Most Popular Character

Guest Ryan

I can see your point, but i also loved Indiana's performance when Maddie "broke" ...... i.e. the whole "You're a dobber, and no one like dobbers" thing.

That scene reminds me of the afore-mentioned Gina/Mink scene discussed earlier in this thread. A very nice scene, well written and well acted. But completely tainted and ultimately shallow because there was nothing either before or after it to back it up. If anything, it was only really invented to both justify and bring closure to Matilda's whole breakdown storyline. Like they had planned and started shooting the storyline and only thought further down the track, I guess we better invent a reason for all this.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Roman was very interesting when he first arrived. Unfortunately, when Beven Lee left is character slowly became worse and worse before completely ruining him in his exit.

I once googled Bevan Lee, just to learn something about him because I had no idea of who he was.. And I found an audio interview with him made in 2008. I listened to this, and Bevan Lee said that he was not responsible for Romans character and arrival, which actually is probably a suprise for some. Roman was a bit good old fashioned and solid character in the beginning.

Bevan Lee said in this interview that he wasn't responsible for Adens return as a guestie in 2007 either, but he was responsible for making Aden a regular and he said he created his abuse/background storyline. I think that this went downhill when he left... I suppose that Aden is on the list, because I voted for him as no 2, and I noticed that a few others did too.. Maybe he is in 20-15th place. But for Roman someone else created him. I think they never made their mind up who they really wanted Roman to be.... It was like they intended him to be a solid character in the first place and then discovered that Conrad Coleby had abs and huge arm muscles and should have a more over-the-top role in the show instead, which didn't suit him at all. It's sad though, I actually thought this actor was very good and they should have explored his character instead of doing this Rambo style storylines.

I was pretty much cheering her HIV diagnosis as laser-guided karma.

Wow, that's harsh and kind of offensive... You didn't like her for chosing the jerks and I felt for her because she chose jerks. Such a tragic character, glad they gave her a happy ever after ending.

I was pretty much cheering her HIV diagnosis as laser-guided karma.

That is pretty harsh, it really shouldnt matter about the guys she was with, no one deserves that. Pretty shocked that you actually broadcast that on a site like this where children under 18 do post.

I'm sorry if anyone found the comment offensive, I wasn't passing judgement on everyone with HIV but, whilst this might be politically incorrect to say, she had unprotected sex with a guy who was in a high risk category because she thought she knew best and she paid the price.And if there are any children under 18 reading this, don't follow Cassie's example.You might not get HIV but it probably won't make you happy.

Cassie got my sympathy to start with when she kept falling for apparently decent guys who ended up bringing her nothing but heartache.But when it got to the point where she was deliberately choosing guys she knew were jerks(cheating on Ric and throwing away the best relationship she ever had in the process)and even seemed proud of the fact, or at least accepted that was her type and she was going to embrace it, I just saw her as someone who was happy being treated badly and was never going to change.And she never really did.Even after the HIV, it seemed to be about "poor Cassie" playing the victim and blaming the consequences of her decisions on a guy she was not only happy but pretty desperate to sleep with.I don't think there was a character arc so much as Cassie was pigeonholed as the girl who did that sort of thing and forgot all the lessons she learned from her previous relationship as soon as she became fixated on another guy.She just got worse and worse to the point where she pursued a guy twenty years her senior in an obsessive manner than bordered on sexual harrassment and rape, then on learning he'd raped her de facto foster aunt proceeded to follow him home and move in with him.Now, if the show had been brave enough to portray Cassie as someone who was emotionally disturbed as a result of being abused sexually and physically in the past, who threw herself into unhealthy relationships because she had no idea what a normal relationship should be like, then that could have made her an interesting and sympathetic character.(Indeed, for me they rescued Ruby, who had a lot of similarities with Cassie, when someone sat down at the beginning of 2011 and decided her habit of becoming obsessed with guys and being in a relationship was the result of her compensating for being a basically lonely person.)But instead of doing that, they just kept on portraying her as Saint Cassie, above reproach, and treating her actions like just normal teenage behaviour.So even though Pippa managed to convince her that things weren't going to work with Henk, I'm not entirely convinced she wouldn't have ended up making the same mistakes again and ended up in another unhealthy relationship.It's not like anyone ever mentions her when they talk about Miles and Sally...

