2023 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Wednesday - Oh, god, Felicity's found yet another excuse to get antsy about the wedding (namely, because the last one was a dumpster fire). We're going to be here all year, aren't we. :rolleyes: Ditto, probably, for Eden's selective amnesia - talk about low stakes.

On the plus side, I was glad we opted for a realistic wrap-up to the Bree situation, and pleased for her that she doesn't get dragged through maximum drama simply for defending himself. Also enjoying Rose and Mali so far. And Mali calling Alf 'Mr Stewart' - finally, a bit of a respect around here after years of youngsters thinking the rules no longer apply to them. :lol:

Thursday - I knew exactly where Mali's cop-averse storyline was going (and yes, I do think it was also the subtext of his awkwardness around Alf the other day) and fully understand his feelings - these attitudes aren't born from nowhere. But even sharing his qualms about the institutional problems that are often intrinsic to the police, he was a bit unfair to Rose as an individual in how he reacted and could have just explained things upfront. (Or have asked about her career during their date in the first place, which would usually feel like pretty much a given.) Glad they got past it anyway, although possible it won't be the last we hear of it.

Felicity continued to annoy - again, it's more an aggregation of similar storylines for her that's the issue, rather than any lack of plausibility about her reaction to the accident per se. However, even so, my immediate reaction to Gabe throwing shade at her was, 'What, you jilted your fiancée for money at her father's behest, and now after two episodes of forgiveness you think you get to tell her how to run her business and be all judgy about people you don't even know?' Mack was right to tear a firm strip off him although I was surprised she didn't go further, in honesty.

Those extras at the party were really going for it - there seems to be an inverse proportionality between the amount of lines one has and the amount of crazy dancing required.

Forgot to mention previously that the cynic in me felt like Remi not wanting to go to the hospital for the relapse with his arm was some childish reaction to Bree rejecting him after what happened with Jacob.

Felt a bit sorry for Rose although at least Mali gave her a second chance.  Wonder how long before she decides to do a background check on him.

Whilst I think it's commendable how Mackenzie has Felicity's back and I have found him a bit annoying, I do think from a business perspective Gabe has a valid point.  I don't think this is quite the same but she made a very bad decision when she lent Nathan the cash even though Salt was in trouble so she can let the heart rule the head.  If Felicity keeps doing this there will come a point where Mackenzie will be forced to put her foot down.

Glad Felicity told Tane how she had been struggling since the accident.  Whilst some people might feel recent antics reflect Felicity not wanting to get married right now, I think especially given she was under the influence of alcohol, she was expressing how she about tying the knot in general.

Thanks Dan F.

Where did all those party goers come from, do that many people actually live in the bay?  Do TPTB hire them from the same place as Wedding guests??

As I thought it did look like Felicity hadn't been offered counselling at the hospital, she had been through a very traumatic ordeal, or maybe she was and declined it.  It certainly explains her terror of arranging another wedding and having to be driven to a location.   Come to think of it she was pretty edgy when she was being driven home form the hospital. Sadly her way of dealing with it is blotting it out by getting drunk.  I'm in the she does want to get married to Tane camp.  

I'm glad Cash suggested to  Rose ask Mali what his problem was and once she did  she knew it wasn't anything personal.  Seemed a good result by them going for another date to see how it goes.  

Can't have been that jolly for Cash seeing everyone - well nearly everyone  - having fun, which was why he took himself off and was sitting quietly when John came over and had  a quiet word, he can be sensitive when he likes.  He does know what it is like for someone you love who doesn't remember your relationship. Let's not forget - no pun intended - he's been there with Marilyn who forgot she was married to him after she was electrocuted, thinking she was still married to Donald. 

OK not a good idea for Flick strolling into SALT, helping herself to the booze and leaving Tane to go and pick it up. It wouldn't have looked good for business, did Gabe really not know who she was? I had the same thought about Dean having his meals for free, they must add up over time,? though what Flick picked up wouldn't have been cheap. 

I'm guessing from what Gabe said he doesn't have any idea of what Mac went through financially before Felicity stepped in.  Mac knows Felicity has been/going through a hard time so is allowing her some slack, she did the same for her which of course Gabe had no idea about.   Flick will pay her back in some way.

Oh yes Mac found out she is an Aunty!  Gabe wasn't sharing her excitement. 

Looks like, by the preview,  people are being allowed to visit Ziggy, Dean and babe. 

And Friday... Poor Ziggy not having a great time of it post-birth, by the looks of things. Not sure if Karen's instinct to skip out was the right one but it was certainly well-intentioned. Not sure what 'anti-breastfeeding extra' was scowling at, given Ziggy was not only entirely covered but so was the baby. :lol: Not that it would've mattered if they weren't. It does make me wonder where people get their attitudes from that they would be so offended by a baby feeding.

Gabe continues to get up my nose. Mackenzie tells him to drop his constant whining about Felicity damaging the business, and within minutes he's brought it up again. Hopefully now Mack's laid out the history of their partnership he'll pipe down a bit. I do think Kirby and Theo performing alone is a reasonable solution to the Lyrik problem, though, and surely the others won't object if it's keeping a roof over all their heads. Eden and Remi have barely been involved in band storylines for months anyway, so it kind of feels like it's already gone that way.

