Character/Actor Appreciation

Guest Eli

If people are ignoring warnings for spamming / picking on others / making people feel uncomfortable in threads, could they not just be banned? :unsure:

I dunno; I know you guys are doing your best for the site, and it's fab to have a site where the moderators are persistant at trying to keep the peace. But, I admit when I log on the site now, I'm sort of at a loss for where to go; I used to spend most of my time in character appreciation, but now, I don't see the point - because even if I reply to someone, it takes a while for my reply to be posted, and while I'm replying, eight others could be replying - and then we end up overlapping each other in what we said, or someone will have said what I was saying before me, and then my reply looks superfluous.

To be honest, I only started being active on the forum a couple of weeks ago, and I never foudn myself to be not welcome in any of the appreciation threads- and yes, I used post in both the Adelle & The Anti Adelle threads. [i think it's those that seem to have caused most disruption?]

It's just a pity taht we all have to suffer due to the careless actions of a few members.

But yes, I do recognise that the mods are doing a good job; this isn't getting at ye, it's just disappointment that soem members have spoiled it for the rest of us.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry that I posted a snappy reply before. I'm not usually such a bitch, I just got a bit of bad news so I was kind of angry.

Anyway: Frogg; all I meant was one of the reasons we merged the two types of threads was to enable more discussion between both groups. For example, I don't like Adelle, so now I can go in and say 'I know I've come across as very negative regarding this couple, but I really enjoyed their scenes on Thursday, they acted as a very mature and intelligent couple, however they'll have to stick to that behaviour before I like them again'. Chances are I would have been shunned if I posted that in the old appreciation thread.

Another reason was because of people spamming the appreciation thread. That is why we changed the whole system of the forum so rather than appreciting/deprecating characters/actors, we could discuss them, together and hopefully generate a much friendlier environment that isn't 'us against them'.

Also I'd like to outline what other mods have said about SPAG - please try your best to spell and punctuate everything as well as you can, incase you don't know what SPAG is, it's Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (And Capital Letters...)

Symphony; we only ban people if we have a very good reason to, and these people probably weren't aware/were hiding it very well so we couldn't pin them on anything. We also have a warnings system and an MP system and we have to go through all that and MANY people have been warned over this and stopped for a while. Spamming and all that is a very unconscious thing you do, people usually don't set out to spam.

Banning is a last resort, really. I don't think we've actually banned members for a while. We've disabled posting abilities for spambots, but that's all. :) (Actually, I don't think I have a 'ban' button anymore... where did that go? :unsure:)

This wasn't a decision that was made quickly. We discussed every possible solution and this new system was the one that proved popular amongst the staff. We are very aware of the fact that members who never spammed are affected by this, but we hope it helps them too. Most members who wanted to post their views and opinions didn't because they didn't want to get attacked, so this is also preventing that from happening. :)

This system will be reviewed in a few weeks and the staff will discuss it in great detail (like always). We hope that maybe the MP can be turned off, but only if people can not spam like it's 1999. :P

^^ Thats totally uncalled for IMO. It's not like it's been totally removed you can still view the old thread, we just can't post anything in it. Anyway, I’m in two minds about the new section.

Firstly I think it’s a great idea to have all post approved before posting as it will help members familiarise themselves with what the forum staff class as SPAG, so it will hopefully help not just this section but the rest of the forum as well. However I know you’re having problems with it, but posts aren’t been approved straight away, so members are unsure what other people have already said in other posts. Ie answering questions, or leaving comments about the latest episode incase someone else has already commented on it and aren’t posting. Or at least I’m not. Maybe with things have been sorted out I might feel differently.

Secondly I think it’s a good idea to keep all discussion about a character/couple together as I think they all have pro and cons about them, so it’s nice to be able to post all your thought into the one thread But I do think in the long run, it will cause more problems then there was to begin with. I’m going to use Adelle thread as my example as most other post have been based around that thread. I love Aden and Belle as a couple so whenever I came onto the forum I would always have to looking in the Adelle thread, to see what had happens in the new episode, of there was any new spoilers etc… I will admit once or twice I did look in the anti one however I never posted anything, as like it’s been said before everyone entitled to there opinion. But I’m sure some members have that and not agreed with other members posts and how some of the heated discussion came from. Now if they are all in one thread and people disagreed with the “I love/Hate Adelle” comments, they may feel more inclined to comment. At least the 2 separate threads most members would only visit the one they were most interested in. I know you are approving all posts before posting however staff can’t do this forever so what’s going to happen when you remove it. IMO all the arguments will start all over again. Maybe I’m wrong and we won’t know until it’s been given a go.

Anyway that’s my little rant over with, I hope everyone understands what I was trying to say.

Well I posted three times in the character appreciation section today which is three times more than I have done in ages, and they were all approved in a matter of minutes. It was a joy not to have to wade through pages of "OMG so and so is so cute" or "I hate X and they suck" posts followed by" I agree "and "me too". I don't think some of you realize how off putting the old system was to so many people who really did want to say something but actually felt that thy couldn't, or who like me gave up because I couldn't be bothered to wade through all the spam.

If I want to wax lyrical about Aden or Angelo and how cute they are I will do it on MSN with my friends - this isn't a chat room, although some people seem to think it is.

Change is always difficult to accept. In this sort of situation whatever the site owners agree to do someone will be unhappy. At the end of the day they they have to do what they feel will be in the best interests of the majority, and the fact is that some people will not like it and that is an inevitable fact of life. Personally I do like it and think that once the threads take off and people begin to talk a bit more that things will relax and the moderators can then perhaps remove the pre mod facility and see what happens.

Just to pick up on a point freakybuffy made......although in the long run we'd like to see that area of the forum taken off mod preview again, if things revert back to how they used to me I imagine we'll either go back to mod preview or we'll discuss alterntives and take the appropriate course - one thing I definitely don't envisage is us allowing things to go bac to the way they way.

Of course this is all speculation at this point because we haven't even reviewed this system fully yet, but I just wanted to make the point that a change is definitely a permanent one - it may mutatae a little in future but it'll still remain "a change". :)

Archived