On the subject of Roman, I think it was Bevan Lee who created Nicole and turned her, Roman and Aden into a family unit so, while he didn't create Roman, he did probably play a big role in the character's early development.

Roman had only been in the show a matter of weeks before Bevan Lee came on board, if I remember correctly - so as Red Ranger says, he was instrumental in developing Roman as character during his first few months. I liked Roman.

hm, yes... but I remember this interview and he said that he was not responsible for the developement of Roman, maybe he meant his Cliffhanger/Rambo storyline... I really liked Roman too, well I loved Roman as a character (minus the Rambo thing), I loved the family unit with Nicole, Roman, Aden and Morag. It was such a good unit, and they had connection to the rest of Summerbay community on different levels. And that is the reason why three of four of these characters were in my top 5.

I've gone to reply to this about half a dozen times and I've backed off.

Roman is my favourite character. To such an extent I've based a whole series of Fan Fic on him.

I loved the 'Rambo' storyline because I felt that it was within character for him. A glimpse into his past and then the 'hero' Roman that we'd already had glimpses of.

I didn't like the way he got with Martha. Anybody could see they'd just spilt up again and Martha would go back to Jack. A much better fit was Charlie and even they they didn't give it enough of a chance to develop into a better fit.

Followed then by him hooking up with Leah, going blind and the Gardy stuff thereby truly destroying his character before they got rid of him.

Then to add insult to injury after TPTB decided that there was no where for his character to go and got rid of him they brought back Angelo and had him open a restaurant... A restaurant that survived after Roman's didn't... obviously whatever reasons his didn't work were gone by the time they needed something for Angelo to do.

The family unit they created for Roman was quite strange. Whilst I enjoyed the interaction between Roman and Morag, Roman and Aden, and finally Roman and Nicole I always felt that they missed the chance to explore an Aden and Nicole relationship by putting them together and expecting a brother/sister dynamic before we had the drama of Belle and Aden. (cue the million Adelle fans to argue with me).

The exit storyline was pathetic and I would personally like to slap the person who wrote it and then ship them out to Afghanistan for a bit of first hand experience. Yes, even now a few years later I'm still mad about it.

I've gone to reply to this about half a dozen times and I've backed off.

Roman is my favourite character. To such an extent I've based a whole series of Fan Fic on him.

I loved the 'Rambo' storyline because I felt that it was within character for him. A glimpse into his past and then the 'hero' Roman that we'd already had glimpses of.

I didn't like the way he got with Martha. Anybody could see they'd just spilt up again and Martha would go back to Jack. A much better fit was Charlie and even they they didn't give it enough of a chance to develop into a better fit.

Followed then by him hooking up with Leah, going blind and the Gardy stuff thereby truly destroying his character before they got rid of him.

Then to add insult to injury after TPTB decided that there was no where for his character to go and got rid of him they brought back Angelo and had him open a restaurant... A restaurant that survived after Roman's didn't... obviously whatever reasons his didn't work were gone by the time they needed something for Angelo to do.

The family unit they created for Roman was quite strange. Whilst I enjoyed the interaction between Roman and Morag, Roman and Aden, and finally Roman and Nicole I always felt that they missed the chance to explore an Aden and Nicole relationship by putting them together and expecting a brother/sister dynamic before we had the drama of Belle and Aden. (cue the million Adelle fans to argue with me).

The exit storyline was pathetic and I would personally like to slap the person who wrote it and then ship them out to Afghanistan for a bit of first hand experience. Yes, even now a few years later I'm still mad about it.

Roman's exit storyline was the second exit storyline I was really angry about. The first one that brought anger in me was Jesse's in 2005. I want to slap this person who created this storyline too. I didn't like the Rambo/Elliot storyline either, but it was still far better than the Gardy one because it didn't destroy Roman as a character. Never understood the meaning of throwing him into a promising relationship with Leah and then drop it. It was just beginning of a new era in the shows history, where the characters get no real character developement and the relationships aren't given the time to grow and the start of the era with a bunch of mismatched couples.

Archived