Neighbours to end this year

ter06

Bizarre U Turn from C5 though - they sacrificed H&A's evening showing in favour of the Neighbours one, surely knowing this was coming down the track?

Even if they did put H&A back at 6pm, those viewers have moved on.  Neighbours has apparently been skewing older, which makes the decision not to have that show the lunchtime-only one a bit bizarre.

The only other broadcaster I could see picking it up is ITV, using it for ITV2, but not at £21m a year.  I don't think they were paying that for Home & Away at any point (inflation taken into account.)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think soaps are a thing of the past.

They used to get big ratings and were relatively inexpensive to make but I wonder how many were watching just because there was nothing else on. Nowadays you can watch what you want whenever.

I know when I was big into Home and Away as a teenager it was partly because it aired on RTE at the same time as I was getting my dinner and wanted something to watch.

And without being too disgusting, I wonder how much of the Australian soaps popularity was due to them being populated by attractive people in a sunny location. A lot of guys I know mainly watched for the girls. They're still full of attractive people but you can just load up Instagram for that now.

But that was the appeal of both shows in the late 1980's and early 1990's - like the UK but better weather, better scenery, better-looking people... and it provided genuine escapism compared to the grey, pedestrian misery of Coronation Street, Emmerdale Farm and EastEnders.

I get the impression now that productions such as Love Island do a far better job of that for the younger audiences, plus if you go on Love Island you've got a cushty career as an influencer afterwards (whatever the Hell one of those is) and the fandom can follow the journey on Insta.

Such heartbreaking news for the Cast/Crew, but C5 were making a loss on Neighbours despite how great it's been recently on screen and they want to use some of that money to invest in British Drama, which has been on such a high rise both on TV or on streaming platforms with the different amount of shows available to choose from and sadly the Soap genre is in decline.

But hopefully there is that some glimmer of hope that someone will save this iconic institution of a show, so much amazing moments, characters, storylines through the many eras/years and it's so sad to think all that could come to an end.

Neighbours has had a part of our lives in some way.

Please sign this petition if you haven't already:

https://www.change.org/p/channel-5-channel-5-don-t-axe-neighbours?signed=true

1 hour ago, UK_fan said:

Such heartbreaking news for the Cast/Crew, but C5 were making a loss on Neighbours despite how great it's been recently on screen and they want to use some of that money to invest in British Drama, which has been on such a high rise both on TV or on streaming platforms with the different amount of shows available to choose from and sadly the Soap genre is in decline.

But hopefully there is that some glimmer of hope that someone will save this iconic institution of a show, so much amazing moments, characters, storylines through the many eras/years and it's so sad to think all that could come to an end.

Neighbours has had a part of our lives in some way.

Please sign this petition if you haven't already:

https://www.change.org/p/channel-5-channel-5-don-t-axe-neighbours?signed=true

after that disgusting retcon of Glen Donnelly's disability as a disabled person myself i'm saying nup to Neighbours

20 minutes ago, CaptainHulk said:

Misdiagnosis is a thing but soaps have a habit of rewriting history.

These "Dramas" better be worth watching. Also, Pretty High and Mighty from a Channel that's all Bailiffs and Benefits 80% of the time.

not likely with his injuries after the fall though, equality cuts all ways not just the way they choose

Archived