Summer Bay High (by Skykat) - comments

bay girl

Thank you for the latest chapter, which I have to say, brought quite a few tears to my eyes. I thought your chacterisation of 11 year old wild Irene was perfect, as I could relate the current Irene to the past Irene. It was very skillful and powerful, and I particularly liked how you used the stars as comfort for both of them. I felt Barry's pain, and Irene's. which is as it shoud be with this sort of piece. It was lovely. Thank you.

I shall certainly keep reading , regardless of which characters you are focusing on, as I think your writing is exceptional. But I hope you won't keep the Irene and Barry fans waiting too long before they reappear, as I believe that you are the only person currently writing about them.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the latest chapter, which I have to say, brought quite a few tears to my eyes. I thought your chacterisation of 11 year old wild Irene was perfect, as I could relate the current Irene to the past Irene. It was very skillful and powerful, and I particularly liked how you used the stars as comfort for both of them. I felt Barry's pain, and Irene's. which is as it shoud be with this sort of piece. It was lovely. Thank you.

I shall certainly keep reading , regardless of which characters you are focusing on, as I think your writing is exceptional. But I hope you won't keep the Irene and Barry fans waiting too long before they reappear, as I believe that you are the only person currently writing about them.

Thanks, I don't think anybody else liked it. No more reviews either here or on fanfic.net. :(

ETA: Ah, well, not to worry, I'm going to watch High School Musical 2 now. :)

Edited by I love music

Thanks, I don't think anybody else liked it. No more reviews either here or on fanfic.net. :(

Well I liked it very much indeed, and you must remember that the forum has been down for several days now. Whilst tastes differ, and I know that people who like Jack and Martha might not like to read about Irene and Barry, I have always thought that this should not blind them to good writing, and you should also look to see how many people are reading your chapters, not how many are reviewing it. If lots of people are reading it, and I think that they are, then that is the main thing. Sometimes people don't always know what to say, particularly when its a piece of writing which is outside of their usual experience. That does not mean they don't like it. So please don't let the lack of comments put you off.

I too was very moved by this. I liked the way you got inside of the the young Irene's head, and how we could see what life must have been like for her as a child. It fitted in so well with what we know of Irene, and of her battling spirit. She looks out for kids today just like she looked out for her brothers and sisters and that made so much sense. The way on which her story intertwined with Barry's was very effective and like Maggie I thought the stars analogy was particularly effective. This was very mature writing , and I enjoyed reading it. It was one of the best things that I have read on BTTB in a long time.

I always read your fic, but have not commented before. I like your writing ILM, Its very good. I liked this chapter as it was different. I liked the urchin Irene and the little Benji with the wee running down his leg, it was very sad, and very real. There are lots of kids in the world like that. You described their hurt really well so we felt it, and it made me and my Mum cry.

Well I liked it very much indeed, and you must remember that the forum has been down for several days now. Whilst tastes differ, and I know that people who like Jack and Martha might not like to read about Irene and Barry, I have always thought that this should not blind them to good writing, and you should also look to see how many people are reading your chapters, not how many are reviewing it. If lots of people are reading it, and I think that they are, then that is the main thing. Sometimes people don't always know what to say, particularly when its a piece of writing which is outside of their usual experience. That does not mean they don't like it. So please don't let the lack of comments put you off.

I too was very moved by this. I liked the way you got inside of the the young Irene's head, and how we could see what life must have been like for her as a child. It fitted in so well with what we know of Irene, and of her battling spirit. She looks out for kids today just like she looked out for her brothers and sisters and that made so much sense. The way on which her story intertwined with Barry's was very effective and like Maggie I thought the stars analogy was particularly effective. This was very mature writing , and I enjoyed reading it. It was one of the best things that I have read on BTTB in a long time.

I agree with Bareenfan about the forum being down and also the popularity of J&M in contrast to a mature couple such as Bareen. Also don't forget that the Easter long weekend has just ended so people have probably been very busy.

This was such a powerful chapter and I agree with what has already been said - about its reality and just how well it fits in with Irene's charactisation. I could really imagine that being the eleven year old Irene. Also agree about the image of Benji peeing himself. You've linked Irene's immediate family so well with her own family and it really was sad that her wish of having a stable family was never fulfilled. I also loved that connection built between the siblings despite all their different fathers. It really was them against the world. The ending was tragic though, it really was :(

I really don't know where to start with pulling out excerps like I usually do because there are so many beautiful ones. So I'll just say that my favourite was definitely the last paragraph about the starts and the loneliness she felt. And your last line was just brilliant. It was so simple yet so beautiful. I really am in awe of your writing! Don't feel disheartened by the lack of reviews. Maybe people feel intimidated by its maturity and feel the review needs that as well. Just like Bareenfan said, concentrate on how many people have read it rather than have reviewed it.

ETA: Ah, well, not to worry, I'm going to watch High School Musical 2 now. :)

I've only just read this chapter and it was really wonderful. I wouldn't call myself a big Bareen fan (I mean I did love them together and wish things could have turned out better, but I'm not completely in love with them as I am with say Will/Gypsy or Leah Vinnie, K/K...) but that chapter was so beautifully written and I can really relate the younger Irene to the present one. All in all it was a great chapter and I look forward to reading more :) .

• 2 weeks later...

Well, for anyone who's waiting for the next update :unsure: I had hoped to have it ready (apart from editing) by this weekend but I'm still working on it. I was writing Kane/Martha and then moving to Gypsy scenes but I think it's best if this is just a Gypsy chapter and I move Kane/Martha forward to the chapter after next. I'm trying to leave myself some free time this weekend so I'll try and get some more work done. With any luck I should have it completed within the week :) - and you never know, I might even surprised myself and have it ready sooner. :rolleyes:

What a completely harrowing but beautifully written chapter ILM. I think you have every right to change your characters' histories because you do it so well. The fact that it was a Gypsy centred chapter was just a bonus! But geez, it's sickening and scary that people like that do exist. And you were probably right that they were mentally unstable. Which makes it all the more sad :(

Thank you for a great distraction from my politics essay ILM, I will give you more flattering and specific comments when I have the chance :)

That was amazing, you know how to tear the guts out of your readers, and it was really well done . I liked how you drew the parallel with Irene and Gypsy staying there as well. Human beings can be absolute bastards some times. That was a shock ending and it really affected me because it was totally unexpected.

I loved it :D , after waiting so long to read more about Gypsy to get a whole chapter on her was brilliant. Wonderful, engaging writing as usual. I didn't even mind that you changed her back ground because you did it so briliiantly and made the character even more interesting. Hope to read more soon, thank you for that wonderful chapter :) .