The Book Thread

MarMar

I'm reading all these books for a Children's Literature course next semester. They haven't been bad so far, but it would be nice if there was more than one book on the list that was written within the last 50 years! :rolleyes:

I'm doing children's lit at uni next year (my final year). No Winnie the Pooh unfortunately, but there's Harry Potter, Peter the Rabbit and Treasure Island, amongst others. I've yet to read a single thing though. :rolleyes:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this in the Nerdfighter thread too :P.

Finished reading Looking for Alaska now starting An Abundance of Katherines, both by John Green. I really liked Alaska. It actually made me think about "the labyrinth", which I didn't expect when I started the book.

OOOF. I actually bought Looking for Alaska on Ebay a few days ago. :lol: It looks great!

Finished "reading" The Magic Pudding. I pretty much just rolled my eyes over the last 80 pages to absorb the one or two pages worth of actual information. If it wasn't a library book, I'd have ripped it to pieces out of pure frustration.

Thankfully, that's OVER and I've been able to move on to the next book on my list, The Wizard of Oz. I'm not a huge fan of the movie, but the book is infinitely better than The Magic Pudding, and I'm just thanking every lucky star in the heavens that I get to read something with a plot!

Finished The Wizard of Oz! It was so easy to read, and enjoyable. A bit darker than the movie, but it was appropriate. Real fairytale stuff. The only problem was, I had a bad dream about the Lion after reading it. There's a bit in the book where it says that he's the only lion in the forest because all the other lions got killed by a monster... so I dreamed about him finding the other lions dead, and being all alone, and it was sad. No wonder he was a coward! If he died, there'd be no lions left at all! :(

Next book on the list is On The Banks Of Plum Creek. Apparently it has something to do with Little House On The Prairie. Alrighty then.

I've just finished reading that book! Hehe it is kinda scary XD Awesome book though

It really was! Reading it by day was fine .. but at night .. never again :lol:

Now I'm reading the 'Gemma' series by Noel Streatfield, simply because I'm a bit stuck for inspiration, and find that reading back over children's books regularly helps.

Have you read any other Noel Streatfeild, Symphony? I loved Ballet Shoes, and Noel also wrote a book called 'The Painted Garden', which brings together the characters from Ballet Shoes with the story of The Secret Garden [another of my very favourite children's books]. What happens is, some characters go to America and one ends up acting in a film of The Secret Garden, and also meets Posy and Pauline from Ballet Shoes. Getting all misty eyed thinking about it now!

Archived