Quick Questions

emmauk06

On 25/01/2020 at 12:27, Old H&A Fan said:

I've recently started from the beginning again. I can't find the "1988 episode discussion" thread, and not sure if it belongs in the Amazon Prime thread, but I have a nagging question about this Frank and Roo affair.

Roo is sent away to Boarding School because Alf couldn't control her (she is angry at him for having an affair and later marrying Alsa). To rebel against being treated like a kid, she decides to do something "adult" and sleep with Brett. The first we hear that the sex was unsafe and led to pregnancy was when she saw this doctor (under a false name), and she told her she is definitely pregnant.

1. Why did she and Brett not take any precautions?

2. Why didn't Roo take the morning-after pill?

3. Why did she not seek an abortion, why did she insist she would keep the baby even though she was obviously not ready?

1. Probably figured (wrongly) "Eh, what's one time?" (like a lotta stupid teens/not-much-more-mature 20-somethings)

2. Writers wanted to probably cook up drama and Long-term consequences.

3. Brett pretty much tried to enforce one on her (in those days it was called "an operation") but she legged it into that taxi back to the bay. However, said Baby in equation would grow up to have one of her own damn near  20yrs later during a self destructive spell where she called out a certain great aunt for giving away her own child to save her marriage/career...

8 minutes ago, early years fan said:

I don’t think the Morning after pill was available back then? 

1988 wasn't that far back in the dark ages lol the very first episodes of A Country Practice (1981) and Neighbours (1985) both had underage girls asking to go on the pill so i think Roo had that option available to her in 88! ? 

12 hours ago, Bobby Forever Missed said:

1988 wasn't that far back in the dark ages lol the very first episodes of A Country Practice (1981) and Neighbours (1985) both had underage girls asking to go on the pill so i think Roo had that option available to her in 88! ? 

6 hours ago, early years fan said:

Yes of course the pill was readily available, but the morning after pill wasn’t really an option until the 90s.

It was around in the UK (I can remember them using it in Casualty in 1994) but seems to have taken a long time to catch on worldwide and specifically in Australia, who don't seem to have had it at all until c.2002. So definitely not an option for Roo over a decade earlier.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/theres-got-to-be-a-morning-after-20030628-gdh099.html

Roo did it to spite her father. Having unprotected, unmarried sex was the ultimate "bad girl" thing for a teenage girl to do. Alf had sent her away to boarding school because of her increasingly bad behaviour, and this was her revenge. Obviously, she didn't think it through and think about the consequences. She was too busy just being a brat.

I believe that's why she didn't think about taking precautions.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 16:39, Old H&A Fan said:

How did the man behind the poison pen letters know Mr Fisher was Bobby's father? And was he right about Alsa getting pregnant to that priest "friend" of hers who looks like Murdoch Roberts? I mean they weren't living together at the time Alsa was made pregnant?

Nicholas was working with Morag at that point, right? She seemingly filled him in so they could use it as leverage.I don't think even he believed Alf wasn't the father or even really expected Alf to believe it, it was just about causing trouble between him, Ailsa and Roo.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2020 at 09:25, Red Ranger 1 said:

Nicholas was working with Morag at that point, right? She seemingly filled him in so they could use it as leverage.I don't think even he believed Alf wasn't the father or even really expected Alf to believe it, it was just about causing trouble between him, Ailsa and Roo.

I am still not 100% clear whether Alf and Alsa were living together 5 months before the pregnancy was discovered. Do they conveniently distort times and skip periods of times to make it difficult to tell how long 5 months on the show is?