Support Group

Dan F

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Wow! No such thing as a free blood test in Ireland, unless you're on a medical card in which the state pays all your medical bills.

It isnt really free.... the tax we pays goes towards medicare which covers the bulk of our GP visits, public hospital stays and tests like blood test... thats with the public system the private system is diffferent.

That sounded really patronizing. I've been on antidepressants for six months, I know how they work. I also know how much of my own money I've spent on them - not through medicare or taxes, or my parents' taxes, just my own cold hard cash - so I know how nice it is not to have to do that this time. It's a big deal for me. I'm happy about it. I don't need to know the technicalities to know that I get to keep $85 of my $100-per-fortnight allowance that I otherwise wouldn't, if I had to pay for drugs and blood tests, as I have done in the past.

Sorry if I'm being too aggressive or defensive. I'm also awaiting results on a bi-polar test :rolleyes:

I wasnt trying to be patronising, I was actually trying to help. As this is the support thread and Ive been working in mental health for many years, I thought I might be able to help a bit. I didnt know you were on anti-deps, or how long for . Or how much you knew about how they work. Forgive me for not being a mind reader, no need to jump down my throat for it. But reading your post, it seemed you were surpised that your doc gave your free samples and you didnt have to pay for a blood test. It isnt unusual for docs to give free samples and Im surprised when you say you need to pay for blood tests. Ive never had to nor have I heard of anyone who has. Im curious about your bi-polar test. What does it involve? At the risk of sounding patronising again, a psychatrist will diagose you after he has spent a few sessions with you and you have met certain criteria according to whatever diagnostic tool he uses.

You read and replied to my posts about my situation on the last page, so I only expected you to be informed by those.

The bi-polar thing was only a survey to see if it's a potential issue. I left it with my doctor to mark, and I won't see her again for another two weeks.

I know you're not trying to be patronizing, which is why I said "sounded," not "is." If you have been in the business for years, then you know that people like me aren't mentally or emotionally stable and often read personal criticisms and attacks into things when they're not really there. Of all the threads on this board, this is the last one I want to start a fight in. This is supposed to be a safe place where I can express my feelings and get feedback from people who feel the same way or who have been there and know what I'm going through. I'm not interested in being judged for doing the wrong thing with my course of treatment, or for being too stupid to get everything for free all the time. Once again, I know I'm reading criticism where there is no criticism, but I am paranoid enough to believe that you're calling me a liar by saying that you've never had to pay for anything and never heard of anyone that has. I'm not lying. I'm not making this up. I'm having a rough time. mentally, physically, and financially, and I'm taking it out on random bystanders. I know that's wrong and I'm sorry, but it is what it is and I can't do much about it until I get back on an effective medication. I can only say what I'm thinking and feeling so that I don't go completely insane, trying to keep it all bottled up inside my own messed-up head.

I guess this makes no sense, but that's what I like about this thread, you can rant and rave and it doesn't have to make sense, it just has to be heard, and preferably understood by someone. When you talk to me about technicalities and medicare, I don't feel understood on an emotional level, I feel patronized for not knowing as much about the bare facts of the clinical situation as you do. It's not helpful to me at this point in time to hear about how other people do things so much more responsibly and efficiently than me, because I already feel completely useless and pathetic. But once I start taking the antidepressants again, and I (hopefully) become more stable and more like a normal person with appropriate responses to things, I will probably be able to appreciate your advice, as I'm sure other people are appreciating it.

^ Wow! No such thing as a free blood test in Ireland, unless you're on a medical card in which the state pays all your medical bills.

It isnt really free.... the tax we pays goes towards medicare which covers the bulk of our GP visits, public hospital stays and tests like blood test... thats with the public system the private system is diffferent.

Oh I see. Our PRSI (pay related social insurance) sounds like something similar but it only covers routine dental and optical check-ups as far as I know.

