1989 Episode Discussion

Guest Dan F

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems Carly can't seem to make up her mind, whether she loves sex, or hates it. She's not afraid of having sex with Andrew Foley, but seems cold and frigid with her other boyfriends.

She was pretty direct about the whole sex issue wasn't she? She seemed very determined to go to the motel, I completely understand why Andrew might be a bit hesitant to take that step. Obviously you can see Carly's POV that if he loves her he should be ready, and if morals aren't the issue, then what is?

BTW, I'm loving Nigel, great character, very, very sound actor too.

Fornication is a sin.

It seems Carly can't seem to make up her mind, whether she loves sex, or hates it. She's not afraid of having sex with Andrew Foley, but seems cold and frigid with her other boyfriends.

She was pretty direct about the whole sex issue wasn't she? She seemed very determined to go to the motel, I completely understand why Andrew might be a bit hesitant to take that step. Obviously you can see Carly's POV that if he loves her he should be ready, and if morals aren't the issue, then what is?

BTW, I'm loving Nigel, great character, very, very sound actor too.

Fornication is a sin.

Yes, and....?

Iloved episodes 284 and 285. Both extremely well-written.

I get the impression that H&A's best periods are when Bevan Lee is at the helm or involved in some way. He came up with the Aden abuse/Cassie HIV stories, as well as Milco and Sally's exit. I have a feeling he probably came up with the brilliance that is Nigel too.

I love Nigel and Morag's relationship, it's really heart-warming, and the dialogue when Morag broke down was brilliant, and gave us more of an insight into why she's such a dark, twisted character.

The stuff with Bobby, Rebecca and Donald on the beach was also first class. The reason the episodes were so much better in those days was because all of the actors are brilliant as opposed to some of today's, the stories came from character and most importantly, there was a HUGE sense of community spirit and every character had a purpose. Today we just get

Bianca's engagement party whee she basically invited characters she's only spoken to about once during her entire time on the show.

I also feel that Bevan Lee was part of the show's downfall too, as in his interview with SBJ he said that he felt the show would be boring if it stuck to its original concept of being centred around families, when asked about the huge transformation in the show since 2005.

Donald has really annoyed me with his treatment of Rebecca lately. He wanted to practically lock her up and not let her live her life. I only started to feel sorry for him when Rebecca read that paragraph from Alan's book.

I agree with the bolded part especially.Back in those days they hired properly trained actors and not models turned actors who are there just to look pretty.The writing was much better too and character driven.The producers of the show should take a good look at these old episodes.That was the greatest era of H&A between the late 80's and mid 90's.I don't know why Bevan Lee wanted to change something that worked so well.Now the show is mostly about random people living in a small coastal town.The show has lost it's original meaning being about foster parenting.

Morag is such a bitch. So what, t's Bobby's fault that Donald and Morag slept together? Conversley, however, I think that she's somehwat jealous of how close Donald and Bobby are becoming.

I agree with you.I was watching and thinking Bobby didn't choose to be born.Morag was the one who seduced Donald lol.Maybe Morag is jealous and won't admit to it.

Watching the Early Years has made me realise how much I miss Ailsa, and while we've got a great current cast I still think it's missing Ailsa because she was such a prim and proper lady. I know we've got a lot of 40+ women on the show now, which is good, but none of them seem to have the prim and properness that Ailsa had.

But no one has ever come across as a prim and proper woman like Ailsa. The closest female to have done so would have probably been Beth Hunter.

But perhaps it was Judy Nunn's amazing way of playing Ailsa that made her so prim and proper.

I agree with you.I was watching and thinking Bobby didn't choose to be born.Morag was the one who seduced Donald lol.Maybe Morag is jealous and won't admit to it.

Morag's story is so heartbreaking. She never wanted to give the baby up in the first place :( Richard demanded that she have an abortion which she couldn't go through with so she had the baby in secret and gave it away. Then he never touched her again in 20 years despite her being deeply in love with him :( And everybody thinks she gave the baby away for her career.

No wonder it hurts for her to even be in the same room as Bobby. You're right it's not Bobby's fault she was born and Morag's hatred of her is still not completely rational. But Bobby was told to leave well alone when she was hunting for her real mother and she wouldn't, so Morag sees that as the cause of her losing her marraige and career and can't forgive Bobby for that.

Regarding Bevan Lee, every time he has written for the show right up until 2008, he has made it very character focussed and a lot like these 1989 episodes we are enjoying so much. The comment he made about the show moving away from that, he was just trying to defend the decisions of the current script writer at the time. He's not going to say "Yeah the show's rubbish now because it's not written the way I like it."

WELCOME DODGE! :cool:

I think if you want to get technical about eras and mini-eras of Summer Bay, I feel as though the first is well and truly ending around now. Whether this is the end of it's second era, and that there was a first Fletcher orientated era perhaps up to Roo's weddong, is maybe a point for debate, but with the arrival of Dodge, I feel it's the start of those arriving from outside the show and Alexx says that show does have a different feel to it. Not a wholly different feel, but it's certainly grown in many ways.

......Regarding Bevan Lee, every time he has written for the show right up until 2008, he has made it very character focussed and a lot like these 1989 episodes we are enjoying so much. The comment he made about the show moving away from that, he was just trying to defend the decisions of the current script writer at the time. He's not going to say "Yeah the show's rubbish now because it's not written the way I like it."

I have always wondered who was the mastermind or masterminds behind the great Dodge storyline.

Was it Bevan Lee who wrote about Dodge's character and background? And was there research done in preparing Dodge's story (like research on things like juvenile delinquency), and why and from what angle was it written?

Archived