Quick Questions

emmauk06

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 18:22, Old H&A Fan said:

I have watched Episode 1913 on PLUS7 under "Births, Deaths & Marriages", and something in these episodes and around this time doesn't make sense.

Hide contents

Angel says when she was trying to rush to the hospital to give birth to her baby, and was stuck by the flooded river where Michael died, someone on a motorcycle showed up, and helped her across the river. Angel says it was Shane on the motorbike (and this is not to be confused with the name she gave the baby, which is another matter I won't deal with here).

How can she say it was Shane on the motorbike by the river in spite of the obvious?

Because.

(Did Angel actually say that? I thought they left it ambiguous for a bit until they felt the need to have Shannon spell it out.Maybe my faulty memory or maybe I missed a bit.)

Thinking about it, the motorcyclist didn't help her across the river, she went by boat the next morning after giving birth at the caravan park, he just led them out of the bush. I can remember Angel giving a knowing "Ah, of course" smile after the motorcyclist disappeared, but I don't recall her actually saying she thought it was Shane.

On 15/06/2019 at 12:01, Red Ranger 1 said:

Thinking about it, the motorcyclist didn't help her across the river, she went by boat the next morning after giving birth at the caravan park, he just led them out of the bush. I can remember Angel giving a knowing "Ah, of course" smile after the motorcyclist disappeared, but I don't recall her actually saying she thought it was Shane.

Once they get to the hospital 2 episodes later, she tells Kelly all about the mysterious biker who helped them get to safety. Kelly asks "Who was he?" and she replies "You wouldn't believe me if I told you." She doesn't outright say it was Shane, but the implication is clear. It's not like it's ambiguous who she meant, like she could have been talking about the ghost of Rory Heywood or something.

She also says this right after joining the dots of events. Kelly confirms that baby Shane wouldn't have survived if Angel had had to give birth while they were trapped in the bush. Angel says  "She's got to pull through. Otherwise what was the point of everything, of getting pregnant to Shane and Shane dying and... the motorcyclist?" It's like she has found meaning and peace in Shane's previously seemingly random death, he died so he could come back and ensure baby Shane's survival.

21 hours ago, Sally Keating said:

Once they get to the hospital 2 episodes later, she tells Kelly all about the mysterious biker who helped them get to safety. Kelly asks "Who was he?" and she replies "You wouldn't believe me if I told you." She doesn't outright say it was Shane, but the implication is clear. It's not like it's ambiguous who she meant, like she could have been talking about the ghost of Rory Heywood or something.

She also says this right after joining the dots of events. Kelly confirms that baby Shane wouldn't have survived if Angel had had to give birth while they were trapped in the bush. Angel says  "She's got to pull through. Otherwise what was the point of everything, of getting pregnant to Shane and Shane dying and... the motorcyclist?" It's like she has found meaning and peace in Shane's previously seemingly random death, he died so he could come back and ensure baby Shane's survival.

Well, yes, it's the implication, but by having her not state it outright it did remain ambiguous and leave viewers to make up their own minds.At least for a few episodes until they felt we needed to be hit over the head with a "Hey, that motorcyclist was meant to be Shane, did you get that?" sledgehammer.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2019 at 11:33, Sally Keating said:

I feel like it's only ambiguous if there's other possible alternatives. But I get  what you're saying. And you're right, there was no need for the show to then over-explain it.

How can you say the show "over-explained" something? If anything, they under-explain so many other things, and this one actually needed explanation!

This is a frequent frustration I find when watching the show. So many things not making sense.

16 hours ago, Sally Keating said:

I just put my fingers on my keyboard and typed the letters in that order. It was easy really.

That comment isn't even funny.?

Looks like I'll have to spell it out to you in language you are more likely to understand.

How can the show "over-explain" something? 

• Confused 1