Pippa Fletcher/Ross - Vanessa Downing & Debra Lawrance

I have heard members of the public when I tell them I like the early years of Home and Away say that they found the 2nd Pippa 'over the top'. I don't see that. I love Vanessa's version of Pippa better than Debra's 1990-1993 version but by 1995 I really think Debra's version had actually surpassed Vanessa's version. Her presence just felt comforting to the show, does that make sense?

I think the transition of the Pippa character is one of the most interesting things in television, as it's just not clear-cut. I do think Debra taking over from Vanessa immediately led to a lengthy transition period until the 2nd Pippa became accepted, something which took years, and something we are seeing now with the character of Michelle Fowler on EastEnders (though there was a 20 year gap there).

Has anyone else heard the myth that Pippa had been played by loads of people? I've often told people I know there were only 2 Pippas but I think some people think there were 3 for some reason :lol: (I know technically there were 3, but only 2 screen-wise).

Edited by Skylover

I agree that Vanessa & Debra's Pippas are almost two different people. Debra could be very harsh at times, but she felt very real too, she did make mistakes with the kids. I think she has been helped by her returns where we only saw her best sides, but Vanessa's Pippa did also have the harsh sides, but I think she was a bit quicker to apologise.

3 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Carol Wilessee played Pippa in the pilot but the original scenes were re-recorded with Ness playing Pippa as Carol had quit. Also Jackie Woodburne aka Susan Kennedy applied twice for the role but never got it.

Looks like Jackie made a good career choice and unlike other actors seems content and happy at her situation.

Gets you thinking doesn't it? Debra's Pippa with Tom and Vanessa's with Michael. Both Pippa's were significantly different to one another. Tom was quite a strong willed man and could be quite fiery as could Debra's Pippa so I am sure they both would have ruled the roost together if Tom had stayed for a while longer. They would not take any crap off people.

6 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Gets you thinking doesn't it? Debra's Pippa with Tom and Vanessa's with Michael. Both Pippa's were significantly different to one another. Tom was quite a strong willed man and could be quite fiery as could Debra's Pippa so I am sure they both would have ruled the roost together if Tom had stayed for a while longer. They would not take any crap off people.

I don't think they were that different, Debra just seems like an older version to me. I don't get where this 'Debra's Pippa could be harsh' stuff comes from. Mind you, she did really let rip at Jack when he left the oven on that time :D 

I always found Debra's Pippa to be colder. I'm not sure why... Debra's Pippa is the first Pippa I remember - so she should be the one I'm fondest of - but after seeing Vanessa's Pippa I feel like she nailed the part: she was warm and loving but could be tough when she needed to be. Especially in 1989 and 1990 I feel she got more material with which to develop.

• Like 2