The Beach House

Guest Perry

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NINETEEN

PAUL & APRIL’S STORY

Paul breathed fast and heavily. He walked up to the sink in the school toilet and punched the bench top with force cracking the laminate, he washed his faced and tried forcibly to slow his breathing down.

“Come on Paul calm yourself down.” He whispered quietly to himself before looking at his own reflection. He could see himself calming himself before looking down to see his knuckles bleed. He washed them in the sink.

When the red water turning down the drain changed to clear he dried his hands with a paper towel and walked out of the toilets and into corridor.

Xavier Austin was walking around looking a little out of sorts. Holding a clipboard and a pen in his hand he spotted Paul and smiled before walking eagerly towards him.

“Hey, you’ve started school here?” Xavier politely greeted him.

“Uh, yeah!” Paul responded a little unsure about the boy’s friendliness.

“What grade you in?”

“I’m s’pose to be in year ‘leven but that joke of a Principal’s making me repeat year ten.” Paul responded trying to sound cool.

“She’s my mum.” Xavier pointed out but not defensively. “But that sucks man.” Xavier clicked his pen and started moving it through his fingers nervously. “So you are living with April now?”

“Yeah I’m Irene’s son. I’m Paul.”

“Oh ok. I’m Xavier.” Xavier had questions about the younger boy’s affirmation but decided against voicing them. “Well I wanted to say sorry about yesterday, I think we got off on the wrong foot. I shouldn’t have grabbed April like that. It’s just she broke up with me recently.”

Paul shrugged it off.

“Well anyway I need to get some guys to sign up for touch footy.” Xavier began walking off.

“Wait, rugby league?”

“Is there any other kind of footy?” Xavier lauged.

“When’s it?”

“Um training is on Tuesday and Friday arvo’s and games are on Thursday’s.”

“Sign me up.” Paul said eagerly.

“Um…” Xavier hesitated. “…It’s an under eighteen’s team. You might be too young.”

“Well I thought sixteen was under eighteen.” Paul choked. “But it’s your loss man.”

Xavier clicked the pen again and was thinking about putting the boys name on the list but shook his head instead. “Maybe next year.” Xavier walked away.

Paul began heading back towards Gina’s office.

“Paul!”

Paul turned around to see April heading towards the girls toilet and headed back over there.

“How did it go?” April asked smiling.

“Well I’m a student here...” Paul answered. “…But I’ve got to do year ten again ‘cos of all the schooling I’ve missed this year.”

“Oh.” April responded rather surprised. “…I don’t know how I feel about that.”

Bianca, walking from Gina’s office spotted her sister and Paul and began heading towards them.

“Well it shouldn’t worry you.” Paul told April. “It’s not like you have to do year ten again.”

“Yeah but if I’m dating a guy from year ten, I might be labelled as a cougar.”

Xavier headed back down the corridor and saw Paul with April.

“What?” Paul smiled as he took in what April had said.

April leaned in and the two teenagers kissed, rather passionately.

Bianca noticed and looked at the two disapprovingly.

Xavier, in true Xavier-fashion punched a locker and stormed off.

April and Paul heard the noise from Xavier and separated from each others embrace, they turned to see Bianca’s gloomy eyes on them.

Archived