Pippa Fletcher/Ross - Vanessa Downing & Debra Lawrance

I actually like Pippa most durning 1996-1998 as we just seemed to really get in touch with Pippa character in her unhappiness in Bay  and still  trying to be best mum she can be to kids and I am not saying I like Pippa being unhappy and she wasn’t unhappy whole time after Michael death but just made Pippa such real character in being fed with life in Bay. 

But I do hate to think how fed up Pippa would be if she stayed other ten or twenty.

But unfortunately her last episode was badly written as we didn’t even get proper goodbye screen with Sally and all we got was Pippa given Sally kiss  as if she would be back in couple days. 

I think we very lucky Pippa came back  many times and I can understand why she’s hasn’t returned since her main reason for returning was due to Sally and if Sally had stayed I think she would kept on returning more and if Sally had left earlier we probably wouldn’t of had as many Pippa returns. 

Edited by j.laur5

Her last episode is no surprise really. Once you hand in your notice on these shows, you're a dead man/woman walking. To paraphrase Judy Nunn, out with the trash you go. The writers are already working on the next storyline with your replacement. At least Pip didn't leave in a wooden box.

• 8 months later...
On 27/02/2021 at 09:55, j.laur5 said:

Does anyone remember in Pippa's last episode if her leaving was the last scene of the episode?. 

I don’t think she even had a lot of scenes  in her last episode. 

I found that episode online and didn't watch it fully, but I skimmed through and saw only one scene that had Pippa, and she'd left after saying goodbye to Leah, Miles, Kirsty, Ollie, Annie and Jai at the Diner/Den place, about 4 minutes before the end of the episode.

5 hours ago, homeandawayroxsomuch. said:

I found that episode online and didn't watch it fully, but I skimmed through and saw only one scene that had Pippa, and she'd left after saying goodbye to Leah, Miles, Kirsty, Ollie, Annie and Jai at the Diner/Den place, about 4 minutes before the end of the episode.

Talking about her last episode in 1998?.

• 1 year later...

Just a personal opinion of course, but if I think Pippa was best between 1991-1996, or when she was married to Michael. There was a depth to that relationship, no doubt aided by their real life marriage, as well as acting skills, which brought alive their household during this period. I would suggest no other relationship came close to theirs, warts and all during the early years. Just go and have a look back at the little playful hugs and kisses; the rows and strops. It was passionate and it showed.

I think Pippa pre 1990 didn't have the depth or range. Okay she was brighter and more upbeat, but I also think more wooden.

The real problem for me came with Michael's death in 1996. For whilst I praise the realism of the more negative worrying Pippa of Debra's portrayal, the sheer amount of misery the poor woman had to go through made her bleaker than a bleak thing from bleaksdale. And the Ross household suffered and the whole show suffered.

I guess with her personal circumstances, her becoming a widow was more realistic than Michael leaving her, and Debra seemed glad Denis was at home to look after their kids. But still.

Yes she could be a scold and prim and proper. The whole shtick about the chores for all the kids seemed overly done at times. But until the last two years these negatives could be mitigated. She did well by the kids she looked after and despite mistakes, always meant well.

But worst of all there was her departure. She got the award for being a nationwide recognised brilliant foster mother, only for her then to then completely renege on all her principles and **** a snoop at the award givers by deciding to drop Sally and Sam in it by running off with a new man. Yes she'd been through a lot and understandably might have wanted to move on. But if memory serves me right, she hooked up with this kind of cold and selfish guy in Ian who went around telling and upsetting Sam that he was going to take Pippa away from these selfish brats like him. Far from standing up for Sam and Sally who was still only a young adult, she completely took Ian's side and threw her household under the bus. So much for being Australia's greatest foster mum.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...