Character/Actor Appreciation

Guest Eli

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to apologise about posting UK spoilers. I forgot that the Character Discussions are supposed to be at UK pace. I'd gotten used to all the "contains spoilers" notes on the old threads. I didn't even connect that we've been posting spoilers because I'm obviously at Aus pace. Sorry. I actually moved a thread discussing a couples' breakup out of Aus discussion the other day and put it in the Character Discussion thread. My apologies to the person who started that thread, it was in the right place to start with. My bad.

That didn't really need to be brought up okay. I really hate how fans of golden couples are so unfairly stereotyped. As a huge fan of Jack and martha before and now, Aden and Belle, I've seen this type of conflicts for as long as I've been on home and away forums and it is very annoying for us fans. We are constantly accused of things and people just judge you one way or another if you are a fan of the golden couple.

And, sorry but I have to say this, I feel like these character discussion threads are now corrupted with long draining essays that are just tiring to read all the time. It makes those who aren't as comfortable writing such in depth discussions reluctant to post in there. But I guess you can't win.

Oh dear!

It looks like someone’s got out of the wrong side of bed this morning. If that was intended for me I thought I was providing some useful statistics.

Anyway, let’s be fair I haven’t actually “stereotyped” anyone and I do quite like Aden and Belle, I just wouldn’t say I’m a hardcore fan. If you look at some of my posts you will see that I don’t really start conflicts as most of them are exclusively about the episodes or certain characters.

I don’t believe that anybody is expecting you to write an essay but I think the moderators were trying to eliminate certain posts which they considered to be spam. The reason why some of the posts in particular about Aden have been quite lengthy in my opinion is because he is a very complex character and as this is now a discussion thread I believe quite a few members who were trying to get their point across in regards to his actions were detailing events throughout his time in the bay to back up their claims.

I actually think this is quite a refreshing change to how things were previously, as people with differing views can now debate certain characters without getting into conflict...

I'd like to apologise for the number of spoilers I keep including.I'm actually watching at UK pace and stopped reading Character Discussion threads because I kept seeing things and thinking "I didn't want to know that!"Yet here I am, mentioning things that haven't been shown over here yet.Apologies and I'll try and do better in future.

That didn't really need to be brought up okay. I really hate how fans of golden couples are so unfairly stereotyped. As a huge fan of Jack and martha before and now, Aden and Belle, I've seen this type of conflicts for as long as I've been on home and away forums and it is very annoying for us fans. We are constantly accused of things and people just judge you one way or another if you are a fan of the golden couple.

And, sorry but I have to say this, I feel like these character discussion threads are now corrupted with long draining essays that are just tiring to read all the time. It makes those who aren't as comfortable writing such in depth discussions reluctant to post in there. But I guess you can't win.

I think you have touched on the real issue here. You see I am one of the older ( perhaps elderly ) posters. Sometimes I like to post at length sometimes I like to post something shorter. Your reference to "long, draining essays" is in itself a stereotype. Can't both types of posts exist side by side without one group getting annoyed with the other?

I guess that how that new section revolves and develops is going to depend a whole lot on how people post, no surprise there, and really people have to decide that for themselves. Some will write loads, some wont, but it’s just the crappy OMG and spammy repetitive posts that were the major problem. I don’t think any one is dictating what can and can’t be said as far as I can see, just trying to cut down on the crap. that and getting people away from the wars that went on in there cos lets face it, General David Petraous himself could use some posters from around here if he wanted to up the propaganda war :P , it got mighty vicious in there at times and any one who wasn't on one or other side of a particular shipping ventured into certain threads at their peril.

Sometimes you can say what you want to say in one line sometimes it takes longer.

When the last system began there were not many posts to begin with and it took a while to take off and I think people need to give this system time to bed down and for the threads to grow.

If I want to wax lyrical about Aden or Angelo and how cute they are I will do it on MSN with my friends - this isn't a chat room, although some people seem to think it is.

Thankyou, I think a bunch of us have been looking for a phrase to easily make it clear what we mean, and that's by far the best explanation I've seen to far :D

And like Nick said, it's all about context. If you want to comment on Belle's hair (thanks, Cal, Master of examples :P) or Irene's apron or Jack's flipflops or Charlie's taste in coffee, that's fine, as long as that's not all you ever do.

We're not just looking at single posts here, we try to keep track of what we and others approve (pretty much a full time job :P) so that we can filter out spammers and see the difference between a spammer and someone posting a short comment every now and then.

And again, thank you for being so positive about this. This project has kind of been my baby over the last few weeks, and I (as well as the other staff members) were worried this would end up as something nobody was willing to give a chance. I think I've said it too many times, but thank you for giving it a fair chance and thank you for giving us feedback on the system :)

Archived