Board Observations...

Guest Pierced Musie

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

men don't mind being raped by women

That's just wrong. Whoever said that in the spoiler section is just disgusting....

You haven't heard a damn word I've said have you.

The last few days I have been reading the Emily Perry thread for fun and the first lot of pages were speculation about the return of Zoe. We had mild speculation, strong theories and even whacky theories (although mostsome of those were mine ^_^). I know that she did return but my point is that speculation and theories are good, but attacking others who don't share your ideas? Bad. And calling an Admin who has been so good to you lot by giving you tidbits and spoilers, a liar? Harsh!

This could also be said for people talking about Jack returning and then others jumping in saying "get over yourself " and "HES DEAD" , people already know this but its kinda in your face.

You don't get me. There is speculation and there is denial, which is the case for some of you. I'm getting at those who attack others because they worry that the speculation is going to far. And believe me, it is because this type of worship has happened before and it ended ugly.

I clearly go around with my head either in the clouds or in the sand but I didn't realise bullying and personal attacks had become such an issue. I had witnessed some of the attacks on Emmasi and was disturbed by them. Would it not be better to have a zero tolerance to something as deplorable as bullying, and ban the user and their IP address?

^That works both ways. Someone who gets oversensitive to something that is said about a character or storyline, shouldn't then complain about people getting oversensitive to personal attacks over it. Criticising characters and storylines is not against the rules. Criticising other members for their opinions on characters and storylines is.

The mods are working overtime tonight, and they seem to be using john's idea. It is a good idea, and good on the mods for implementing it so fast. Let's hope the message gets through :)

^That works both ways. Someone who gets oversensitive to something that is said about a character or storyline, shouldn't then complain about people getting oversensitive to personal attacks over it. Criticising characters and storylines is not against the rules. Criticising other members for their opinions on characters and storylines is.

AMEN! I'll be the first to admit I get worked up sometimes over characters and storylines, even questioning some people's opinions- (how else are you going to debate/discuss a point?) But I don't think I've ever blatantly bashed a poster and If I ever did I'd want to be called on it. There is such a big difference to people not wanting to be bashed for having an opinion (and someone disagreeing with your views on a character/storyline or asking you to explain what you mean is not them bashing you) and the way some people defend their characters so venomously to the point where they're offending REAL people. A bit of perspective wouldn't go astray.

I also hate the way some people post an opinion and if a fan/shipper doesn't agree they take one look at the poster's av and begin bashing on that character/couple. And it's not even relevant to the thread!

I'm glad someone had the guts to say something, well done. Speaking of which, Kat you do an awesome job, you're far from a b*tch and everything you do always comes across as fair. And I echo the sentiments about emmasi's posts. I miss them. :(

men don't mind being raped by women

That's just wrong. Whoever said that in the spoiler section is just disgusting....

Umm.... Isn't that exactly what Musie was trying to get across with her post with that example though? That the problem is personal attacks because of opinions (since many people aren't educated about stuff like that and sometimes therefore has opinions based on irrational assumptions) instead of attacking and disagreeing with the opinion itself....?

Or did I miss some sarcasm here...?

Although, in fairness, there is a difference between saying you hate another member because they ship Adelle and you don't, and calling someone 'disgusting' for saying that rape is acceptable. At the end of the day, these are fictional characters and while bullying is bullying and shouldn't be toleratred in any form, it's not fair, in my opinion, to make a comparison between rape and Adelle.

If I had a dollar for every time my hand has itched to erase a couple of lines from a great post because a poster has made some really insightful comments but followed them with a quite hurtful comment about the poster I wouldn't have to worry so much abouth my retirement income!!

I'm not sure what power mods have but is it possible to just erase those hurtful, bullying parts of a post and warn the poster? This would leave their valuable contribution intact but get rid of the personal attack. Those who found that the bulk of their posts disappeared might get the message. I might be a bit facetious in saying that some posts might cease to exist. It would be a time consuming process and might result in some members leaving the board. We might be happy to lose them. However it would protect other members.

Some longer term members of the board might remember "the Doc" who was a constant source of trouble on the board. When people simply did not respond to his more outrageous attacks he soon became lonely and hasn't been seen on the board for some time now.

I suppose that some of us older and more thick skinned members need to step up and help the mods particularly in the Australian Discussion thread. I'm quite happy to cop abuse from abusive members if it helps other members to find recreation and interest in this board. After all during my 35 years running schools I've been abused by experts!!!

We can't afford to lose any more mods or posters of the quality of Emmasi.

Hopefully these horrible fires will come to an end and I will have more time to devote. Tell me how I can help!!

Hey John I actually love that you posted this. I wasn't around when "the Doc" was, but you bring up a really good point i think people should go by. I too was one of those peeps who were constantly frustrated at the lack of disrespect members where having with other members and there have been times where my patience have really, really been tested. BUT i've also found it refreshing when you just have to walk away from the situation. Im not saying to not state an opinion but if the member is clearly riling you up and all you feel like doing is attack, then the only good thing to do is to not reply. Ignore them. I try and base the relationships i have on this thread with fellow members like they're my friends and would never disrespect them or their opinions. I love going into threads and seeing constructive and intelligent arguments. Emmasi, John, Jody and Redranger are my favourites because it is intelligent and they always back it up with examples to go with their arguments. That i can discuss.

I have been coming on this thread everyday but i rarely post on here that much anymore because of the issues that have been brought up. Its kind of sad really, but i've never once thought that the moderators weren't doing their jobs. I personally feel sorry that you have to put up with this and i know that whatever solution you decide on in the future will be great and will benefit everyone that enjoys coming to this wicked site. Keep up the good work, because it doesn't go unnoticed and lets hope for a sunnier bay...pffft (sorry that was cheesy).

Archived