Pippa Fletcher/Ross - Vanessa Downing & Debra Lawrance

Well Debra wrapped up 4 season with Josh Thomas on Please Like me which has official ended with the 4th season and she did a wonderful job No spoliers for those who havent seen the last season lets say she was wonderful and her last episode hit home for me suffering depression.

I hope she returns to TV soon.

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, c120701 said:

She not the only star to be coaching future Neighbours

• 3 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:48 PM, CaptainTed84 said:

I don't really know why people debate about this so much, wouldn't the Pippa who was there the clear longest amount of time be the better one? Like I understand that Vanessa Downing was probably an amazing Pippa, but surely Debra is the better one? Sorry for the rant and if this has offended anyone but I am just surprised that people debate this.

I never see anyone compare  the current Roo to Justine Clarke or VJ to Felix Dean as much as I see the comparisons between Debra and Vanessa

Yeah you're right, it was a realistic return. You don't really see that type of thing happen anymore. Family members don't ever return for weddings or funerals anymore. So I suppose it was a nice gesture

I can see how on paper people may think that way, however, my vote goes to Vanessa Downing, as well. This is not to say that I do not think that Debra Lawerence is not talented, she just does not represent my Pippa, the one I grew up watching from the beginning. I think that some of this is down to Vanessa Downing skills as a performer and also the writing as others have mentioned Pippa was written differently following the re-cast, this imho did not help. I can remember Pippa 2 giving Steven  a hard time when Sally was missing, and also not being as supportive as I believe Pippa would have been when Dodge returned and I can remember not only me, but my family thinking that the Vanessa Downing version of Pippa would never have treated the victim that way. Then when Vinnie Patterson was first introduced to the series as Justine's boy friend, Pippa 2 treated him like a criminal when he wanted to hide his CD player at Summer Bay House, as his father's property was being repossessed, it seemed very off for any version of Pippa to be judging a young person based on their parent's behavior, then there was the treatment of Jack Wilson in relation to Michael's accidental death. I really think that Vanessa Downing's performances of Pippa were excellent, but I  also believe that the character was written better back then. Suggesting that fans should like the actor who played the role longer seems a little unusual, does that automatically make Tobey Maguire the best Spider-Man? Does that mean no one else can come near Sean Connery as Bond?  I do not think you are comparing oranges with oranges when you talk about two different actors portraying Roo, one actor in Justine Clarke portrayed a Youth, a high school Student. Georgie Parker was cast in the role of Roo as a mature aged person, over twenty years after Justine Clarke's Roo as a young woman left both Summer Bay and the Series. In that time more than twenty year period, Roo never made a return. It is like saying why does no one compare the Child that Plays Bruce Wayne in the flashback of any Batman film with the actor portraying Bruce Wayne/ Batman in the same film. Like Roo, they are taking on a very different version of the character. Pippa2 immediately followed Vanessa Downing at the same point in Pippa's life as where Vanessa Downing left off playing the role.

Edited by AussieTVFAN
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, AussieTVFAN said:

I can see how on paper people may think that way, however, my vote goes to Vanessa Downing, as well. This is not to say that I do not think that Debra Lawerence is not talented, she just does not represent my Pippa, the one I grew up watching from the beginning. I think that some of this is down to Vanessa Downing skills as a performer and also the writing as others have mentioned Pippa was written differently following the re-cast, this imho did not help. I can remember Pippa 2 giving Steven  a hard time when Sally was missing, and also not being as supportive as I believe Pippa would have been when Dodge returned and I can remember not only me, but my family thinking that the Vanessa Downing version of Pippa would never have treated the victim that way. Then when Vinnie Patterson was first introduced to the series as Justine's boy friend, Pippa 2 treated him like a criminal when he wanted to hide his CD player at Summer Bay House, as his father's property was being repossessed, it seemed very off for any version of Pippa to be judging a young person based on their parent's behavior, then there was the treatment of Jack Wilson in relation to Michael's accidental death. I really think that Vanessa Downing's performances of Pippa were excellent, but I  also believe that the character was written better back then. Suggesting that fans should like the actor who played the role longer seems a little unusual, does that automatically make Tobey Maguire the best Spider-Man? Does that mean no one else can come near Sean Connery as Bond?  I do not think you are comparing oranges with oranges when you talk about two different actors portraying Roo, one actor in Justine Clarke portrayed a Youth, a high school Student. Georgie Parker was cast in the role of Roo as a mature aged person, over twenty years after Justine Clarke's Roo as a young woman left both Summer Bay and the Series. In that time more than twenty year period, Roo never made a return. It is like saying why does no one compare the Child that Plays Bruce Wayne in the flashback of any Batman film with the actor portraying Bruce Wayne/ Batman in the same film. Like Roo, they are taking on a very different version of the character. Pippa2 immediately followed Vanessa Downing at the same point in Pippa's life as where Vanessa Downing left off playing the role.

I also found Debra's Pippa very unlikable during 1991-1992  seasons as I found Pippa very self-righteous and childish during that time.

I thought that was a very out of character moment in episodes around 1991. Finlay going camping with a bunch of boys and Pippa telling Finlay you'll only be coming back to get your things. That's something I can never imagine Vanessa's Pippa saying.

9 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

I also found Debra's Pippa very unlikable during 1991-1992  seasons as I found Pippa very self-righteous and childish during that time.

I thought that was a very out of character moment in episodes around 1991. Finlay going camping with a bunch of boys and Pippa telling Finlay you'll only be coming back to get your things. That's something I can never imagine Vanessa's Pippa saying.

That's one reason I do not like seeing other actors in a role. they have a different take on it. though I know that very popular Down Under having new actors come into a well known character.