Pippa Fletcher/Ross - Vanessa Downing & Debra Lawrance

On 11/01/2019 at 19:36, j.laur5 said:

I wish Debra Lawrence had played Pippa from the beginning since Debra would likely have not quit in 1990 and stayed till 1998.  That way we would just have had one actress as Pippa. 

I still like Vanessa Downing better but if Debra was not going to quit in 1990 I think I would preferred Debra to had be cast in 1988. . 

I think had DepPip played from the beginning I would have a different opinion, but Van Pip already gave a foundation for the character and although the character stayed somewhat true, the acting was very very different and it showed.

Has it been confirmed that VanPip left because Roger left?

I think Debra’s Pippa was definitely more Mumsy, but then that could be seen as the character’s development, Pippa had become a mother to her own child and then lost her husband, that’s quite a lot to go through physically & emotionally. Personally, if I were a foster children who had never had that safe, loving environment like Fin & Damien, I’d want Debra’s Pippa, but if I were someone who’d had loving parents who’d died like Steven or Sally coming into that environment, I’d want Vanessa’s Pippa, as you’d be less receptive towards a new mother.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

It’s a shame that Vanessa  doesn’t get the credit she deserves for bringing Pippa fletcher to life

When ever i see photo or video of Vanessa i always feel Pippa has more chemistry and class. 

While Debra might made more of simple motherly hen  character   but however i think Vanessa did  give Pippa more depth and  made Pippa more dimensional character then Debra.

While Debra seemed better in dramatic screens  but however i think Vanessa was better at giving Pippa more personality and characteristic. 

I always love how in 80s  Pippa was never scared to tell other adult characters to shut up like Celia and Morag but both characters did deserved since they were pretty childish at times. 

On 31/03/2019 at 18:45, j.laur5 said:

When ever i see photo or video of Vanessa i always feel Pippa has more chemistry and class. 

While Debra might made more of simple motherly hen  character   but however i think Vanessa did  give Pippa more depth and  made Pippa more dimensional character then Debra.

While Debra seemed better in dramatic screens  but however i think Vanessa was better at giving Pippa more personality and characteristic. 

I always love how in 80s  Pippa was never scared to tell other adult characters to shut up like Celia and Morag but both characters did deserved since they were pretty childish at times. 

I really enjoyed her storyline with Wall Bertram. It was random, but it gave Pippa a direction and some relevance outside of her family. I also really enjoyed VanPip’s chemistry and relationship she had with all the children. I have watched some of the episodes with DebPip and Bobby and I just don’t see that same chemistry. Even when DebPip cried at Bobby’s bedside it still looked very rehearsed and not organic.in my opinion Debra would’ve been better suited to a female Donald fisher type school ma’am role.

• 3 months later...

I will always be angry at Pippa's exit in 1998. Sure she might have come back many times after but there was just no emotion  to her last episode. At the very most I wanted Pippa to have a heart to heart talk with Sally as she was leaving behind the one foster child she arrived in the bay with. 

Pippa didn't even get a proper final scene with Alisa/Alf/Irene/Donald /Marilyn if I remember rightly. 

I can't help but wonder if they gave Ailsa and Pippa bad exits on purpose because they were angry at well regarded Australian actress's like Judy and Debra quitting  and expected Debra and Judy to stay on the show for years and years.