Neighbours to end this year

ter06

48 minutes ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

I am pleased we still have H&A. Some may ask "But for how long". I would say "A long time as H&A rates very well in Australia".

I hope we see Stefan Dennis in H&A in the future.

Maybe as Robin Paulson who  sets up a hotel complex which gets Alf's goat...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 03/03/2022 at 10:36, Old H&A Fan said:

I wish they'd hurry up and put Home And Away to a dignified sleep. 37 years is one HELL of a stretch!!!

Where does Home And Away gets its funding from?

Channel 5 (bastards for what they did, still never forgave them 100% for what thry did to their own soap Family Affairs in 2005 which had an even shorter run) who provide like 60% of production costs.

And When exactly did you chuck in the towel? 1998 when you stopped the summaries? 1999 when the Prime rpts started?

Lets not turn this Neighbours thread into a H&A discussion please ?

I wouldn't normally be one to jump to Channel 5's defence, but they're not the ones to blame here. The price demanded by Fremantle meant C5 were reportedly losing £5million a year whilst they propped up Neighbours, it wasn't a sustainable investment for them whichever way you look at it.

Fremantle could have chosen to stump up more share of the production costs themselves instead of relying on C5. Or, whilst not ideal for cast/crew, made changes to produce the show to within C5's offer (which was already pretty high from all accounts). But it seems they refused to budge, so it's no wonder no-one else was interested in the deal either.

Apparently the suits would rather let it go than reduce their own profit, which begs the question as to how committed they really were to the show.

In the meantime, there's been a deafening silence from higher up at Fremantle, whilst fans pushed their protests/campaigns in the wrong direction to C5.

Some are still hoping for a final change of heart at the last minute. Not gonna happen. They need to gracefully accept that Neighbours is ending. I am sure all avenues had been considered before, and nothing has come up to save the show, and the axe falling on the show has been very likely for quite a long time due to what is happening between Channel 5 and Fremantle.

• 4 weeks later...

I think people forget it left BBC One because Fremantle wanted more cash, figures which were simply unjustifiable with public money, so a commercial network was the only option for the UK.

And now, it's no longer commercially viable for Channel 5 to carry it, or indeed any other broadcaster.

My only anger towards Channel 5 is the way they neglected Home and Away the minute Neighbours got snapped up.  Yet which soap will still be on air after August 1st?

H&A can do its Elton John impression after early August, it can say "I'm still standing" to Neighbours. It is true, H&A will still be standing.

H&A is not as homely as it used to be but now Neighbours is not much different, there has been a huge increase in kidnappings, lives in danger and school explosion/hostages etc.

• 2 weeks later...

For those wondering if the privatisation of Channel 4 will be a lifeline, no.  That process will take a good few years.

And there's no way they'll acquire it as a publicly owned company.  That'll add to the case for privatisation in both camps (you've got the right wingers who don't like the news bias, but you've also got those who point out the network is simply cowardly with its remit these days.)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived