Character/Actor Appreciation

Guest Eli

I think the feeling is that there are already official episode summaries written up by JosieTash so we don't want to be doubling up all over the place. However, if the summaries are character specific (I didn't see your post, but I assume it was) we might allow those in future. I'm the only staff member online right now so I'll get back to you :unsure:

The "how cuuuuuuute" posts are what we're trying to avoid, because if we approve that, then we'll have to approve the next 20 posts saying "omg I know they ARE cuuuuute!" and "i agree" and "me too! so cute!!1!!!1!!!!" That's spam. If you say "How cute was tonight! I loved it when Aden kissed Belle. It's so great that they are back together. I hope they don't have any more fights" etc... I would approve that. If you want to have an actual conversation with lots of people putting in little one-liners, you could try getting together for an MSN chat.

We're all still finding our feet, working out the new system. It is confusing at the moment, but we're doing our best to be consistent. We have just about everyone on staff approving posts due to the amount of people who post in that forum, so there is a chance that there will be some inconsistencies in what is approved and what isn't, because we're not robots and we all have our individual opinions on what is good discussion and what isn't. But I think the criteria I posted above should pretty much sum it up.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the feeling is that there are already official episode summaries written up by JosieTash so we don't want to be doubling up all over the place. However, if the summaries are character specific (I didn't see your post, but I assume it was) we might allow those in future. I'm the only staff member online right now so I'll get back to you :unsure:

The "how cuuuuuuute" posts are what we're trying to avoid, because if we approve that, then we'll have to approve the next 20 posts saying "omg I know they ARE cuuuuute!" and "i agree" and "me too! so cute!!1!!!1!!!!" That's spam. If you say "How cute was tonight! I loved it when Aden kissed Belle. It's so great that they are back together. I hope they don't have any more fights" etc... I would approve that. If you want to have an actual conversation with lots of people putting in little one-liners, you could try getting together for an MSN chat.

We're all still finding our feet, working out the new system. It is confusing at the moment, but we're doing our best to be consistent. We have just about everyone on staff approving posts due to the amount of people who post in that forum, so there is a chance that there will be some inconsistencies in what is approved and what isn't, because we're not robots and we all have our individual opinions on what is good discussion and what isn't. But I think the criteria I posted above should pretty much sum it up.

Not that i'm saying that everyone on the forum is some kind of weirdo but I know I'm not really happy about giving my msn to people I don't know. I think the reason evryone liked the old way of one liners is that you knew that the mods were checking everything was okay and you didn't have to give out personal details etc...

I wasn't gonna say anything but when i have something to say i can't help myself so here goes... :P

I'm not sure i like this post preview thing.I can see the benefits of it but also feel like we aren't 5 yrs old and shouldn't need someones permission to post something.Where the hell is freedom of speech gone?I get the spam issue but surely there's a better way then making people feel like infants who have to prove ourselves worthy.

I'm not trying to cause a fight i'm just expressing an opinion.Personally i think it'll stop me using that forum much.I'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who thinks it,i'm just the only one who won't blow smoke :wink: .

I'm not saying post it on the forum. Maybe I should have made that clear. DO NOT POST YOUR MSN ADDRESS ON THE FORUM :blink: I just meant that if you know there are a few people who you like chatting with on the forum, then you could PM your MSN address to them. You don't have to. It's just a thought.

It's very hard to post in a thread when a small group of people are having their own on-going conversation over several hundred pages.

I've got to admit at first I was like "Well this is totally lame, my comments have to be approved first" But now I actually find it an awesome idea! It was annoying going threw threads, and just reading "Yay there back together," or "They were so cute."

In some ways I disagree as to why you have this 'approving' thing, But I love it at the same time. :lol:

But anyway, thanks to all the staff for your work done with it. :)

I get the spam issue but surely there's a better way then making people feel like infants who have to prove ourselves worthy.

