Board Observations...

Guest Pierced Musie

I’ve noticed a few posters mention the possibility of banning the user in regards to the bullying that has been going on. Even if the moderators/admins do this what’s to stop the offender from simply creating and registering a new account?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve noticed a few posters mention the possibility of banning the user in regards to the bullying that has been going on. Even if the moderators/admins do this what’s to stop the offender from simply creating and registering a new account?

Blocking their IP address, which is what I suggested.

Blocking their IP address, which is what I suggested.

No it wouldn’t. If you’re coming from an ISP each time you connect you will be given a different IP address from your provider via DHCP (unless you have some sort of arrangement to have a static address). They would have to block every address (or range of addresses) that the ISP issue to the clients which is not feasible. Furthermore what’s to stop the person using one of the many Internet facing public proxy servers to access BTTB to mask their address even further?

i think we are now going overboard

i dont want to be in a forum where i have to watch what I say/post because someone gets over sensitive

And that's exactly the problem. Just like any other community, in real life of on the internet, whether it's in a class room or a chat room, BttB is just that; a community. And in a community, certain social rules and norms apply in order to make sure people are having a good time. Would you walk up to a random stranger on the street and tell her to "get over yourself and shut up, you stupid bitch" if you overheard her say something you disagreed with? Hopefully not. Now, there might be forums on the web intended for such bitching and moaning. BttB, however, is not. We aim to be a friendly forum where people can get along.

And again, this isn't about people getting overly sensitive about someone disagreeing with them (if anything, that would put that person in the wrong, because people have to be able to disagree with you) it's about vicious, mean attacks that make other members feel bad about themselves, and feel like they're not entitled to say what they think. I think I've quoted Jem on this before, but I'll do it again. "Saying 'I hate Rachel' is very different from saying 'I hate YOU for hating Rachel.'"

men don't mind being raped by women

That's just wrong. Whoever said that in the spoiler section is just disgusting....

Umm.... Isn't that exactly what Musie was trying to get across with her post with that example though? That the problem is personal attacks because of opinions (since many people aren't educated about stuff like that and sometimes therefore has opinions based on irrational assumptions) instead of attacking and disagreeing with the opinion itself....?

Or did I miss some sarcasm here...?

Although, in fairness, there is a difference between saying you hate another member because they ship Adelle and you don't, and calling someone 'disgusting' for saying that rape is acceptable. At the end of the day, these are fictional characters and while bullying is bullying and shouldn't be toleratred in any form, it's not fair, in my opinion, to make a comparison between rape and Adelle.

I agree with you on that, Jess, but the whole point of Musie's point was that a statement like that could be a result of someone not being very educated on the topic, because through a lot of TV shows and movies the entertainment business is selling female character as sensitive and male characters as sex machines. The point was that when someone says that, they shouldn't just be attacked because we assume they're horrible people, but instead politely corrected with the facts. Read Musie's original post, and I think you'll get my point :wink:

Can I just say something, what you said makes sense. But it sounded like the "person" said that if a man was raped by a woman he would enjoy it, meaning that men arent affected emotionally by raped as women. If that makes sense? I get that if both sexes enjoy it then it wouldnt be "rape". But what made me angry was the idea that males aren affected the same way a female would if they were raped.

That's fair enough but the point Musie was making is that disagreeing with the opinion of a poster is okay and calling them on their opinion is okay BUT calling them personal names for having an opinion isn't okay whether or not you agree with their opinion or not.

In this example it was posted:

"men enjoy rape"

You would be well within your right to reply that you disagree with that opinion because that would be "meaning that men arent affected emotionally by raped as women" and you can argue that in your opinion rape is disgusting whether it was done on a man or a woman. If you'd have posted:

That's just wrong. I think the idea of rape being enjoyable to men is disgusting

Nobody would have argued with you, you wouldn't have done anything wrong because you were attacking an opinion not a person. As Musie pointed out, having such an opinion on rape suggests that the poster doesn't have a very good understanding of what rape is.

BUT

you said:

That's just wrong. Whoever said that in the spoiler section is just disgusting

By using the word whoever you're attacking an individual person for having that opinion and though you think their opinion was wrong the fact is that they clearly don't understand the concept of rape. Therefore they don't understand that their opinion is wrong but that doesn't mean they are a disgusting person, which is what you implied.

Does that make sense?

The point we're trying to make is that whether or not you agree or disagree with an opinion you have no right to call the person making the post names or abuse them just because you disagree with their opinion.

-

Just to update you all, as some people have noticed we have adopted John's suggestion of editing posts and we are clamping down on repeated offenders particulary in the australian forum. There will be more changes to follow in the meantime help us out, report things you think cross the line, ignore an opinion you don't agree with. Whether we like it or not our job here is to moderate and if you don't tell us what's going on we can't do our jobs. Bring any personal attacks to us whether on the boards, via pm whatever and we'll do our best to try and resolve them for you.

No promises, we're only human. :P

Also I just want to add that it's been good to read so many mature points of view in this thread, the healthy debate and feedback justifies my leaving it open and the support of our members is really appreciated by the staff. So thanks. :)

Archived