Quick Questions

emmauk06

1 hour ago, Jamie! said:

I'm not sure if this is in the right place, but I've recently been reminded of a storyline that happened where a supply teacher came and for whatever reason, the students took a big dislike to him, ending up with them gluing him to his chair. I can't remember all the details, but I do remember feeling really sorry for the teacher, particularly when Don Fisher found him stuck and I'm sure he was in tears. It seemed like they were picking on him when he was just trying to do his job and taking offence to him disciplining them.

What was the name of this teacher? What did he do to make them dislike him so much? Did the students end up regretting what they did?

That was Brett Egan (played by Emmanuel Marshall) in 1997. It started off with the usual "wind up the student teacher" capers and he attempted to rise above it, but it got progressively worse (releasing live chickens in the classroom) to the point where he rightly decided it was time to take a hard line and start punishing them. They turned against him further when he shouted at Kim Rose for ignoring him—thinking that her being deaf was yet another prank—and he humiliated Casey by reading out her particularly bad essay in class. I won't give an ep by ep account, but that went on for another week or two until Casey superglued him to the chair on his last day.

Casey admitted it to Don, given that she was also leaving that same day and thought herself untouchable, but it did fracture her relationship with him which clearly upset both of them. So much so that he chose not to see her off, which meant she left under a bit of a black cloud. Joey did attempt to apologise to Brett before he left and Aaron obviously got a good serve from Alf and Ailsa which made him regret it somewhat.

Brett actually returned in 2001 and had a short romance with Sally—but he had trouble controlling his temper with students and also bolted in a panic when Woody held up Sally's class. In the end he decided to resign and travel the world.

Edit: Forgot to mention he also returned for a couple of eps in 2002 when Summer Bay High was facing closure—by that point he was working for the education department, and just after he left Sally happened to receive some leaked documents from the department which would go some way into helping them save the school.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

1997 was a strange time for the show. You either got some good stuff like the Cyclone or some other meh filler.

Most of the late 90s was like that wasn't it? We had the big stuff like Ailsa's accident and Robert Perez stalking the Nashes (there were so many more, but that's just a few!) and not much else in between.

5 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

God, I remember that. Egan was a humongous tosser.

Yeah, Don made Casey feel about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit.

1997 was a strange time for the show. You either got some good stuff like the Cyclone or some other meh filler.

I thought the Cyclone was in 1996 when Michael died. 

5 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

I thought the Cyclone was in 1996 when Michael died. 

Nope, totally separate.

1997-2000 was an excellent period of the show, just often overlooked and often mis-perpetuated as a "dip", perhaps because it's rarely been repeated so memories are fuzzy. It's certainly way better than 2001 onwards.

Edited by Sally Keating
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sally Keating said:

Nope, totally separate.

1997-2000 was an excellent period of the show, just often overlooked and often mis-perpetuated as a "dip", perhaps because it's rarely been repeated so memories are fuzzy. It's certainly way better than 2001 onwards.

The show was excellent from 1988 - 2000/2001.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 13:00, jakeyy. said:

At the end of this promo, it states: Forecast - Storms Ahead.

im having trouble remembering what happened in 1999, referring to the storms, aka drama ahead.

were any of the short-lived 1999 debutees in this promo besides new Natalie Nash?

Early 1999 would be all the stuff with David DiAngelo stalking the Nashes and burning down their house: Maybe to do with that?

A quick run-through didn't pick out any 1999 debutantes, but I guess if they weren't going to appear for months they probably wouldn't be on there.