The Book Thread

MarMar

I FINALLY finished reading The Chronicles of Narnia!! I'm not one for battles, so when I saw that the last book was called "The Last Battle," I was concerned. And rightly so. It's quite a disturbing, depressing, and oddly graphic tale of death and destruction... buuut it all turns out alright in the end, so I guess I'm happy. Hail Aslan! :)

Have you seen the movies yet? I like them better. I just think the characters have more interesting personalities than in the books, while remaining convincingly a product of the 1940s. The humour that's injected into the story helps too.

I recently read Animorphs #25, one that I missed back in the days when I was obsessed with it. What I can't believe is how much of it was ripped off to make #44, a book that I hated because it was nothing but a 140 page excuse to put a kangaroo morph on the front cover, with no relevance to the overarching story line and not much humour (except for the bit at the end Rachel explains to Cassie that buying a postcard from the zoo does not count as shopping). The geographical accuracy is questionable too.

That said, #25 was pretty good. Marco's narration helped.

I've also just read the play Speaking in Tongues, which the film Lantana was based on. It's good, but it's obvious reading it how much wouldn't have worked cinematically.

I'm in the middle of reading Break No Bones for one of my TAFE classes. This kind of forensic investigation doesn't usually interest me as much as the profiling angle in the Poirot novels, or the first two Hannibal Lecter books, but it's still good.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton.

Yet, I have read that book about twelve times and can recite the first page without looking, but I love it muchly =]

Also, I am reading Siberia

I love The Outsiders so much!! I read it about twice a year and have done for the last ten years, lol.

I'm reading Indelible by Karin Slaughter.

I FINALLY finished reading The Chronicles of Narnia!! I'm not one for battles, so when I saw that the last book was called "The Last Battle," I was concerned. And rightly so. It's quite a disturbing, depressing, and oddly graphic tale of death and destruction... buuut it all turns out alright in the end, so I guess I'm happy. Hail Aslan! :)

Have you seen the movies yet? I like them better. I just think the characters have more interesting personalities than in the books, while remaining convincingly a product of the 1940s. The humour that's injected into the story helps too.

I recently read Animorphs #25, one that I missed back in the days when I was obsessed with it. What I can't believe is how much of it was ripped off to make #44, a book that I hated because it was nothing but a 140 page excuse to put a kangaroo morph on the front cover, with no relevance to the overarching story line and not much humour (except for the bit at the end Rachel explains to Cassie that buying a postcard from the zoo does not count as shopping). The geographical accuracy is questionable too.

That said, #25 was pretty good. Marco's narration helped.

I've also just read the play Speaking in Tongues, which the film Lantana was based on. It's good, but it's obvious reading it how much wouldn't have worked cinematically.

I've seen The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, but I didn't like it. It felt like it was more about special effects and "cool" war scenes than any kind of story. I prefer the books that aren't about Lucy, Edmund, Peter, and Susan anyway, because, I agree, they are really boring characters. I love the old cartoon though.

I keep buying Animorph books because I loved the TV series, but I've never got around to reading them. The latest one I picked up has a whale morph on the cover. It irritates me slightly because I've recently been studying whale skeletons, and know that the legs of a human don't correspond to the tail of a whale at all. But that's just being really picky about it :P

Lantana was a good movie. Sad, but good.

I'm halfway through The Wind in the Willows. It's really quite boring. I don't mind kids' books about animals, but I'd prefer them to do something other than have lunch and comment on how nice everyone's home is. It's almost 300 pages... 120 in, nothing's happened... *shudder.*

I posted this in the Nerdfighter thread too :P.

Finished reading Looking for Alaska now starting An Abundance of Katherines, both by John Green. I really liked Alaska. It actually made me think about "the labyrinth", which I didn't expect when I started the book.

I posted this in the Nerdfighter thread too :P.

Finished reading Looking for Alaska now starting An Abundance of Katherines, both by John Green. I really liked Alaska. It actually made me think about "the labyrinth", which I didn't expect when I started the book.

Ahh! DFTBA

I've read both Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns, both awesome, and I've had An Abundance if Katherines since Christmas. I don't know why, but the concept hasn't pulled me in and I keep forgetting to read it. I really must do it, because his other books are awesome

Finished The Wind in the Willows. Something sort of happened, eventually, but it still wasn't very interesting. The descriptions go on forever and the characters are all horrid.

Now I'm reading The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne. Again, nothing much happens, but it's pretty much to the point and the characters are fun. I'm enjoying it :)

I read "Seven Little Australians" last night. It was written over 100 years ago, and by today's standards, the child-abuse is pretty horrific. Back then I guess it was acceptable to repeatedly whip and beat a six year old... *shudder.* It's hard to take my mind back that far and say that it was "normal" because... I really don't want to get into the habit of thinking that something like that would ever be okay. Apart from that, the writing was really good, and oddly contemporary. Don't know about the plot. I guess it was okay. Not very pleasant though... Interesting, I guess. I don't regret reading it.

I'm reading all these books for a Children's Literature course next semester. They haven't been bad so far, but it would be nice if there was more than one book on the list that was written within the last 50 years! :rolleyes:

Archived