I haven't been in here in a while, and I'd like to say why. I'm on antidepressants: Effexor. It. Is. AWESOME! Zoloft was a kind of hell that I thought I just had to endure if I wanted to be "normal," but then my doctor switched me to Effexor and... I love it!! I don't feel any different in my personality, I just feel a lot better equipped to see things clearly and not to worry so much about things that don't matter or that I can't change. My advice to anyone suffering depression or anxiety is to ask your doctor about this stuff. It may not work for everyone, but I've been on it for a month and a half and it's certainly worked for me! That's not to say that I don't still get down some days, or that I don't get frustrated and upset, but the medication helps me to see that those feelings are normal and okay - I don't have to beat myself up for being "weak" and "selfish," and I certainly don't have to dwell on the things that are upsetting me until I'm gripped by an emotional paralysis. I can deal with them and move on, or I can put them aside until I find an appropriate course of action. I've said in here that I was worried about being treated like a drug-addict for taking antidepressants. I'm not anymore. I don't care what people think of me, and that's brilliant. I'm so much more confident in myself, I even dress better because I actually believe that I can look beautiful now - I thought that before too, but it was always tainted with thoughts of "vanity" or being "deluded." :rolleyes: Well, if this is delusion, then I'm quite happy to be deluded! I feel great :)

On the addict issue, I summed it up to a friend like this: I wear glasses to help me see clearly. If I didn't wear them, I could still see, but everything would be fuzzy. I'd misinterpret things and that could put myself and other people in danger. I wear glasses to make my vision clear, and I take antidepressants to make my thoughts clear. Taking an antidepressant every morning is no different to putting my glasses on. I have nothing to be ashamed of or apologize for. This is me, I'm on medication, and I feel great :)

So I was reading through the thread because I was just a tad bored and came across this post.

My doctors switched me onto that almost 2 weeks ago because the 3 previous medications I've been on haven't worked. It hasn't been long enough to know if it'll work or not, but reading your post has made me feel hopeful instead of doubtful.

:)

That sounded really patronizing. I've been on antidepressants for six months, I know how they work. I also know how much of my own money I've spent on them - not through medicare or taxes, or my parents' taxes, just my own cold hard cash - so I know how nice it is not to have to do that this time. It's a big deal for me. I'm happy about it. I don't need to know the technicalities to know that I get to keep $85 of my $100-per-fortnight allowance that I otherwise wouldn't, if I had to pay for drugs and blood tests, as I have done in the past.

Sorry if I'm being too aggressive or defensive. I'm also awaiting results on a bi-polar test :rolleyes:

I wasnt trying to be patronising, I was actually trying to help. As this is the support thread and Ive been working in mental health for many years, I thought I might be able to help a bit. I didnt know you were on anti-deps, or how long for . Or how much you knew about how they work. Forgive me for not being a mind reader, no need to jump down my throat for it. But reading your post, it seemed you were surpised that your doc gave your free samples and you didnt have to pay for a blood test. It isnt unusual for docs to give free samples and Im surprised when you say you need to pay for blood tests. Ive never had to nor have I heard of anyone who has. Im curious about your bi-polar test. What does it involve? At the risk of sounding patronising again, a psychatrist will diagose you after he has spent a few sessions with you and you have met certain criteria according to whatever diagnostic tool he uses.

You read and replied to my posts about my situation on the last page, so I only expected you to be informed by those.

The bi-polar thing was only a survey to see if it's a potential issue. I left it with my doctor to mark, and I won't see her again for another two weeks.

I know you're not trying to be patronizing, which is why I said "sounded," not "is." If you have been in the business for years, then you know that people like me aren't mentally or emotionally stable and often read personal criticisms and attacks into things when they're not really there. Of all the threads on this board, this is the last one I want to start a fight in. This is supposed to be a safe place where I can express my feelings and get feedback from people who feel the same way or who have been there and know what I'm going through. I'm not interested in being judged for doing the wrong thing with my course of treatment, or for being too stupid to get everything for free all the time. Once again, I know I'm reading criticism where there is no criticism, but I am paranoid enough to believe that you're calling me a liar by saying that you've never had to pay for anything and never heard of anyone that has. I'm not lying. I'm not making this up. I'm having a rough time. mentally, physically, and financially, and I'm taking it out on random bystanders. I know that's wrong and I'm sorry, but it is what it is and I can't do much about it until I get back on an effective medication. I can only say what I'm thinking and feeling so that I don't go completely insane, trying to keep it all bottled up inside my own messed-up head.

