Support Group

Dan F

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mum took my two cats which I've had for 8 years to the animal hosptial because they apparently had the flu. Then she put them up for adpotion! I went to work yesterday morning thinking I would come home to my mum and 2 cats and when I came home she told me they were gone. I didn't even get to say goodbye! I don't want someone else to look after them. I am finding it hard to let go. The house is so empty without them, I cried for hours yesterday, I couldn't sleep properly. They are still apparently at the hosptail for treatment, I think my mum has to go there and pay them the money for the treatment so I am hoping I can go and see them one last time to say goodbye, I really need some closure. They feel like they are my babies. I miss them.... :unsure:

^That is so wrong :angry: Animals are not pieces of trash that you can throw away whenever you feel like it! I understand that it's probably a financial thing, and maybe your mum can't afford to pay for their whole course of treatment, but just taking them away from you without even telling you about it until they were already gone!? If my mum did that I would move out of home and never speak to her again. See how she likes having HER baby gone forever without any warning :angry: Luckily my mum actually would get rid of me before she'd get rid of one of our cats, but still...

Sorry Lily-G, this rant probably isn't helping and I don't know the whole story, but from that little bit of information, I'm not liking your mother right now. Tell her that an RSPCA volunteer would like to remind her that pets are a lifetime commitment, a part of your family, not soulless possessions that can be cast off at will. I'm sure your cats will be taken in to a good home, if that's any consolation. Both of my cats were adopted from the RSPCA when they were already adults, so don't worry, it's not just kittens that get a second chance :)

EDIT: I should put a disclaimer on that, saying that the official stance of the RSPCA is that you should always do what's in the best interest of the animal, and if that means giving them up for adoption so that they can be taken care of more appropriately, then that is unfortunately sometimes what has to be done. But to act like that kind of personal sacrifice should mean nothing to you... ugh. That is just not right. My personal opinion.

I'm just angry at her for not giving me the benefit of the doubt. I would have liked to have left the house thinking okay this is the last time I'm going to hold me two cats. My mum can afford the treatment for the cats. But because they always stay inside the house they need to get out more, but hello all we need to do is let them out more so they don't get sick. I really need to see them one last time to get some closure. And yes I agree cats are a lifetime commitment, I know it sounds horrbile but if they can't be with me then I don't want them alive, I know that souns so bad. But I don't want anyone else looking after them. They're my cats, I've had them since I was a child. I remember the first time I got them, I taught them tricks, I know it sounds stupid because they are jsut cats, but I love them so much. And I know people say "just get over it" but it's hard, I'm still crying.

I've had a think about it, and in a way I'm glad to hear you say that you wish they were dead instead of being given away, because when my old cat got sick and died, it happened so fast. One day we were taking her to the vet because she had a cough, then two days later I was watching her get put down, because she had pneumonia and the vet said that it would be cruel to let her live because she wasn't going to get any better, she was just going to get sicker and be in more pain. Maybe your mum isn't as bad as I think she is. Maybe she took the cats to the vet and found out that they were too sick and had to be put down, and she didn't want you to know. I'd ask her if I was you and see what she says.

No I think I am being selfish by saying I wish they were dead rather than being with someone else, They are at the vet to get better the chances of them getting better and fully recover is very high. So they are going to be adopted once they get better. So it is a horrible thing to say, if I was saying I rather them dead then suffering than I think that's in the best interest of the cats.

Lise, the cats are going to be a the vets for a couple of days for treatment. I would really like to see them once they are better. Maybe my mum will go and pay for the treatment, I could go with her and see them again. But the other thing is the vet is really far away. Anyway....

Kevin, I'm really sorry to hear about your Mum. I can't even begin to imagine my life without my Mum.

I was talking to my Dad this morning and he sounded the best he's sounded for...well, years. He said that he thinks he'll be home in about a month and he'll get day realeases before then. I don't know if this sounds mean or selfish but if he doesn't have himself sorted in a month when they send him home and he goes back to his old ways and does himself serious damage (his doctors have told us that if he touches another drop of alcohol in his life, he'll kill himself) then I'll be sooo angry with him - I can't do it all over, again. I just don't have it in me.

Archived