Roman Harris - Conrad Coleby

lolajaney

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

It's a real shame that this character left so soon. He moulded into a position on the show which pretty much made one of the "main" main characters and out of all the people in that category (especially in 2008) he was my favourite. I really wish he lasted longer, I'm sure Conrad wanted him to as well because his character was awesome. It's a shame that the writer's explored too much into his dark side so soon otherwise he would definitely have been around for a while. What's good is he wasn't a young or old actor so he could have stayed on for a lot longer than most if he had the choice. 

• Like 2

On 9.12.2016 at 10:58 AM, CaptainTed84 said:

It's a real shame that this character left so soon. He moulded into a position on the show which pretty much made one of the "main" main characters and out of all the people in that category (especially in 2008) he was my favourite. I really wish he lasted longer, I'm sure Conrad wanted him to as well because his character was awesome. It's a shame that the writer's explored too much into his dark side so soon otherwise he would definitely have been around for a while. What's good is he wasn't a young or old actor so he could have stayed on for a lot longer than most if he had the choice. 

He wasn't that old either. Conrad Coleby/Taylor was born in 1979, which means that he was only 30 when he was axed. Younger than many other Hollywood travellers are. But I remember there were some comments from Conrad that he was disappointed by the axing, but got quickly over it (he got other roles down under). But I agree with you that he should have stayed, he was one of my favourites too. And he was important for the show, he was a brigde between the older and younger characters. I loved his talk with Colleen for example when Colleen found out that she was the Stewarts' half sister, and he was great with Aden and Nicole.

But Roman Harris was axed to give place to Angelo who just had returned. I thought that was a terrible decision. Roman was just a nice and good character. He wasn't explored at all. They said that he had run his course, and they had taken him too far. Yes, the storyline about Gardy and Roman was over the top, and they suddenly made Roman guilty of murder... But that was Roman's departure storyline, so they had made their decisions before that. And he had certainly not run his course!! We never learned anything about his family, except from Nicole. I think this makes the more significant change in writing style, and not the arrival of the Braxtons. They were just the next step in that direction. Angelo should never have returned after he killed Jack... Oh, yes, I know he didn't mean to, but Angelo was a real mean and horrible cop who did a lot of crimes. Charlie and Kat was/is nothing in comparison. It was like we should just think that Jack was terrible and deserved to die, and all Angelo's crimes was forgotten.

Roman should at least have stayed as long as Nicole did. What they did to her character after he left wasn't good either. I don't think he would have stayed for years and years, but probably for a while. He had some roles after Home and away, but he is a photographer now. I googled hm. 

Edited by jodlebirger
  • Like 2

Despite what was said by both the tabloids and Conrad about the producers deciding that the character had run its course, that wasn't the whole story.

Whilst the internal politics are none of our business, I can say in this case that the sole blame cannot be put on the show.

As was said at the time, the producers don't write out good characters/actors if they have a choice - especially when so many other actors at the time were leaving of their own choice to try and crack L.A. (that also played a small factor, though whether he did give L.A. a try or not in the end is irrelevant)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jodlebirger said:

He wasn't that old either. Conrad Coleby/Taylor was born in 1979, which means that he was only 30 when he was axed. Younger than many other Hollywood travellers are. But I remember there were some comments from Conrad that he was disappointed by the axing, but got quickly over it (he got other roles down under). But I agree with you that he should have stayed, he was one of my favourites too. And he was important for the show, he was a brigde between the older and younger characters. I loved his talk with Colleen for example when Colleen found out that she was the Stewarts' half sister, and he was great with Aden and Nicole.

But Roman Harris was axed to give place to Angelo who just had returned. I thought that was a terrible decision. Roman was just a nice and good character. He wasn't explored at all. They said that he had run his course, and they had taken him too far. Yes, the storyline about Gardy and Roman was over the top, and they suddenly made Roman guilty of murder... But that was Roman's departure storyline, so they had made their decisions before that. And he had certainly not run his course!! We never learned anything about his family, except from Nicole. I think this makes the more significant change in writing style, and not the arrival of the Braxtons. They were just the next step in that direction. Angelo should never have returned after he killed Jack... Oh, yes, I know he didn't mean to, but Angelo was a real mean and horrible cop who did a lot of crimes. Charlie and Kat was/is nothing in comparison. It was like we should just think that Jack was terrible and deserved to die, and all Angelo's crimes was forgotten.

Roman should at least have stayed as long as Nicole did. What they did to her character after he left wasn't good either. I don't think he would have stayed for years and years, but probably for a while. He had some roles after Home and away, but he is a photographer now. I googled hm. 

I think the storyline with Elliot played a part in it, maybe they regretted doing it so early possibly, I'm not sure. I didn't mind Angelo, even though he killed Jack I still never disliked his character all that much. I think they should have just kept both in the show in all honesty and created a love triangle between Roman-Charlie-Angelo, and then maybe if they didn't want Roman and Charlie to be with each other then pair Roman up with Leah instead, because I didn't mind them together. But you are right though, Angelo was probably the worst cop ever on the show hence why he got the sack.

I think Roman should've stayed until 2010 or 2011, would have been nice to see him meet the Braxton's when they first arrived. It also would have been cool to see him be there for Nicole when she left high school and be there for Aden when Belle died. He left the bay just before Belle's death and the crazy end to Trey's storyline.

One thing that also annoys me is the fact that there isn't a wikipedia page for Roman, considering at one point he was a "Main" main character it shocks me that his character doesn't have a wikipedia profile. I really hope that it is made one day, he deserves one I believe otherwise it will make his chances of being forgetten higher than other characters.