I guess this makes no sense, but that's what I like about this thread, you can rant and rave and it doesn't have to make sense, it just has to be heard, and preferably understood by someone. When you talk to me about technicalities and medicare, I don't feel understood on an emotional level, I feel patronized for not knowing as much about the bare facts of the clinical situation as you do. It's not helpful to me at this point in time to hear about how other people do things so much more responsibly and efficiently than me, because I already feel completely useless and pathetic. But once I start taking the antidepressants again, and I (hopefully) become more stable and more like a normal person with appropriate responses to things, I will probably be able to appreciate your advice, as I'm sure other people are appreciating it.

I wasnt calling you a liar. I believe you, truly. I think you are reading more between the lines and perhaps your depression is distorting your view on things and misinterprating my intentions which were meant to be nothing but supportive. When I talked about medicare etc I was not at all trying to patronise you or make you feel any worse. As I said, I work in mental health, so perhaps I have more insights into the system than others, which is in no way shape or form is a criticsm of you or others. I wasnt saying "you should know this" but "perhaps you dont know this and maybe this might help". Bear in mind I dont know you, I dont know how old you are, how long you have been taking meds etc etc. Even though I have worked in the field for years, you really cant expect me to know that how you reacted to what I said was because you are feeling unstable. I have no idea of your mental state. I would have to spend time with you to know that, and all I have are some posts on a public internet forum.

In any case, I hope that clears that up and I wish you all the best.

I haven't been in here in a while, and I'd like to say why. I'm on antidepressants: Effexor. It. Is. AWESOME! Zoloft was a kind of hell that I thought I just had to endure if I wanted to be "normal," but then my doctor switched me to Effexor and... I love it!! I don't feel any different in my personality, I just feel a lot better equipped to see things clearly and not to worry so much about things that don't matter or that I can't change. My advice to anyone suffering depression or anxiety is to ask your doctor about this stuff. It may not work for everyone, but I've been on it for a month and a half and it's certainly worked for me! That's not to say that I don't still get down some days, or that I don't get frustrated and upset, but the medication helps me to see that those feelings are normal and okay - I don't have to beat myself up for being "weak" and "selfish," and I certainly don't have to dwell on the things that are upsetting me until I'm gripped by an emotional paralysis. I can deal with them and move on, or I can put them aside until I find an appropriate course of action. I've said in here that I was worried about being treated like a drug-addict for taking antidepressants. I'm not anymore. I don't care what people think of me, and that's brilliant. I'm so much more confident in myself, I even dress better because I actually believe that I can look beautiful now - I thought that before too, but it was always tainted with thoughts of "vanity" or being "deluded." :rolleyes: Well, if this is delusion, then I'm quite happy to be deluded! I feel great

On the addict issue, I summed it up to a friend like this: I wear glasses to help me see clearly. If I didn't wear them, I could still see, but everything would be fuzzy. I'd misinterpret things and that could put myself and other people in danger. I wear glasses to make my vision clear, and I take antidepressants to make my thoughts clear. Taking an antidepressant every morning is no different to putting my glasses on. I have nothing to be ashamed of or apologize for. This is me, I'm on medication, and I feel great :)

So I was reading through the thread because I was just a tad bored and came across this post.

My doctors switched me onto that almost 2 weeks ago because the 3 previous medications I've been on haven't worked. It hasn't been long enough to know if it'll work or not, but reading your post has made me feel hopeful instead of doubtful.

:)

I'm really glad to hear that! :D I hope you haven't read my recent posts though, lol. Effexor kind of stopped working for me, which is really upsetting because it truly was awesome while I was on them and they were working. I'd still recommend it to anyone because just knowing that I have the capability to be normal is something that I need to remember, especially now, and Effexor gave that to me. I hadn't experienced that before. Thanks a lot for reminding me that things have been really good for me, and they really can be again. I'm sure things will be awesome for you in no time :)

I know how you feel, I lost my two cats I've had them for maybe 8 years, I didn't get a chance to say goodbye,, my mum just took them (without me knowing) took them apparently to the vet had them checked out then apparently went to new homes. But who knows maybe they were put down. I never got to say goodbye to my two best friends. :(

Archived