Most Popular Character

Guest Ryan

Originally today's update was going to be 3rd-5th, leaving only 1st and 2nd places to reveal tomorrow, but in order to prolong the teasing discussion/debate a bit longer, I've decided to upload just 4th and 5th instead :wink:

:P

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not surprised to see Aden up this high in the voting. As I said at the last "reveal " Aden and Belle in my view are the last real golden couple I invested in. The developent of his character over the years was extremely well written and compelling and that cheeky grin was most engaging. I did feel that once Belle died the writers really didn't know what to do with him. His relationship with Nicole seemed really forced and awkward to me. I think it was one of those times where the writers had built a really strong couple through good long term character development and then were faced with one of the characters ( Jess Tovey ) wanting to move on from the show really making the other character non viable.

I never really warmed to Charlie. She always seemed rather aimless despite the often mentioned "passion for the police force " supposedly in the footsteps of her father. She never seemed comfortable in the policing role. I often wondered how she passed the psychological profiling. She seemed to throw herself at relationships in an explosion of passion only to wonder what she was doing there when the dust settled. That particularly applied to her relationship with Joey and Jack. Her relationship with Brax always seemed very one sided.

Not much to say about today's two updates:Two characters who I wasn't that fond of but who seemed to be popular with some people so I'm not surprised they placed highly.Aden's storyline went out of whack somewhere around the middle of 2008 when it seemed to change from "bad-boy-turns-good" to "bad-boy-stays-bad-but-everyone-likes-him-anyway" and never really recovered, which was a shame since he did show the occasional glimmering of potential.(And he always worked far better with Nicole than with Belle in my opinion, it's a shame that popular opinion, writers' preferences or both meant they were never going to get a look-in while Belle was around.)Charlie was someone who was just there, she was a flawed character from the start, possibly deliberately so, but I didn't really find her objectionable until her last year.I've ranted enough about both of them in other places so I'll try not to do so here.

So, my fifth vote still hasn't turned up.And given the two alternatives are current characters that I really don't like, I'm hoping she claims the top spot.

I'm not surprised to see Aden up this high in the voting. As I said at the last "reveal " Aden and Belle in my view are the last real golden couple I invested in. The developent of his character over the years was extremely well written and compelling and that cheeky grin was most engaging. I did feel that once Belle died the writers really didn't know what to do with him. His relationship with Nicole seemed really forced and awkward to me. I think it was one of those times where the writers had built a really strong couple through good long term character development and then were faced with one of the characters ( Jess Tovey ) wanting to move on from the show really making the other character non viable.

Hmmm yes, but I don't think it's impossible to write storyline about a characters who is still on the show after the other half of a popular couple has left. Especially not with a character like Aden because he was such a strong character on his own. He had a good backstory to build storylines on, there were a lot of unanswered questions and loose ends and they could have explored that instead of totally forgetting about him for a couple of months (he was hardly in it) and then throwing him in a forced relationship with Nicole which destroyed both of them and their beautiful friendship. To be honest if this storyline had been aired in 1995, 2000 or 2002 I think it would have been done quite differently. He would have had more connection with Geoff, Annie and especially Irene after Belles death. Justin would have been brought into the show earlier, he would have made peace with his father before he died and we would certainly not have seen two guys carrying around their dead fathers body and burying him in the woods. We would probably had seen Larrys funeral and also probably heard more about what happened to the third brother.

I was just discussing who I would have voted for, had I remembered!

1. Fisher

2. Bobby

3. Ailsa

4. Marilyn

5. Lance

Interesting, that would have seen Fisher in joint 8th place with Irene, Bobby one point ahead of Ailsa, Marilyn underneath Irene/Fisher and knocking Belle out of the top 10, and Lance would have been the only character to score 7 points. :wink:

Thank God Dex finished higher than Brax. And by a whole 8 points.

Sally has more points than two years ago which either means 7two repeats have helped her (I doubt it) or the current bunch of characters (excluding Dex) are so dire it's not hard to look at Sally's 'era' fondly.

I'm really glad I voted. (First time ever)

My final choice won!! ^_^:P

Can I also say(now posting in the right place! :P ) what a complete joy this Poll has been once again!! I hadn't realised it was time for one again and was so pleased to see it was. To all Staff involved and in particular,Ryan - who I believe writes the brilliant synopsis for each character - thankyou and I can't help looking forward to the next one!! :D

I was just discussing who I would have voted for, had I remembered!

1. Fisher

2. Bobby

3. Ailsa

4. Marilyn

5. Lance

Interesting, that would have seen Fisher in joint 8th place with Irene, Bobby one point ahead of Ailsa, Marilyn underneath Irene/Fisher and knocking Belle out of the top 10, and Lance would have been the only character to score 7 points. :wink:

I wish I had remembered! How many points does each character get per ranking?

Archived