On 24/03/2023 at 17:00, Dan F said:

Luc was born in January 2017 (March in UK) which makes her six years old now... just thought I'd put that out there, so that it's clear in everyone's minds, for no particular reason... :ph34r:

Ahh, now it makes sense. :lol: Yes, bit of a slip-up today (or at least, I can't imagine it's a deliberate retcon because why?) Surprised to hear overtures towards Leah going to Cyprus again - I'd have thought they'd have taken advantage of the car crash and shipped her to the big hospital in The City for a few weeks if Ada was having a break.

Alf's episode count this week:Three. Rather a sparse one, with Irene, Justin, Dean and Rose the only other characters to manage three episodes.

So, yes, Dean, Ziggy and Ms Thompson make their first round of the good folk of Summer Bay, and Justin finally gets to meet his, um, ex-step-niece? Karen has done very well in not being too full-on and being genuinely helpful, but I can understand her reasons for not wanting to get in the way when Ziggy's feeling insecure: There's nothing that'll make you feel worse when you're in that mood than someone else finding what you can't do easy.

I'll give Gabe credit for coming back and giving Mackenzie a hand and some advice.He did push the issue with Felicity unnecessarily, but now that Mackenzie's explained their history, hopefully he'll back off.The idea of half of Lyrik playing is a good one in theory, but Justin's right that it's the sort of thing that's caused tension in the past.I guess all he can do is put it to the band and see what they think, I doubt Theo and Kirby would do it if Remi or Eden objected.

Yes, I also went "Ohh, that's why Dan said that" when I saw that scene! It is disappointing that apparently no-one on the show bothered to turn on a computer and look up when Luc was born. (Assuming that is what happened: I actually can think of a reason why they'd want to retcon Luc's age but it's incredibly convoluted.) Still, it's nice to hear VJ and Luc mentioned and that they're still doing well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, atrus said:

OK, now I'm curious?

Okay, well it's based on an unconfirmed spoiler, and ironically things may or may not have moved on since I posted on here last night but here goes:

Spoiler

There's an unconfirmed rumour that Lily Smith-Nash might be coming to live with Irene, a la Olivia. Lily was, of course, born the same day as VJ. If they decide to make Lily closer to her original age rather than her SORASed age or even younger (again, a la Olivia), they might not want to imply VJ had a child, even a non-biological one, when he was only just 16 (or whatever) so they've taken a year off Luc's age to disguise it.

Except today there's another unconfirmed rumour (which may or may not be an April Fool's joke) that Matt Little is coming back as VJ. I doubt they'd get him to play VJ even younger, but maybe there's another reason for making Luc younger, like they want to do the "first day of school" storyline alluded to here.

Bear in mind that all that is just my random musings based on things that might not be true, and it could just be a case of them not checking the details!

• Thanks 1

Ah, OK, cheers - yeah, that does make some sense if the rumours turn out to be correct.

Spoiler

Most surprised to hear they might bring in Will and Gypsy's kid - I hadn't heard this. It feels like a bit of a 'back to basics' move and that the current status quo of sidelining the oldies and ignoring the past might finally be on the wane.

Best bit of Friday's H&A was Karen turning round to horrified lady and saying "You're eating, she's eating, what's wrong with that?"??  Good to see Zigg, Dean, Karen and babe out and about, Maz & Irene finally getting a sight of the little one.     Well I say that but she's not that much of a little one is she?  She seemed very aware of her surroundings for a what two/three week old.  So sorry Karen has decided to go home to Brett, I do like her and she's been marvellous with babe.  I bet Ziggy would never have thought Karen would have as helpful as she has been.  Loved the banter between John and Karen, only he could have got away with calling her grandma. 

Not that unusual a new mum has difficulties so Ziggy shouldn't feel she's a failure because every time she picks up babe she cries, babies do pick up on the tension, may be the way mum holds them and can tell they are not relaxed?  It was funny, though not really, that babe starred crying when Ziggy walked in the room when babe couldn't have seen her.  I'm kind of guessing Mac had seen babe before she was brought into SALT?  Justin finally rocked up too. I'd forgotten the family connection or rather ex family connection with Justin & Ziggy.   

That is strange TPTB lopping off a year of Luc's age, spooky as she was only mentioned on here recently  - did they read my mind? 

I may be way off here but has Ada been not well for real, only we have only seen Leah sitting down in her scenes this last couple of weeks and when we saw her standing it was only briefly??  I'm only  wildly guessing but has Leah been to see the doctor as she mentioned to Irene to see if she could manage the flight to Cyprus? 

Another person we haven't seen for yonks who was supposed to be a semi regular pops up next week. 

Ava rocks up and guess what she's now a teenager

I'm glad Mac put Gabe fully in the picture of why she feels she owes Felicity some slack.  Mac isn't that much of a fool and wouldn't let her push it too far.

Justin's initial reaction to Mac's idea of asking if Theo and Kirby could/would perform on their own was No Way, but he should ask them, all of of them, before giving a final answer.  Not as if it'll be forever - hopefully - it'll keep the fans interest going and help SALT.  

Edited by H&Alover

Remi was being an idiot, so the eventual pride-swallowing was welcome. I may have missed Eden giving her off-screen stamp of approval, but if it hasn't happened already, let's hope it does - she has enough moping material to be getting on with.

Seems like a spot of post-natal something-or-other for Ziggy. Hoping she's found fast and gets the support she needs.

Still not a big fan of Gabe, he seems like a subtly controlling personality.