The Book Thread

MarMar

I abandoned the Little House book for a while. It was just so boring. To be fair, I didn't give it much of a chance, but I really don't see 19th century American prairie life appealing to me all that much. Soooo... I'm taking a break from the Children's Lit reading list, and reading something that *I* want to read - The Shining!! :D I've had it for ages, and of course I know the story, but I've never read the book until now. It is great :D (It's Stephen King - of course it's great!) I read 100 pages last night and I only put it down when my eyes refused to stay in focus anymore lol. I'd be reading it right now, but I like the idea of it being dark and quiet in the house while I'm reading. It's more fun that way. Can't wait to get back to it tonight! ^_^

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I abandoned the Little House book for a while. It was just so boring. To be fair, I didn't give it much of a chance, but I really don't see 19th century American prairie life appealing to me all that much. Soooo... I'm taking a break from the Children's Lit reading list, and reading something that *I* want to read - The Shining!! :D I've had it for ages, and of course I know the story, but I've never read the book until now. It is great :D (It's Stephen King - of course it's great!) I read 100 pages last night and I only put it down when my eyes refused to stay in focus anymore lol. I'd be reading it right now, but I like the idea of it being dark and quiet in the house while I'm reading. It's more fun that way. Can't wait to get back to it tonight! ^_^

I used to watch The Little House on the Prairie TV series (about twenty-odd years ago now :blink:). I was hugely disappointed when I got the book tho - I agree, it was incredibly boring. If you ever get the chance to watch the TV series tho, try and catch it, it was brilliant and the characters of snobby Nellie and her little brother Willie were very, very funny.

*sigh* I wish I could do a Children's Lit course instead of my boring job.

ETA: Plus I quite liked Michael Landon, who played the Ingles kids' Dad! :wub:

Finished The Shining! :D The ending was completely different to the movie, but they're both great! So it was a nice surprise to get to the end of it and not know what was going to happen :D

I could have done without thinking that hedge animals are going to maul and kill me, but that's what you get for reading horror in the middle of the night. *Shiver* :(

I went out today and brought some books. Books I've been wanting to read for some time now. Sooo, I brought Half Of A Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and The Other Hand by Chris Cleave.

I've already started The Other Hand. From the first page it had me gripped. I can already tell this is going to be up there with my favourites. Usually the blur draws me in to a book. However with this one, the blur was very vague. Intentional to. That, I found intriguing. Even though I haven't finished it yet I definitely recommend it! Along with the other two books of course. :D

I went out today and brought some books. Books I've been wanting to read for some time now. Sooo, I brought Half Of A Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and The Other Hand by Chris Cleave.

I've already started The Other Hand. From the first page it had me gripped. I can already tell this is going to be up there with my favourites. Usually the blur draws me in to a book. However with this one, the blur was very vague. Intentional to. That, I found intriguing. Even though I haven't finished it yet I definitely recommend it! Along with the other two books of course. :D

Ohh those are 3 of my favourite books :) Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is one of my favourite authors, f you lke Half of a Yellow Sun you should read Purple Hibiscus which is just brilliant.

Three Cups of Tea is so inspiring, i loved it. Hope you enjoyed The Other Hand, i found it totally gripping and tragic.

Archived