don't take them off for a good while.

I think I may have said this before, but the way Nnacy Hayes says "Hello, Shauna" is like nails on a blackboard. Whilst I appreciate that Nancy Hayes did a good job of playing an iconic character (which was always going to be an uphill struggle), I think it's really unfortunate that one of Ailsa's biggest storylines was played out by a different actor. I always struggled to think of Shauna as Ailsa's daughter once Judy Nunn returned.

Voices change. It'd be unrealistic to expect Daniel Amalm to sound the same as he did 15-17 at 21.

His voice also sounded completely different from 1994 to 1996. Even his accent changed a bit.

I honestly believe that Nancy Hayes as Ailsa was the worst recast I have ever seen on any show. Usually if a recast is permanant then they go for opposites (Hayley & Flynn spring to mind) but they completely changed the character for that short time and it just grated. Especially since it also happened through a big storyline. And as for her 'Hello Shauna'... it was like watching a female version of Hannibal Lector :lol:!

Looks like I will be splashing the cash to finally get the roof ariel fixed because I really want to add these to my collection, although I am more interested in collecting the 2001 episodes. Damn you pigeons and your fat arses breaking the ariel :angry: !

Archived