Gay Love

Guest Yankee White

I don't like it when people define themselves by their sexuality. And the "I hate gay people" annoys me just as much as the "I love gay people." People are people. No matter what gender, their sexual preference, religion etc. You can get physically abusive, emotionally abusive, rapists and murders who happen to be gay just as you can with hetrosexual people- and you can get lovely, kind and selfless people who are gay or hetrosexual. To me being gay has nothing to do with the kind of person or individual you are. Which is what's supposed to be important, or it is to me.

To answer the original question I absolutely have no problem with it. I have a few friends who happen to be interested in the same sex, or both sexes and I personally don't see why it's an issue. I'm also a Catholic, I go to a Catholic school and from my understanding of my religion, not everything should be taken on face value from the Bible. Most of the things in the Bible from what I've been taught are ways to facilitate our understanding of who God is and what he's about- which is love and forgiveness. (I'm not trying to force my opinion onto anyone I'm talking about my own personal faith) The Bible also talks about slaughtering animals for God as a sacrafice, the greatness of God comitting genocide, that we're a bunch of heathens that are going to hell because of mortal sin and the aim of sex is procreation and therefore the conclusion should be drawn that conraception shouldn't be used. (Getting a little off topic with that as well- there are so many people that are ignorant about that- yes at Catholic schools they do teach you sex education and how to be safe :rolleyes: ) I really dislike it when people (one of my friend's boyfriend's in particular) continually quotes the phrase from the Bible about man not lying with man. For starters, he's not Christian, nor believes any of the ideals that Christians do, or reads the Bible, yet picks and chooses phrases and spits them out when it's convienient to his argument. It's pulling something out of context.

It's not as if someone's sexual preference hurts any individual so I can't for the life of me figure out why in this day and age there are still hate crimes against people because of their sexuality and such homophobia that's out there.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tbh, there's something I don't get (and please don't take this the wrong way!):

People say that homosexual people are the same as everyone else, and that we should just accept them as they are. If this is really the case then why are people making such a fuss about 'gay films'. I wouldn't say, 'Ooh, I'm heterosexual, isn't Love Actually so cute?!' People would just look at me and think I was losing the plot... :blink:

I'd just like to say that I'm gay myself, but I completely agree with you on this point. This might be a controversial point of view given my own sexuality, but in recent years I've have started to question the whole concept of "gay rights" - in this country at least, same sex relationships are recognised by the law (in terms of civil partnerships) and any intolerance is dealt with by the law in an effective way. It baffles me as to why people are therefore still so intent on campaigning for "gay rights" which now, really, only serves to highlight the difference between gay people and straight people. Essentially there is no difference. Everyone has the capacity to fall in love and everyone has the capacity to fall in love with anyone at any given time - so I am sometimes a little confused as to why some of the gay community does still choose to make such a point of being different. Attack me if you will, I'm not going to use "But I'm gay myself!" as a defence towards anyone who questions me.....

Also, I find verbally bashing someone for their religious beliefs no better than verbally bashing someone for their sexuality. All we can ask for as human beings is mutual respect because there are so many divides and differences between who each human being is (beyond the realms of sexuality and religion) and I don't believe for a minute that Jess isn't offering up her mutual respect. Her belief system isn't actually hurting anybody, it's just a stated opinion which she has every right to hold and express (so long as this isn't taken to the point of violence and/or preaching - neither of which is occuring here). If you want equality, you have to be prepared to offer up equality, on a multitude of issues, not just the one which best suits you.

When myself and a few others were discussing the films that were stated yes they were 'gay films' but we were not saying the films were 'beauiful' for the sole reason that the film dealt with a gay storyline. Look I cant explain how the film was very beautiful , it just was.

I agree completely with what you're saying! I would say that in some cases using the expression "gay rights" is a good thing because then you emphasise what you mean, but that being said, I think in a lot of cases it's no longer necessary. Like, I have a very religious friend who disagrees with me on same sex issues, and she's always making a point of it saying things like "You must love this [when something positive is said about a gay person] because you're so pro gay rights!" and my response is always that although I am very pro gay rights and I'm very upfront about that, it's not because I love the concept of gay people and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread; it's because I'm pro EQUAL rights.

It's kind of like with racism, which to me just proves how dangerous it is to get hung up on this being about making one group more equal, and get them up to the "same level" as another one, rather than making it about all groups being brought to the same level, without one group being the "victim" so to speak. For ages the white man has been the bully in the question of racism, and by all means, I'm not arguing that, because white people have done a lot of really bad stuff. The problem is however, that for as long as the white people was pointed out as the bully, that made people of colour the victim. They were, but this whole attitude that they need to be helped and supported and protected from the bully has just ruined any chance we ever had of a rational and fair situation. Today you can have organizations especially for black people, because when the "victim" speaks of race, that's fine. But if you tried to start up a club for white people, they'd call you a racist and probably arrest you before you could get the first meeting started. Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to create a club like that, I'm pro fairly liberal immigration politics and all, I'm just saying that until we stop creating teams in these debates, be it "the gays" or "the blacks" we will just keep going around in circles. Because as long as there is one group measured up against another group, there will be an "us" and an "other", and some people will always pick on their "other" to make themselves stronger.

I am not sure if that made any sense at all. It did in my head, but so did the answers for the French test I failed :P

Well i can't judge anyone who is gay or straight as im bi (or as many others may call greedy :P)

Haha, well, I guess I should mention then, that I am, as Cal (I think) so eloquently put it; braight. If you were wondering, the definition for that word is that you're really heterosexual... With the occasional exception :P

Me for example, I'm more hetero than I'm bi, but there are probably women who would make me give up that title without much hesitation :P

:lol: i think im exactly bi, i love women just the same as i love men :)

I remember a few people on msn from this site use to ask me stuff like 'not trying to be rude but are you straight or gay?' as i use to say in one thread 'Paul O'brien os so hot' and in another thread 'Jodi is just so sexy' :lol: it just made me laugh.

Well i can't judge anyone who is gay or straight as im bi (or as many others may call greedy :P)

Haha, well, I guess I should mention then, that I am, as Cal (I think) so eloquently put it; braight. If you were wondering, the definition for that word is that you're really heterosexual... With the occasional exception :P

Me for example, I'm more hetero than I'm bi, but there are probably women who would make me give up that title without much hesitation :P

:lol: lmao Eli !!

:lol:

Archived