Summer Bay High (by Skykat) - comments

bay girl

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you... that was worth waiting for. I have added it to my list of regular reads... so be prepared to be nagged!

I liked the juxtaposition of the different scenes and locations, with the different characters facing different crises/dramas... it was very effective. The flashback scenes were also very good and helped to illustrate where the characters are today. I am looking forward to the next installment.

Thank you for letting me know. I did enjoy it, for as you know fics which include my favourite characters are as rare as hens teeth, and you have captured them very well. I enjoyed reading about the other characters as well. I am passing the word out to the other bareenfans. There was another fic which included them a while ago but that seems to have disappeared, so you will have a very keen and appreciative audience. I like the idea of hearing about Irene as a child, and also how you captured Barry's essential shyness but his comfortableness and safeness with Irene which is something that we bareens all saw from day one. I am feeling very sorry for poor gypsy at the moment as well, and I do like the chapter titles.

I am passing the word out to the other bareenfans. There was another fic which included them a while ago but that seems to have disappeared, so you will have a very keen and appreciative audience. I like the idea of hearing about Irene as a child, and also how you captured Barry's essential shyness but his comfortableness and safeness with Irene which is something that we bareens all saw from day one. I am feeling very sorry for poor gypsy at the moment as well, and I do like the chapter titles.

The word has gone out! You write extremely well, and I will be keeping up with this fiction. I like how you have captured Gypsy who was always one of my favourite characters. And of couples you have included one of my favourite couples, so what could be better. I look forward to seeing where you take them.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry ILM for not reviewing. I've just been in Sydney with my out of date relatives with no internet the last couple of months. But geez! 3 chapters...what a great way to return!! It took a lot of trouble going back through the thread and hoping not to catch a glimpse of something I didn't want to be spoiled about.

You know ILM, you just write so immaculately. It just flows so naturally and your description is fantastic. But the best thing and the most addictive thing about your writing (and in my opinion, any piece of writing) is your characterisation. You do it so wonderfully that even a minor character like Joe Briscoe feels real without effort. In one line you were able to just capture the fact that he was a real person. Someone who can connect with this Martha because he himself has a family, and his own life. Kudos to you.

Megan also really brings something special to your whole story. I know you're building it up and I can't wait to see it unfold. This was a lovely description.

The ornamental pond that had once attracted visitors to the now defunct restaurant with its laser beam dancing water show was dried out except for the rainwater still dripping down from rusty pipes. The peaceful rhythmic dripping suddenly called an old tune to her mind. Something about moon and stars and guardians of sleepers. Most of the words had long since been lost in translation over eons of time, her grandmother had said, and few that made any sense remained in living memory.

Geez, Hayley can be such a bitch.

And I don’t need jerks in my life, Crazy Cassie. Unlike you, I have real friends. Who the hell wants to hang out with you? Even your precious Martha’s deserted you now. Can’t say I blame her.”She's so deluded with the fact that she thinks she has real friends. But I like the way you write her so that the reader can see how sad it is. That the whole character of Hayley is tragic really, who does believe that she is right. THey're the people who are scary...who don't realise. Kind of like a monster that society created...

I thought the focus on Barry was very emotionally powerful. The poor man.

Again he sealed his lips over the tiny mouth and nose. All to no avail. He heard an unearthly, wolf-like howl and realised it came from himself.

“I was thinking of my wife. Kerry. Irene, I...I..I...”

And Barry Hyde, temporary principal of Summer Bay High while its regular principal Don Fisher was on a six month visit to New York to see relatives, and who could strike fear into the toughest student’s heart at five paces, broke down and wept like a child. I guess we do all know the story but it was such a tragically sad one. I like how you have focused on such a different array of characters, not just the teens.

And that Martha/Kane scene was very intense...and really funny. Genius with the Barbie girl ringtone. LOL.

I loved the Noah/Kit scenes, they are gorgeous. I also like the friendship they've developed with Gypsy and Jack. Poor Gypsy!!

You were right about the fic being hard to keep up with ILM. You've written so much about so many different people!! But I love it. Keep it coming!

You know ILM, you just write so immaculately. It just flows so naturally and your description is fantastic. But the best thing and the most addictive thing about your writing (and in my opinion, any piece of writing) is your characterisation. Y

Again he sealed his lips over the tiny mouth and nose. All to no avail. He heard an unearthly, wolf-like howl and realised it came from himself.

And Barry Hyde, temporary principal of Summer Bay High while its regular principal Don Fisher was on a six month visit to New York to see relatives, and who could strike fear into the toughest student’s heart at five paces, broke down and wept like a child. I guess we do all know the story but it was such a tragically sad one. I like how you have focused on such a different array of characters, not just the teens.

The previous reviewer hit the nail on the head as they say. Nothing I can say will add to this.

Your writing is exceptional, and your characterisation is exquisite. I do hope it isn't to long before we get to enjoy another chapter.

You know ILM, you just write so immaculately. It just flows so naturally and your description is fantastic. But the best thing and the most addictive thing about your writing (and in my opinion, any piece of writing) is your characterisation. Y

The previous reviewer hit the nail on the head as they say. Nothing I can say will add to this.

Your writing is exceptional, and your characterisation is exquisite. I do hope it isn't to long before we get to enjoy another chapter.

I'm sorry i've only just read this story, and can't say anymore than Maggie has said!