You'd think, but the mods already tried warnings, individual Mod Preview, suspensions, and going into threads to break up fights and post definitions of spam. It was a frustrating and very repetitive process that didn't seem to achieve much. People either didn't get it or didn't care, so now the whole staff room has gotten together to try this new system out and see what happens. I'm honestly not crazy about it because it means a whole lot more work for us and I don't like treating people like infants either, especially the people who have done nothing wrong. Maybe we can look at this as a training exercise to show everybody the kind of posts we actually want on the forum by deleting the ones we don't so that some time in the future we can take the Mod Preview off and trust people not to take over threads with spam again. Let the people who already make good posts lead by example and let people who struggle with it learn how to make their own posts better and more constructive. I'm pretty sure that's how this is meant to be working :huh:

Well I think its working ok so far. By having a process where mods have to physically approve a post before it can be viewed effectively forces people to word their posts more appropriately and deters anybody from making any of their posts personal or picking people out to deliberately start an argument. I wasn’t entirely sure about have a single thread for each character to be honest but we will have to see how things play out I guess.

Well I don't really mind being treated like a 5 year old, having my posts read first etc. if it means that it will cut out the spam posts. It seems some people didn't understand what spam was, however many times it was explained to them by the Mods or other members, and there were pages upon pages of unneccesary posts (kind of happening in the Adelle spoiler thread now :ph34r:, but atleast the post count isn't increasing at an alarming rate).

Also sometimes you just want to discuss a characters actions in an in depth way (therefore outside of Aus discussion), where you can express your views in more detail. Before, if I actually liked a character, but didn't agree with their actions at some point, I didn't know where to post. The appreciation thread was full of saccharin posts and mine would get lost in amongst them, and I felt like a traitor posting in a character's anti thread(although I did do it :P), but these new character discussion threads provide the balance. So well done to the mods on their efforts to improve. :) Saying this, I haven't actually posted in that section yet, been too scared of my post being deleted as SPAM. :o:P Actually it's all a bit new and overwhelming but I shall venture in there and do some discussing soon.

We'd like to thank all of you for supporting this so far! :)

We aren't looking for MENSA style posts in the new forum. We are looking for something that doesn't consist of repetitive one-liners. What we are looking for are thoughts on an aspect of a character and why you like or dislike that aspect of that character. It can be two lines as long as it's not spam and repetitive. And also, please use spoiler tags in the character discussion forum when discussing Australian episodes!

What isn't acceptable: "yay! she was in the episode 2day nd her hair was coooooooooooooooooooooool!"

What is acceptable: "I was glad to see her in the episode today. Hopefully we'll get a lot more of that because I think she brings a lot to episode. And by the way, her hair was amazing!"

Okay, you may wonder why "her hair was amazing" would be acceptable. Well (and this is my opinion only), the poster said they liked that she was in the episode and they said that they'd like to see more of her in future episodes. And her hair is an aspect of the character which the poster liked. So voila, you have an acceptable post that will be approved! :)

Like I said before, we aren't looking for essays!

Well I don't really mind being treated like a 5 year old, having my posts read first etc. if it means that it will cut out the spam posts. It seems some people didn't understand what spam was, however many times it was explained to them by the Mods or other members, and there were pages upon pages of unneccesary posts (kind of happening in the Adelle spoiler thread now :ph34r:, but atleast the post count isn't increasing at an alarming rate).

*Sigh*

Unfortunately, it has all migrated over there. And even after two of us Mods asked them to stop... it's still happening. :rolleyes: *headdesk* And we know it's happening in the Tachel thread, too. Don't think we didn't notice. :P

Just a couple of points I'd like to add onto what other staff members have said.....

1) SPAM is all about context. We're not saying you're not allowed to say you like someones hair (to use Cal's example :P ) and we're not saying every post has to be an essay but essentially what we don't want is something like the following:

"Omg, I loooooved X's hair today"

"Yes so did I"

"Me too"

"And me"

"It rocked"

The first post alone is fine....even a reply is alright....but when you get 5 or 10 people just saying "yes, I agree" it becomes unnecesary SPAM. It's actually quite a hard thing to define and we were fully expecting it to be an issue raised by the members and staff alike but we seem to be finding our feet and hopefully the lines will become a lot clearer the further into the system we get. :)

2) This issue hasn't really been raised yet as its not the most pressing issue about the changeover but it is something that hasn't gone unoticed - your post is far more likely to get approved if you're using correct SPAG. The shift key and preview post button is your friend. :)

Archived