Character/Actor Appreciation

Guest Eli

In addition to what the other staff members have said, I'd just like to say that this isn't something we just decided on randomly yesterday. The decision to do this wasn't triggered by just one case, but like Cal said many mass-warnings have been given and that's part of the reason why we first started discussing this a few weeks ago.

Hopefully we'll get a section that works better now, I just hope people are willing to give the new system a chance and don't go hating and complaining before we've seen if it actually works the way we intend it to, which is to promote more discussion and make the forum more member-friendly for everyone.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I'll really miss being able to say, "Ah, I can't wait for Friday's episode; seeing Aden all worried and protective will be awesome, 'cause up 'til now, it's sort of been Belle wearing the pants in the responsible side of the relationship" <-- because that, to me, really is appreciation of the characters, and what the writers are doing with them, and etc.

I don't mean to cause trouble now [at all, you know I'm not a troublemaker!] but I'm just wondering; would someone be allowed to start a thread called "the Jack & Martha thread" - in some part of the forum, just to talk about Jack & Martha; not necessarily all to do with the characters, but including the wardrobe, their likes & dislikes of the characters, the actors, what they thought was good, moving etc. Or, for Adelle / Rachel & Tony / Leah / Kirsty etc? As in, not directly an 'appreciation' thread; but just a thread about them, where people are free to just chat about a specific character / couple, rather than discuss? Or would that just cause hassle? :(

Lol, you can tell I'm going to miss the Adelle Appreciation Thread :wub:

To be honest, I'll really miss being able to say, "Ah, I can't wait for Friday's episode; seeing Aden all worried and protective will be awesome, 'cause up 'til now, it's sort of been Belle wearing the pants in the responsible side of the relationship" <-- because that, to me, really is appreciation of the characters, and what the writers are doing with them, and etc.

I don't mean to cause trouble now [at all, you know I'm not a troublemaker!] but I'm just wondering; would someone be allowed to start a thread called "the Jack & Martha thread" - in some part of the forum, just to talk about Jack & Martha; not necessarily all to do with the characters, but including the wardrobe, their likes & dislikes of the characters, the actors, what they thought was good, moving etc. Or, for Adelle / Rachel & Tony / Leah / Kirsty etc? As in, not directly an 'appreciation' thread; but just a thread about them, where people are free to just chat about a specific character / couple, rather than discuss? Or would that just cause hassle? :(

Lol, you can tell I'm going to miss the Adelle Appreciation Thread :wub:

That would probably cause hassle becasuse some people will spam, and it will be like the old CA section all over again. If you want them kinds of chats you could take them to PMs, or even Instant Messengers? Those kind of topics will become very spammy.

Another question but in regards to the so-called Spam from the forum members, does this only apply to the Character Appreciation thread? There are plenty of other threads where members write completely pointless posts that contribute nothing to a discussion whatsoever. How do you plan on handling those or do I take it that making the thread contribute nothing to the post count is the method that will be employed?

Another question but in regards to the so-called Spam from the forum members, does this only apply to the Character Appreciation thread? There are plenty of other threads where members write completely pointless posts that contribute nothing to a discussion whatsoever. How do you plan on handling those or do I take it that making the thread contribute nothing to the post count is the method that will be employed?

Spam is not welcome in any thread, with the possible exception of General Chat where there are a few highly conversational threads for off-topic discussion. If you see a post which you feel is spam, report it. It will be dealt with. The reason the Character Appreciation threads are being targeted is because there is a high concentration of spam posts in that forum. As people have said many times, threads that grow ten pages per hour tend to cause suspicion about the quality of the posts. And it's not about mods being on a power-trip, it's about an 8000 member forum trying to be maintained in the most efficient way possible. The staff want everyone to feel welcome in every thread, and the simple fact is that some people aren't welcome in the appreciation and anti threads because there have been bad precedents set by a few irresponsible people who just don't care about anyone's opinion but their own. We're trying to put that mentality behind us. That's the main reason this is happening. If it was spam alone, the offending members would most likely be suspended from posting.

This is all very interesting. I have to say the Adelle thread "controversy" pretty much passed me by and I was unaware of it until reading this. I can concur with people being undermined for posting real thoughts on a character however. I have been subject to this myself in one of the anti threads of my creation. It rightly p**d me off considering I love being involved on this site, and believe myself to be a useful contributor.

The new proposals sounds like a positive thing so I look forward to that.

Archived