1989 Episode Discussion

Guest Dan F

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems Carly can't seem to make up her mind, whether she loves sex, or hates it. She's not afraid of having sex with Andrew Foley, but seems cold and frigid with her other boyfriends.

She was pretty direct about the whole sex issue wasn't she? She seemed very determined to go to the motel, I completely understand why Andrew might be a bit hesitant to take that step. Obviously you can see Carly's POV that if he loves her he should be ready, and if morals aren't the issue, then what is?

BTW, I'm loving Nigel, great character, very, very sound actor too.

Iloved episodes 284 and 285. Both extremely well-written.

I get the impression that H&A's best periods are when Bevan Lee is at the helm or involved in some way. He came up with the Aden abuse/Cassie HIV stories, as well as Milco and Sally's exit. I have a feeling he probably came up with the brilliance that is Nigel too.

I love Nigel and Morag's relationship, it's really heart-warming, and the dialogue when Morag broke down was brilliant, and gave us more of an insight into why she's such a dark, twisted character.

The stuff with Bobby, Rebecca and Donald on the beach was also first class. The reason the episodes were so much better in those days was because all of the actors are brilliant as opposed to some of today's, the stories came from character and most importantly, there was a HUGE sense of community spirit and every character had a purpose. Today we just get

Bianca's engagement party whee she basically invited characters she's only spoken to about once during her entire time on the show.

I also feel that Bevan Lee was part of the show's downfall too, as in his interview with SBJ he said that he felt the show would be boring if it stuck to its original concept of being centred around families, when asked about the huge transformation in the show since 2005.

Donald has really annoyed me with his treatment of Rebecca lately. He wanted to practically lock her up and not let her live her life. I only started to feel sorry for him when Rebecca read that paragraph from Alan's book.

Iloved episodes 284 and 285. Both extremely well-written.

I get the impression that H&A's best periods are when Bevan Lee is at the helm or involved in some way. He came up with the Aden abuse/Cassie HIV stories, as well as Milco and Sally's exit. I have a feeling he probably came up with the brilliance that is Nigel too.

I love Nigel and Morag's relationship, it's really heart-warming, and the dialogue when Morag broke down was brilliant, and gave us more of an insight into why she's such a dark, twisted character.

The stuff with Bobby, Rebecca and Donald on the beach was also first class. The reason the episodes were so much better in those days was because all of the actors are brilliant as opposed to some of today's, the stories came from character and most importantly, there was a HUGE sense of community spirit and every character had a purpose. Today we just get

Bianca's engagement party whee she basically invited characters she's only spoken to about once during her entire time on the show.

I also feel that Bevan Lee was part of the show's downfall too, as in his interview with SBJ he said that he felt the show would be boring if it stuck to its original concept of being centred around families, when asked about the huge transformation in the show since 2005.

Donald has really annoyed me with his treatment of Rebecca lately. He wanted to practically lock her up and not let her live her life. I only started to feel sorry for him when Rebecca read that paragraph from Alan's book.

The end of Episode 284 was Fantasticly written. Oh and just to echo that now that Dodge has entered the picture

It must be just over a week to go til the shop burns with Philip inside.

285, another poignantly written episode. Brilliant Morag/Nigel scenes.

What I love about the last few episodes is that they have been just so so centered around how the characters are feeling. The whole Rebecca plot was nicely played and written and I'd find it hard to imagine the current show focusing as much on her grief over loosing Alan, sure they might throw in a scene but not use a very character focused storyline back in 1988 to create yet another focused storyline in 89 between her and Fisher. Really enjoyed the parts Bobby and Stephen played in the storyline too and then of course Morag watching the three of them on the beach leading to her self analysis - perfect.

Also Celia and Nigel's relationship is really cleverly written, I have enjoyed how wise yet open minded he is and it acts on highlighting to both Stewart sisters their downfalls and outlooks on life without being nasty or judgmental.

Now we step into another era with Dodge's arrival...

Overall the show really does have a subtle difference in tone compared to 1988.

.........Oh and just to echo that now that Dodge has entered the picture

It must be just over a week to go til the shop burns with Philip inside.

Good riddance.

By the way, has anyone else but me noticed an episode number coincidence?

In Episode 287 of Home And Away, Dodge makes his first appearance.

In Episode 287 of Prisoner, The Freak (Joan Ferguson) makes her first appearance.

Archived