Kate Ritchie news

Guest Heathsgirl

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very disappointed that Kate u=is leaving as she has said on numerous occasions that she won't leave voluntarily and it would be down to the writers and producers! She also said she had signed a new contract for a year but it doesn't seem that long ago. If anyone saw her interview on 5 she said she wasn't going,but there was a time she tought about it. she's had time off to do radio and it takes two,so she was obviously preparing for her departure but she also said she would carry on if she could do other things,there was also an interview in inside soap, i feel she's misled us but then again maybe she didn't want to let the cat out of the bag till she was ready. Ah well it will be a sad day when she goes. :(

Devastating news for the show :(

As someone has already said, Sally has become to the show what Pippa was in the 90's, and this is certainly true within the past couple of years.

However, I think the worst thing the show can possibly do is get rid of another of its most recognised and popular assets in a move to 'revamp' the show with her departure - it needs to cling onto all that it has at the moment, and work on moulding a new head figure on the show.

Best of luck , Kate. Definitely going to be missed

However, I think the worst thing the show can possibly do is get rid of another of its most recognised and popular assets in a move to 'revamp' the show with her departure - it needs to cling onto all that it has at the moment, and work on moulding a new head figure on the show.

I'd like to think that with Sally going, they'll move Leah into a more central position in the show. She's a popular, well established character, she's got the experience and, let's face it, she needs to play more of a role than she has been doing lately. Seeing as Dan and Leah can't have any more children, it's highly possible that they might adopt or foster, so they could easily take over from Sally in that respect. They've already taken Drew in and seem to be great parent figures. Maybe they could even buy SB house!

I'd like to think that with Sally going, they'll move Leah into a more central position in the show. She's a popular, well established character, she's got the experience and, let's face it, she needs to play more of a role than she has been doing lately. Seeing as Dan and Leah can't have any more children, it's highly possible that they might adopt or foster, so they could easily take over from Sally in that respect. They've already taken Drew in and seem to be great parent figures. Maybe they could even buy SB house!

That's a fantastic idea! I'd love that.

SOURCE

2003520197947297960_rs.jpg

September 27, 2007

In 1988 Kate Ritchie, then aged 10, auditioned for the role of Sally Fletcher on the soap opera Home and Away , with her mum Heather by her side. At 6.30am yesterday Ritchie, now 29, arrived at the Sunrise studio in Martin Place to announce her plan to quit the show, her mother again at her side.

"It's funny. My parents are the opposite of stage parents. They haven't pushed themselves onto my career at all throughout the 20 years, but it was like those two moments were bookends. It was really nice having Mum there," she said.

Audiences have watched Ritchie transform from a little girl with an imaginary friend into Australia's sweetheart. She will film her final scenes in December, and will be seen on air until April. Yesterday, her only emotion was relief.

"Home and Away is a huge part of who I am, and what I am going to do next is not my worry. It's more how I function without what has been my greatest comfort. I will forever hold all my years on Home and Away very dear, but I am a 29-year-old woman who has been doing the same job for 20 years, and it's just time for a change."

Ritchie says she has no immediate plans, although she has an interest in architecture and design, as well as directing, writing and continuing to work as an actress: "There are so many things I am interested in at this stage, but I am going to wait and see what comes my way."

Before announcing her plans, Ritchie said, she discussed the decision with her boyfriend, friends and family.

"I came to the decision earlier in the year and I guess when you say it out loud it becomes real," she said. "I have never once felt like this was the wrong decision. It's not something I decided overnight - it's been a long time coming."

More worrying for the Home and Away star will be her last day on set, which she says will be "a very difficult day for me … What I will probably be most sad about is having to say goodbye to Sally Fletcher, as silly as that may sound."

She is also uncertain about being unemployed in an industry that has an unemployment rate of about 98 per cent. "The thought of unemployment has not really entered my head at this point, and I certainly didn't want to make the decision to stay with Home and Away for another 10 years out of fear. I have faith the universe will look after me."

Archived