Most Popular Character

Guest Ryan

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unpopular opinion alert!!!!

Its not that I don't think Sally is great. And Kate Ritchie is just such a great actress and so watchable.

However it was around the early 00s that I found myself not enjoying the character as much. Firstly I thought making her a teacher at summer bay high was extremely unimaginative, considering they did the same with Steven. Also, there was no hint of her ever wanting to be a teacher. First her love was accountancy and then archyolgoy (excuse spelling) but the teaching came out of no where. I feel Fisher's doubts were actually spot on.

Then by the mid oos, although I loved that Sally was now at the for front of the show, giving her a full time job as head mistress while her husband had a job just as full on, raising a new born baby, then child, full time foster parent to 2 teenagers AND running a business, the some times forgotten caravan park, for some one only in there mid 20s was contrived, silly and down right unbelievable. One minute I followed her life up to a 21 year old women, the next it was if she was in her mid 30s and turned into Pippa on speed.

Just look at Pippa giving up her nursing and the struggles they had and how had it was over the years to run it, and she was a part time .And the 1991 season currently showing the troubles Bobby is having to foster Sam. As in having to take time off in the the diner, and being investigated.

The unbelievably factor of it all just put me off thats all.

I tend to agree with you, though more on the side of the fostering. That was one element of the character and Summer Bay House I found hard to believe in. It felt like Sally and Flynn were more older sister/brother/housemates to Cassie, Ric etc. similarly to how Rebecca and Travis were, rather than 'mum and dad'. I don't think it was written well enough - or should I say, I would have preferred it if what we were seeing on screen, was acknowledged on screen instead of trying to convince us that there was a closer connection by telling us at random times (like when Flynn died and Ric called him dad') - it sort of made me cringe.

John Palmer scored 12 points and popped up in 44th position ^_^^_^^_^

Thanks for the countdown, I've really enjoyed this!! Quite happy that Sally was in 1st place and Dex poppoing up in second, although I never though that Brax would beat the likes of Alf, Aden and Charlie!?!

Apart from Jett, was Harvey the only regular not to feature in the Top 100?

:wink:

I tend to agree with you, though more on the side of the fostering. That was one element of the character and Summer Bay House I found hard to believe in. It felt like Sally and Flynn were more older sister/brother/housemates to Cassie, Ric etc. similarly to how Rebecca and Travis were, rather than 'mum and dad'. I don't think it was written well enough - or should I say, I would have preferred it if what we were seeing on screen, was acknowledged on screen instead of trying to convince us that there was a closer connection by telling us at random times (like when Flynn died and Ric called him dad') - it sort of made me cringe.

I remember when Ric was hurt by Jonny or something and Sally ran out of a car screaming "MY SON!".It was so forced.

Aside from the even-more-new Natalie, yes.

Re:Sally...I didn't have that much of a problem with making her a teacher, although it was a bit out of the blue:She seemed to flip flop back and forth over whether she wanted to stay in Summer Bay or see the world over the years.I think making her acting head in 2003, when she was only a few years out of school and had been teaching for barely two years, was pretty absurd and they then compounded it by making her permanent deputy head a few months later.I think making her head in 2007 was the right decision because by then she'd spent an age in a senior position(comparitively speaking)and been constantly overlooked.The fostering angle...I think it was inevitable Sally would become a foster parent one day after growing up in that environment.I think it possibly worked better with Cassie because she was a bit younger and while it wasn't quite a mother/daughter relationship Sally was pretty maternal towards her(if that makes sense).With Ric, I think Sally was clearly in a guardian role and they did feel likie a family but it was a bit more ill-defined.I don't think it's comparable to Pippa or Bobby giving up work to look after young children, a couple of teenagers were capable of looking after themselves to a certain extent and didn't need constant supervision.Little Pippa was more of an issue but the show's never really known how to handle very young children:Witness the way Alf and Ailsa were both running businesses full-time in the early days and no-one seemed to have thought about where the heck Duncan was.

Aside from the even-more-new Natalie, yes.

Re:Sally...I didn't have that much of a problem with making her a teacher, although it was a bit out of the blue:She seemed to flip flop back and forth over whether she wanted to stay in Summer Bay or see the world over the years.I think making her acting head in 2003, when she was only a few years out of school and had been teaching for barely two years, was pretty absurd and they then compounded it by making her permanent deputy head a few months later.I think making her head in 2007 was the right decision because by then she'd spent an age in a senior position(comparitively speaking)and been constantly overlooked.The fostering angle...I think it was inevitable Sally would become a foster parent one day after growing up in that environment.I think it possibly worked better with Cassie because she was a bit younger and while it wasn't quite a mother/daughter relationship Sally was pretty maternal towards her(if that makes sense).With Ric, I think Sally was clearly in a guardian role and they did feel likie a family but it was a bit more ill-defined.I don't think it's comparable to Pippa or Bobby giving up work to look after young children, a couple of teenagers were capable of looking after themselves to a certain extent and didn't need constant supervision.Little Pippa was more of an issue but the show's never really known how to handle very young children:Witness the way Alf and Ailsa were both running businesses full-time in the early days and no-one seemed to have thought about where the heck Duncan was.

True about Duncan, and the same with little Christopher. But there was more of talk with Duncan regarding baby sitters.

Archived